FAXPAX: A Thing What Fax Made

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by FaxCelestis, Feb 2, 2012.

1. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

...wut the fuuuuuuuuu

THANKFULLY, I can rebuild it. I HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY.

OmniNegro likes this.
  2. Glazed

Glazed Member

Not before I record its current animation for posterity!

tacow_die.gif

(The speed's not right because I'm not accounting for individual frame delays.) I fixed the speed! I also added a 2 second delay after the last frame so it wouldn't loop so quickly.

OmniNegro likes this.
  3. Glazed

Glazed Member

Nothing you've said here is true.
    1. No metal changes its chemical properties just because it's in a thin sheet. You may be thinking of how easy it is to beat gold into very thin sheet. That's called malleability. Just because gold is very malleable doesn't mean it retains its chemical properties any better than any other metal.
    2. "Molecules" are not the same as "atoms". Metals like gold form crystals of atoms. It's not really proper to call them molecules or else you could just as easily call an entire ingot a single molecule. Especially when using either word in the context of "a single molecule thick". That doesn't mean anything. You probably meant a "single atom thick", but saying that gold has the unique ability to retain properties at that thickness is false.
    3. Gold that was one atom thick would disintegrate into dust if touched. Very thin layers of metal can be deposited on surfaces like glass, but even then it's much thicker than one atom. I found one figure about the coating on astronauts' helmets that puts it as 195 atoms thick. Gold leaf is generally made to be 1/250,000th of an inch thick. That's about 400 atoms thick.
    4. The coating is meant to deflect heat and light, but you would not be instantly blinded by the sun without it. The sun only appears about 40% brighter in space. You won't be instantly blinded by it any more than you would be on Earth. You can damage your eyes very quickly by looking directly at it in either location.
    5. There are high energy photons in space that do not make it to the surface of the earth. Things like gamma rays. However, they don't cause instant blindness any more than a dental xray does. The levels astronauts experience are generally safe unless they get caught outside during a solar flare. And even then the danger is radiation poisoning, not blindness. The thin layer of gold on a visor offers incredibly little protection against gamma rays, anyway.
    6. CPU cores are not made from gold. They are made from silicon!

RionKatt and OmniNegro like this.
  4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

/me is being picked on by *Sniff* smart people...Sniff Sniff. :)

You are right all around. Thank you for the corrections. The CPUs are made of silicon, but connected via gold.

5. Vinculi

Vinculi Member

Yo, the first skill in meteorology is crashing me every time, missing PNGs for "predict heat" and "predict snow" etc...Also, I'm attempting an all dragon aspirants playthrough, cos I can, so, erm, what do the abilities scale to? I imagine its magic power, but I wouldn't know how to check myself.

6. Glazed

Glazed Member

How to check for yourself:
    1. Go to \Documents\Gaslamp Games\Dungeons of Dredmor\mods
    2. Unzip this mod file. (preferably into a containing folder.)
    3. Move the unzipped folder(s) out of the mods folder, otherwise a duplicate mod might appear in the game, or cause a crash. Or make sure you delete them after you're done poking around.
    4. Look in the "mod" folder that you got when unzipped the mod.
    5. Open spellDB.xml in notepad, or your favorite text editor.
    6. Use the search feature to find one of the spell names. Or just scroll down and look around.
    7. Look at an example spell, like "Fire Breath".
    8. Notice that the effect of type "damage" lists the kind of damage it does and the scaling amount (the attribute that ends in F.)
      1. For example
        <effect type="damage" conflagratory="3" conflagratoryF="0.2" burn="1" />
    9. Notice that there is no secondaryScale="N" or primaryScale="N", where N is some number. Therefore it scales off of Magic Power.

OmniNegro likes this.
  7. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Using Rev G now, and drinking a Mojito still causes a crash to the desktop. Went in looking for what the cause of the crash is, and didn't find anything obviously wrong.

However, I noticed that Mojito casts a spell that calls a spell named quickstep. I'm also using the Swiftstriker Mod, which has a skill level / spell named quickstep. Perhaps this is like the thing where you and RR both had strawberries and the game was getting confused? I'll try turning off the Swiftstriker sometime and drink a Mojito to see if that has any impact on it.

P.S.: I still think the frequency of the new boozes and the tiki bar in general need major tweaking.

