Runecaster Mod: Craft runes and destroy your enemies!

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Ruigi, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

Runecaster Mod v1.6 by Ruigi​
    (Requires Realm of the Diggle Gods Expansion)​
    NOW ON STEAM WORKSHOP​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    What is "Runecasting"?​
    It's no doubt the most versatile magic skill in the game. Healing? got it. Damage? got it. Buffs? got it. Summons? got it. Teleport? got it.​
    How does it work? each level of Runecaster allows you to synthesize different rune pieces that can be used to craft powerful runeword spells.​
    Use your N-Dimensional lathe to craft runewords.​
    You can also use your Alchemy kit to transmute rune pieces into other rune pieces of the same level.​
    What's the drawback? You have to prepare your runeword spell ahead of time, but once it's ready you can cast it for free.​
    ...Oh yeah, and say goodbye to your backpack space....​
    Tutorial:​
    At the first level of Runecaster you can create the following runes (1st circle runes)​
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Casting the spell will spend some mana to create one of these four runes randomly. If you are not getting the rune you want, try using the alchemy kit to transmute the runes that you have into different runes.​
    [​IMG]
    Using your N-Diminsional Lathe, you can create runewords. The following recipes are possible at skill level 1.​
    [​IMG]
    You may notice the level two recipes have the same craftskill requirement as the level 1 recipes, that is because the pieces for the level 2 recipe cannot be acquired until your runecaster skill is at level 2.​
    FEATURES:​
      • Adds 20 new craftable "Runewords", powerful magic spells that can be crafted if you take the Runecaster skill.​
      • Over 50 custom sprites and animations.​
    Installation Instructions:Copy the Runecaster folder to the following location. if the mods folder does not exist, you must create it.​
    Windows:​
    "Documents and Settings/Administrator/My Documents/Gaslamp Games/Dungeons of Dredmor/mods"​
    For Linux:​
    "$HOME/.local/share/Dredmor/mods/"​
    For OSX:​
    "Library/Application Support/Dungeons of Dredmor/mods"​
    NOTES: I haven't had a chance to test the damage numbers for gameplay balance. please let me know in PMs or on this thread if you encounter any issues with gameplay balance or bugs.​
    THIS MOD REQUIRES REALM OF THE DIGGLE GODS (RotDG) EXPANSION! It will not work if you do not have it.​
    DOWLOAD LINK
    CHANGELOG:​
    v1.0 Initial release.​
    v1.1 tweaked some of the spellmine effects so that they're more efficient. Hopefully rune of ice won't cause as many crashes. please save your game before using a rune of ice.​
    v1.2 new rune of entropy! now with twice the randomness!​
    v1.3 cleaned up some embarrassing errors, tweaked all the runewords so that they deal flavor relevant damage types. added a spiffy starting loadup to the runecaster and also added magical runecrunch cereal. eat it and win a free runeword prize!​
    v1.4 various unspecified tweakes/fixes to runeword spells. added new skill icons with three new skills! I also increased mana costs across the board. the good news is that you can now mass produce levels 1-3 runes.​
    v1.5 Steel Statues no longer spawn on level 4. This is a good thing. please install this patch now if you haven't updated! I also tweaked the damages on the lower level elemental runes and make thier AOE a bit smaller so that you can use them in close quarters without hurting yourself.​
    v1.6 Added a new rune: Rune of Blossom. Rune of love is much less likely to be resisted. Rune of Power now gives a buff to melee and spellpower. runeword buffs for summons are no longer infinate. changed rune of propecy so that it now causes your target to emit prophecy blasts, the prophecy blast is smaller. try using it on the steel statue. also added two new magic items featuring "Lesko".​
    1.7 Rune words will now spawn in the dungeon.

Attached Files:

OmniNegro, Razarus, Essence and 3 others like this.
  2. Aquaman

Aquaman Member

This is a great and original idea! Ill be testing this out as soon as possible, my only concern being how balanced it is, considering that it essentially provides around 20 spells yet only takes one skill.

Perhaps different skills allow the creation of skill specific rune-words so that there is a similarity/connection between the new words you are able to create as you progress along the skill tree.

This reminds me of dragon shouts from skyrim to an extent.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Samupo

Samupo Member

I like the idea. I'm trying this mod as well as Elemental Magic (I think it was named like that) and give both some feedback. The only bad thing it's that I'm not good at the game at all xD

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  4. riloh

riloh Member

So the runeword items are created using runes, which are created using MP, and the runeword items themselves cast spells without MP and disappear upon use?

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Swiftness power is odd. It seems to only activate every other turn. I would suggest making it have a slightly longer (2 or 3) duration that ends when you move, mostly so the buff doesn't dissapear and what not. It seems to give two copies of the buff every other turn.

I've comboed it with throwing weapons and melee power stuff for lulzy rune throwing.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  6. Gargroyal

Gargroyal Member

This looks really nice, Hopefully I can make a good Mage/Warrior build with this and a few others. Question though: so, you make Runewords, are they items that do something or are they spells that you craft/learn?

Oh, and at first, I thought that Runeword was Runesword. Either way, it looks like a neat mod

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Ruigi

updated v1.1

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  8. Ruigi

updated v1.2

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. Blind Piper

Blind Piper Member

I'll have to give this a try later; it looks quite unique and fun.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. jadkni

jadkni Member

Suggestion - starting with a couple of runes. Not a ton of them, just enough that you don't spend the first few turns just making runes.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Ruigi

I'll see your rune and raise you a runeword.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. jadkni

jadkni Member

So generous, good sir. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  13. Ruigi

updated v1.3

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. jadkni

jadkni Member

Alright, having played a bit further -

I think this is my new favorite mod. Probably my single favorite skill either way. This one is hard on the inventory management, though - not a complaint mind you, but word to the wise, don't take this with a bunch of crafting skills (like I did).

I wish that what exactly each runeword does was documented somewhere, as I can't tell what the rune I'm making does before I make it, which is a slight disadvantage against other spells which I can usually figure out by the description.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Ruigi

I'll try to get J-factor to upload it to dredmorpedia.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Goodness, loving this mod, although I'll second not taking it with a craft skill and what Jadkni said about rune descriptions.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Seriously, this is an amazing skill concept, an exceedingly clever combination of existing game systems.
    I wish we'd thought of it!

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. MrAltamente

MrAltamente Member

Seems awesome dude.
    Gonna try this in about 10 min. or so:sight: ... ill give u some feedback in a short while.
    Nice Job :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  19. Ruigi

v1.4 update

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Ruigi

v1.5 update

OmniaNigrum likes this.