2X Mirror Shields and Dredmor

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Rawk Hawk, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Rawk Hawk

Rawk Hawk Member

I know the main threat of dredmor is him throwing a barrage of spells at you right? And I know a Mirror shield reflects 49 (and a mirror darkly 50) so I was wondering if you were to dual wield these shields would you have a 98% spell reflection stat and be almost immune to dredmor's spells?

also more importantly do you need dual wield for the 98%

2. Giygas

Giygas Member

Thor's Bolt and Arctic Swirly can't be reflected.

If it's not a projectile (like an arrow, but magic) then it can't be reflected.

3. Gaidren

Gaidren Member

Some of his spells aren't reflectable, most notably the lightning (which hits HARD).

That being said, double mirror shield still helps a ton vs. Dred and negates a lot of what he does.

4. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

Mirror shields + something that causes burning/bleeding and run away. Repeat until he is dead. I usually have a whole armory worth of consumables to toss at him by the time I get there. As said, some of the stuff he casts gets through anyway. Something that causes silence also works, I think, it's worth holding on to those sonic wands for him. Also try to have some potions of purification or a zodiac wand to deal with the arctic wind dot.

Most of the time he casts that acid bolt spell that is reflected.

5. 0x517A5D

0x517A5D Member

While you certainly need one in each hand, I don't believe you need the Dual Wield skilltree.

6. Giygas

Giygas Member

I thought he asked if you need to dual wield the shields :p

You need to equip both shields (obviously) but dual wield is not required.

7. Rawk Hawk

Rawk Hawk Member

Great thats what I wanted to hear.

I went balls to the wall necronomiconomics and at about floor 3 I realized "oh god my only other damage is from Astrology im so boned when I get to him"

8. Rawk Hawk

Rawk Hawk Member

So if his biggest damage spell is a lightining bolt would my current 15 voltaic resistance help a lot in this regard? Or is it some weird damage type

9. Giygas

Giygas Member

It would help, but the Bolt does a LOT of damage.

It's mostly :dam_voltaic: but there's some :dmg_blast: too.

10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It's voitaic for his strongest spell, but it's 50-some of it (or some more, I don't remember now)

11. Shwqa

Shwqa Member

his thor f bolt does 55:dam_voltaic:and has a good chance to stun

12. Wootah

Wootah Member

Lots of :magic_resist: can proc a resist, reducing the bolt damage and making :resist_voltaic: more effective.

13. Lorrelian

Lorrelian Member

I'm pretty sure that the new On Fire status effect won't do any actual damage to Dredmor...

14. Rawk Hawk

Rawk Hawk Member

Yeah the mirror shields give a good chunk of magic resist too.

That plus ALL the astrology buffs is a lot of Magic resist

15. Space Cat

Space Cat Member

I don't know if it's a bug, but no amount of :magic_resist: will stop thor's bolt. I finaly hit 101 :magic_resist: on my the melee tank I was building just to watch a thorling punch right threw it for 30:dam_voltaic: with nary a resist notice. After testing a while only the paralyze part of the spell seems resistible, tested it with rational explanation up as well even at 126 :magic_resist: the damage still goes threw.

16. 0x517A5D

0x517A5D Member

JFYI, a week ago I utterly creamed him with the Astrology capstone and no other spells, and only mana restorer skills. I was completely safe the whole time. I didn't lose a single HP.

I just repeatedly zapped him from the other side of a door. :) A cheesy victory but I'll take it.

17. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I think triggering haywire makes spells bypass magic resistance. And since Dredmor's Haywire stat is up to the roof, well...

18. Warlock

Warlock Member

This is pretty much it.