Game won't respond

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by coolboyyo, Aug 10, 2012.

1. coolboyyo

coolboyyo Member

For a reason I can't figure out, my game will randomly not respond. The sprites will keep moving and if I hover over things it still gives a description/highlights the button. But when I try and click, it does nothing. The keyboard doesn't respond either. Is there a way to fix this? Or will I have to delete my save and pray it doesn't happen again?

2. coolboyyo

coolboyyo Member

I am using Windows 7 if that matters.

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Is this with monsters that use dash, in the middle of fights?

4. coolboyyo

coolboyyo Member

I don't think so, last time everything on screen was dead.

5. Daynab

If you find a way to get it reliably (doing specific steps) to do it, please upload your save and tell us.

6. AbsurdWalls

AbsurdWalls Member

I'm having the same problem. It has happened twice in Monster Zoos after using area of effect spells (two different characters). One time was using a Bolt of Mass Destruction, the other was Charge of the Steam Brigade. The animations are still running (my character has gone to his idle animation too), and bits of the interface still light up and show tooltips, but nothing responds when I click on it.

It doesn't seem to be that the game is struggling to process anything, more like it has forgot to return control to the player after having all of the monsters take their turns. Maybe something to do with how the queue for monster turns is counted. It seems like you handle turns differently dependent on whether the monster is in or out of visible range, maybe it's something to do with spells that push monsters out of that range? I have no idea how you your code works though. If it is an issue with the queue then one way to fix it might be to set a maximum between-turn time for the player of a couple of minutes and return control if that time is exceeded.

7. AbsurdWalls

AbsurdWalls Member

I just spotted that the timer for Suit Up is on. I clicked that the turn after using the charge skill, so I guess it must have got to that next turn and crashed at that point.

8. Maerus

Maerus Member

Today I had similar freeze in my game.

I was shooting rocket powered punches and eye lasers at mushrooms over a water obstacle on level 6 and mashed space to idle inbetween shooting. Then it froze with sprites idly moving on their squares and my character went into idle animation after a while.
    No response from keyboard or mouse except for mouseover tooltips appearing. After leaving the game on like that I noticed no autosaves during the time.

I have done such strategy for quite a while during this and other playsessions and it was the first time it froze.

The cooldowns for rocket punch and eye laser were about halfway done at the point of freezing.

9. Neoprog

Neoprog Member

I get this bug too on OSX, every once in a blue moon. It happens on characters with totally different skills so I doubt that's the problem. It happens exactly like the other posters say; the game becomes unresponsive at seemingly random times but the sprites keep moving. Waiting it out is no option, as after half an hour of waiting it still did nothing.

I suspect the autosave to be the culprit, because whenever the autosave does its thing, the game lags for about half a second, which seems to happen right before the freeze as well. Furthermore, when my game freezes, I have to force quit the application, and when I restart the game and go to the savegame menu, there is an older autosave file from that same character (often on the same level). I realize this is shaky evidence at best, but it might be worth checking in to.

10. tehniobium

tehniobium Member

It just happened to me while trying to clear a level 5 monster zoo. I had just thrown 2 x noxious brimstone flask into the zoo and killed a bunch of enemies with the aoe.

11. Daynab

12. Neoprog

Neoprog Member

I would, but I'm on Mac OSX. Interesting tidbit; I just managed to reproduce the bug with the same character on the same level (6). I used Sandstorm on a big purple tree monster from the edge of the room, it died in a horrible field of fire and poison and sand, and then my game froze. I have attached my save file if anyone would like to reproduce this (go right and try that room).

Attached Files:

13. GreyICE

GreyICE Member

AOE skills seem very good at triggering it. I'm using an Artifact Dwarven Atom Smasher, Gloves of the Hierophant, and have Charge of the Steam Brigade and that Demonology skill that sprays fire everywhere, and I can crash the game maybe 1 time in 5 when I encounter large groups of monsters. Encrust procs seems to have something to do with it too, it inevitably triggers after a teleport when there's ridiculous levels of AOE on the screen.

I've taken to saving and quitting every 15 monsters in a zoo, not to save scum but just to stop the crashes from resetting my progress.

14. Fantom

Fantom Member

Same problem few minutes ago. Monster zoo, sandstorm.

Win 7 32