OmniNegro likes this.
  8. FaxCelestis

Yeah. 0.8 is going to reduce the spawn rate in the tiki bar, and put the special="1" flag on the tiki bar. As well as adding the Witchy masks (like you suggested) as scenery. I'm also toying with the idea of making it bigger and putting zoo="1" on it instead.

That's a good catch on Quickstep. I'll fiddle with it.

As for Meteorology, I probably missed changing their sprite paths when i reorg'd the skill images. That'll go in 0.8 too: I'll be putting it up soon, probably tomorrow.

OmniNegro likes this.
  9. Megaron

Megaron Member

I don't have Swiftstriker, but the Mojito still crashes me. So it's probably not that.

10. FaxCelestis

Alright, I'm just going to replace the Mojito's spell with something less crashy, I guess.

OmniNegro likes this.
  11. zorackprime

zorackprime Member

is there a fix for the first meteo spell yet? it continually crashes the game.

12. FaxCelestis

0.8 IS UP! Read the changelog for fixes.

OmniNegro likes this.
  13. FaxCelestis

I had some extra time today and put together the Brofistery skill. It probably needs some tweaking, so let me know. Here's a short rundown:

Level 0: Broface
    Gives +1:dmg_righteous: (that's so totally righteous bro), +1:resist_righteous:, +5 :dodge:, +1 :armor_asorb:

Level 1: Bros Before Foes
    Gives +1:resist_righteous:
    Can cast Bros Before Foes spell: debuffs one enemy for -3:melee_power:, -5:crit:, -2:resist_righteous: for 10 turns; buffs yourself.+3:melee_power:, +5:crit:, +2:resist_righteous: for 10 turns. Cooldown of 10 turns.

Level 2: I Cast Fist
    Gives +1:dmg_righteous:
    Can cast I Cast Fist spell: adds 1+(0.5 *:melee_power:):dmg_righteous: to an attack in melee. Has a base 10% chance of causing an explosion, with an additional 10% if you currently have the Bros Before Foes buff active, and an additional 15% chance of explosion if you have Power of the Broforce active. Explosion hits a 2x3 area in front of the player, dealing 1+(0.5*:melee_power:):dmg_conflagratory:. Cooldown of 5 turns.

Level 3: Flanking Bro
    Gives +1:dmg_righteous:
    Can cast Flanking Bro spell: summons a clone two squares away from you.

Level 4: Bad Bromance
    Gives +1:resist_righteous:
    Gives 10% chance of casting Bad Bromance spell when struck.
    Can cast Bad Bromance: charms opponents for 15 turns in a + sign. Cooldown of 30 turns.

Level 5: Dr. Zhivabro, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Brofist
    Gives +2:dmg_righteous:
    Gives 10% chance of automatically casting I Cast Fist when attacking.

Level 6: Power of the Broforce
    Gives +2:resist_righteous:
    Can cast Power of the Broforce spell: gives +3:melee_power:, +5:crit:, +5:dodge:, +5:counter:, +2:armor_asorb:, +10:magic_resist:, +10:reflection: for 25 hits. Cooldown of 50 turns.

Level 7: Broseidon, Broverlord of the Brocean
    Gives +2:dmg_righteous:, +2:resist_righteous:, +2:melee_power:, +2:crit:, +2:dodge:, +2:counter:, +2:armor_asorb:
    Gives 10% chance of automatically casting I Cast Fist when attacking.

Daynab, mining, Essence and 2 others like this.
  14. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

bEST. nAMES. eVAR.

OmniNegro and FaxCelestis like this.
  15. Vinculi

Vinculi Member

Well, don't think i'll be finishing that all dragon aspirant playthrough, I got down to DL10 while playing without steam, but logged into steam and the cloud saves reverted that character back to DL4, not sure I feel like doing that all over again. Still, easiest melee build ever, you just gotta max out the necro skill first and your area abilities basically give you max heals on a timer, 2 alchemy (4 with a diggle booze god), 2 tinkering, and 2 smithing.

One thing I noticed though, Fax, the sight radius increase from the Aspirant skill trees don't seem to work at all, because I had about an extra eight or so from two (i think) trees that add to it, but my sight radius wasn't any larger than usual, and I played with some items with the sight radius bonus to check it was working, and it was definitely just the radius from the aspirant trees that weren't working (although this was just yesterday, on the up-until-now latest version, so you might have fixed it, haven't upgraded yet).

