Melee attack, Ranged Attack

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by iamcreasy, Aug 22, 2012.

1. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

There is a lot of documentation about everything but, I never seen anywhere explaining the following box.

[​IMG]

The question is, this box, is this only for the 14 types of damages and not-resistance value that the character has at any certain point in time? What's the right +3 value stands for?

I don't know what I don't know. A general overview would be nice.

2. Wolg

Wolg Member

Melee shows what damage your currently equipped weapons will do if you attack a monster normally (stab/bludgeon/etc). As I stated in the other thread, the +3 shown there is your melee power bonus, and goes to your largest mundane damage type (crush/pierce/slash); in that shot you have 2 crush 1 slash 2 voltaic. You would actually do 5 crush 1 slash 2 voltaic, because you have more crush than slash, and voltaic is not a mundane damage type (so can never benefit from melee power).

All this is before the target's resistances and armour absorb are applied.

For ranged, it's the same deal, only it's based on your currently selected ranged attack, such as throwing knives or crossbow bolts. Melee power is applied the same way to thrown weapon attacks as it is for using a sword up close (though I'm not sure if itshowxthe bonus on your sheet like it does in the melee section).

Turbo164 and OmniNegro like this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Easier this way.
    Untitled-41.jpg

4. Wolg

Wolg Member

Yep. (Unfortunately I'm posting from a device that doesn't play nice with the forum's rich text editor, nor can it run the game.)

OmniNegro likes this.
  5. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

I have several questions,

Q1 : What is mundane damage? Its not one of the 16 damage types.

Q2 : So, how I am going to use the melee power depends on what I have more, between crush and slash. If slash is greater then crush, then I get crush + melee power. Is this correct?

Q 3 : I thought voltaic damage is itself a damage type. I don't get the idea of "voltaic is not a mundane damage type".

6. Wolg

Wolg Member

Ah, the joys of the English language... ;)

1: Three of the damage types (crushing, slashing and piercing) in the game are "mundane", as in expected to be done by ordinary weapons -- swords slash, crossbow bolts pierce, maces crush. It's just a collective term, the same as all the other damage types can be collectively called "exotic".

2: Your melee power is applied to the damage type you have most of out of crushing, slashing and piercing. Offhand I don't know which type takes priority if more than one has the same, highest value. However, if you don't have any damage at all of those three types, the melee power bonus will apply to crushing.

So in your example, your crushing will stay as-is and the melee power bonus will be added to your slashing damage.

3: See answer to Q1.

iamcreasy likes this.
  7. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

:(:p:D

Got it!

8. Darxio

Darxio Member

Actually, piercing cannot be effected by melee power. It's more like exotic damage in that regard...

...Blasting damage, however, is technically a mundane damage type, is effected by enemy armor, and if it is your highest damage type being dealt in melee, will be increased by your melee power.

To get more Blasting Damage than Crushing or Slashing usually takes lucky Kronging or some Encrusting, but it's hilarious when it happens.

Turbo164 likes this.
  9. Wolg

Wolg Member

I don't think that's entirely correct... Piercing damage does bypass enemy armour absorb, unlike blasting, but I haven't seen anything to show that blasting benefits from MP and piercing doesn't -- for weapons like spears, or throwing knives with only piercing damage, not giving an MP bonus wouldn't make sense to me...

10. Darxio

Darxio Member

If you get an accessory or armor with blasting damage, unequip everything but that and kick something. Bam, blasting damage equal to 1 + your melee power, minus the enemy's armor.

In melee, piercing is not effected by melee power at all.

For throwing, same thing. Nothing does pure piercing damage. Your melee power will augment the slashing or crushing of the thrown item.

Now in melee, if you only have +piercing, your damage for melee power will become crushing, Same if you managed to throw something with pure piercing that was modded in.

PS: All items with gigantic amounts of piercing have at least +1 slashing on them. This does not include crossbows, since they need to shoot a bolt, which has that +1 slashing(or crushing in the case of plastic).

iamcreasy likes this.
  11. Maze1125

Maze1125 Member

Yes, the mundane types are :dmg_crushing:, :dmg_slashing: and :dmg_blast:.
    :dmg_piercing: is not mundane.

"But what about weapons that only do :dmg_piercing:?" you ask.
    There are no such weapons in the game without mods, every single weapon, including daggers, polearms and throwing weapons, do at least 1 point of either :dmg_crushing:, :dmg_slashing: or :dmg_blast:.

Only crossbows and bolts can achieve an attack that only does :dmg_piercing:, and those aren't affected by :melee_power:.

12. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

Great, but where did you find this information. DoD Wiki I guess, a link to that page would be much appreciated.

13. Maze1125

Maze1125 Member

Most of it is in game. If you mouse over the damage icons in your melee damage bar, it gives a description of the damage type and says if it is affected by armour or not. Equally, if you mouse over the :armor_asorb: icon, it gives a description of how armour works and that protects against mundane damage types, and then specifies that those are "crushing, slashing and blasting".

As for how we know that :melee_power: only boosts mundane damage types, that comes from in game tests, like this thread for example.

Turbo164 and iamcreasy like this.
  14. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

This thread kinda make me think, how much of this game isn't properly documented somewhere outside of the game. For me, it would've been much easier to have a complete manual all the time. What's your take on this?

15. Maze1125

Maze1125 Member

I agree, a manual would be great and there are definitely still unknowns.
    For example, I haven't seen anywhere that accurately explains how the likelihood of causing instability, when using the new encrusting system, works. I've seen one explanation, but that was contradicted by my own in-game tests. I would absolutely love a comprehensive explanation about that, an in game tutorial would certainly help new people understand it too.

iamcreasy likes this.
  16. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

For me when I started the game for the first time, I could cope with the length of the tutorial. But, later on I played the tutorial 3-4 time to get the hang of it, before starting the game.

Now, the tutorial feel like non-existent. Its gives us literally nothing and you don't even get a taste of the game on it.

There should be another set of advance tutorial teaching players about all the fundamental of details.

Hmm...I am getting an idea for my mod! :D

17. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I've posted it on a couple places -

1: The purple stat number is instability. Everytime you encrust, it rolls a d100 for an unstable effect. If the dice is below the instability stat, you get an unstable effect.

2: If you add more than one different encrusts, they are added. (So roll for 12 if you have a 5 and 7 encrust).

3: If you encrust the same encrusting on the same item, their instability is multiplied. So two identical 5 instability encrusts would become a roll on 25 instability.

4: I believe each unstable effect has a 5% chance to trigger, but it's possible that the chance adds up really quick, not sure.
    Some unstable effects trigger when hit, others when you hit.

iamcreasy likes this.
  18. Maze1125

Maze1125 Member

That one isn't always true. I twice encrusted a necklace with the service pack crust, which has an instability of 20. By that rule the second time should have rolled against 400, which is guaranteed, yet the necklace didn't become unstable at all.

19. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Strange, maybe it's broken as I was told this from a dev. I'll talk to him.

20. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

By this do you mean a dice with 0-100 possibilities?