1.0.8 ranged enemy balancing

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by zellking, Dec 13, 2011.

1. zellking

zellking Member

I have been playing the game since it came out on hundlebundle (still used 1.0.6), and have never succeeded due to a mixture of bad luck and a few bad decisions (furthest i ever got was floor 7 with dwarven moderation and permadeath). when 1.0.8 came out, i like most players jumped straight into it, but with the death of my first new character in a monster zoo, i found a major difficulty problem
    In this patch they changed the AI for some enemies (like octo) to run away from you instead of run straight at you, which was a logical update, however they seem to do way to much damage for a character to take.
    I had 1 voltic resistance and was taking around 7 sets of 6 per turn (i had 73 hp) there were 17 octo's within the zoo and they only seemed to notice me after i cleared out the other enemies.
    Anyone else have this problem?
    For any information, i was a warrior/rogue
    (unarmed, shieldbearer, master of arms, dodge, throwing weapons, beserker and assasination.)

2. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

You're not the only person to have this problem with caster mobs with a melee character.

Right now, my solution is to save a handful of acid bottle bolts for zoos, then use knightly leap to close the distance when their numbers are more mangeable.

3. zellking

zellking Member

that seems like a good plan, but in some of the larger monster zoos i can see it working very inneffectively (i mean, i've seen a huge one before), since they can fit and have extra space for over 100 monsters, i can see it being heavily flawed.