Also, this brofist skill tree might move my dream of kick-boxing dredmor to death a little closer to reality.

16. andas12

andas12 Member

Not sure If it has been reported But it seems eating a taco crashes the game

17. FaxCelestis

Just noticed that myself. Temporary solution: don't eat tacos. In the interim, I'll try to figure out wtf is wrong with it (it looks fine).

OmniNegro likes this.
  18. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

19. Vinculi

Vinculi Member

Hehehe, haven't seen that one in ages, didn't even make the "broseidon" connection.

20. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

Initial reaction: Bro-ken. Which is sad because I really want to play this. It's so cool, I need it to be balanced enough that I won't feel bad when I use it.

Advice in a nutshell:
    • Reduce the base :dmg_righteous: to 5 instead of 7, by removing the static :dmg_righteous: on level 2 and reducing the bonus on either level 5 or level 7 by 1 :dmg_righteous: . No need to out-shine Vegan so obviously, especially since you have none of it's drawbacks.
    • Pull the 1 :armor_asorb: and several points of the :dodge: off the first level, and move them deeper in the tree. Unresistable damage and 2 or 3 :dodge: is good enough for the starting level. No need to front-load it.
    • Majorly increase the cool-down of the second level power. It out-performs level 4 weapon-skill activated abilities and makes Vegan look even worse.
    • If that change to the timer affects the triggered abilities as well (I'm really not up on skill coding, but I think it'll make them not proc as often), make a separate version of I Cast Fist that's triggered by the 10% triggers later and doesn't have the increased cool-down. The random procs aren't a problem, it's the huge activated damage bonus every 5th attack that is busted.
    • Alternately, move half the scaling :dmg_righteous: of I Cast Fist into the far-less reliable explosion effect. Again the bustedness isn't that you sometimes do a ton of damage, it's that you can call upon it reliably way too often and too soon.
    Various comparisons and arguments follow, explaining how I arrived at the advice above... feel free to stop reading at any time, and I won't be offended.

:dmg_righteous: is powerful because only the fish warriors resist it and quite a few monsters have it as a weakness. Here you've got 7 :dmg_righteous: as a base, plus the debuff to add to that and I Cast Fist which scales pretty aggressively. I've played plenty of characters with around 30 :melee_power: before, such a character would be getting a total of +23 unresistable damage on 19% of attacks even if I never used any of the activated powers. Not to mention that this skill itself gives another +8:melee_power:, with the accompanying +4:dmg_righteous: that will grant when I Cast Fist.

Compare to Killer Vegan.

First the exotic damage: Vegan gives 5:dmg_righteous: and two 8% triggers to do blinding flash, which is 2+(0.32*:magic_power:) :dmg_aethereal: plus 2+(0.32*:magic_power:):dmg_righteous:. :magic_power: does rise faster than :melee_power:, so assume that by the time a warrior gets 30 :melee_power: the equivalent wizard has 50:magic_power: . The damage when a blinding flash triggers will be huge... +18 :dmg_righteous: and :dmg_aethereal:, so all told it's 36 mostly-un-resistable damage, but keep in mind that the counter-balance to that is that to be that deep into :magic_power: you're going to be lightly armored and have a lot fewer hitpoints.

So 7 :dmg_righteous: per attack, plus 20 more :dmg_righteous: on 19% of attacks and another 20 :dmg_conflagratory: on about 5% of attacks. (Brofist on Warrior)
    Vs
    5 :dmg_righteous: per attack, plus 18 more :dmg_righteous: and 18 :dmg_aethereal: on 15% of attacks. (Vegan on Wizard)

Brofist comes out a little ahead. So that suggests that possibly the up-front damage and scaling both need to be cut back a little. Possibly also the trigger rate on I Cast Fist.

Does I Cast Fist stack? If it doesn't, then the odds fall back in Vegan's favor, at least in regards to the random procs.

On the other hand, I compared Brofist on a Warrior to Vegan on a Wizard specifically built to maximize the procs. Vegan is actually a Warrior skill. On a warrior, it's only 5 :dmg_righteous: per attack, plus 2-4 more :dmg_righteous: and 2-4 :dmg_aethereal: on 15% of attacks. So, if you're playing a Warrior anyway, Brofist gives tons more proc damage than Vegan.

Being able to choose to cast I Cast Fist every 5th attack is also significantly more powerful than Vegan's random boosts. Given that it's 20+ bonus damage in the mid-to-late game, I'd seriously look at increasing the cooldown timer.

Then we compare the misc stat boosts:
    Killer Vegan maxed out gives 9 :burliness: 9 :nimbleness: 24:life: and 5 :life_regen:.
    So that's really 3 :melee_power:, 33 :life:, 5 :life_regen:, 5:dodge:, 3 :edr:, 2 :counter:, and 7 :sneakiness: .

Brofist gives: 2:melee_power:, 3 :armor_asorb:, 7 :dodge: , 2:counter:, and 2:crit: as passives.
    Upgraded to 8:melee_power:, 5 :armor_asorb:, 12 :dodge: , 7:counter:, 12:crit:, 10:magic_resist:, and 10:reflection: when making full use of the buffs, which shouldn't be too hard to maintain given the cooldown rates listed.

So the question is, would you rather have:
    33 :life:, 5 :life_regen:,and 7 :sneakiness: (what Vegan gives above Brofist) or
    5:melee_power:, 5 :armor_asorb:, 7 :dodge: , 5:counter:, 10:crit:, 10:magic_resist:, and 10:reflection: (what Brofist gives above Vegan) ?
    I think Brofist comes out the better in that comparison, too.

Essentially, the only reason to take Vegan over Brofistery is if a) you're playing an otherwise pure wizard who will eventually get huge damage on blinding flashes, and b) your build takes a while to get going and is kinda shaky on the first floor. But even in that case, Brofistery gives :dmg_righteous: :armor_asorb: and :dodge: right out of the gate, so it's still probably better than just being able to ignore (and thus not getting xp from) diggles and batties.

Moving on to comparison vs weapon skills...
    Brofist is doing 7:dmg_righteous: plus 2-8 :melee_power:. The weapon skills do around the same damage, but it's :dmg_crushing::dmg_slashing::dmg_piercing: so they don't bypass armor or trigger weaknesses. Plus, none of them gets above 2 :melee_power:, though they do stack with dual-wield so that portion is probably about even.

Given the activate-able nature of I Cast Fist, we should also compare it to similar abilities in the weapon skills.
    • Thibault's Trompement does 2 :dmg_piercing:, 2 (+0.25*:nimbleness:) :dmg_slashing:, and 0 (+1*:melee_power:) :dmg_crushing:. So for a character at the same level as our example above that's around +50 to 60 damage, though some amount of it will be lost to armor. Cooldown is nearly double of Brofist. It's also a level 4 skill instead of level 2.
    • Norwegian Axenado does 4 :dmg_slashing:, and 0 (+1*:melee_power:) :dmg_crushing:. 34 damage on that character, and some of it will be blocked by armor or resist especially on the deepest floors. Again, it's a level 4 skill, and it has a cooldown nearly three times as long as I Cast Fist.
    • Cogito Ergo Splat does 5 :dmg_existential: , and 0 (+1*:melee_power:) :dmg_crushing:. 35 damage, and part of it is a less resistable than normal. Level 5 skill, 5 turn cool-down. Large area-effect.
    • Ragnar's Meteor does 4 :dmg_blast: , and 0 (+1*:melee_power:) :dmg_crushing:. 34 damage on that character, and some of it will be blocked by armor or resist especially on the deepest floors. Again, it's a level 4 skill, with a 13-turn cooldown.
    • Ki Cascade Strike does and 2 (+0.15*:magic_power:) :dmg_aethereal:, and 0 (+1*:melee_power:) :dmg_crushing:. So, 3 :dmg_aethereal: and 30 :dmg_crushing: on the warrior, or 8 :dmg_aethereal: and 6:dmg_crushing: or so on the equivalent Wizard. Level 4, 13-turn cooldown.
    What did I learn from this? That the new Thibault's Trompement is quite possibly broken, and the recent changes to melee are really potent.

Also I learned that I Cast Fist is probably way too good for it's place(s) in the skill tree and the super-short cool-down timer. It's not doing as much raw damage as those power-ups, but it's happening a lot more often and circumventing all resistances.

Kazeto, OmniNegro and Essence like this.