Books.

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Createx, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I just finished reading WWW: Wake by Robert J. Sawyer. It's the first book in a trilogy that primarily concerns itself with an A.I. that comes into existence on the web. There are a few different plotlines that are either loosely or strongly connected to the main story, the most important of which concerns a High School girl named Caitlin, who has been blind since birth, and a potential operation that might cure her blindness.

Anyway, this book is primarily about the development of the A.I. (you might call it a childhood of sorts) and how it perceives of itself and its world, how it learns, and so on. It's an interesting novel with some cool ideas in it. I enjoyed it, and plan to read the rest of the trilogy. Sawyer is considered to be one of the best Canadian science fiction writers around, if not the best-- I've read a couple of other books and stories by him -- he's not one of my favorite authors, but he does write things that make you think. One of my favorites of his that I've read was "The Terminal Experiment", which I strongly recommend.

I've also recently started reading a complete collection of all of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, starting with the novel, A Study in Scarlet. I've read a lot of Doyle's work, mostly as a child or teen, but I don't think I've ever read this one before. If you are not familiar with it, I'll just say that Doyle's work has aged well, although this, being his first Holmes story, is certainly not among his best. It's also kind of derogatory towards Mormonism so if the bothers you or you simply don't intend to read the complete works, then by all means, skip this novel, and read the other stories. There are quite a few good ones. I'm intending to read them all, and in order this time (I think the next one is The Sign of Four, another I don't think I've read previously).

Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  2. Dratai

Dratai Member

Now I kinda haven't looked through all of this thread before posting so if any of these have been mentioned... my bad.
    Some newer books I've read recently that stood out among the usual generic fantasy/ot

Rain wild chronicles - This is a set of four books with a really good writing. the plot itself kind of appeals to fans of dragons, but there's a ton more in the story that doesn't have so much to do with the dragons in it as all the chaos that happens around 'dragons returning to the world' or some such. Books very much kind of whisks away all that usual junk where dragons are overglorified in some manner or another. You could almost view it as satirical though I highly doubt that's the intent.
    Well constructed setting and truly believable characters and situations. As for what the plot is actually about, it starts with dragons almost being extinct, and they're about to return to the world. the 'last' dragon (that anyone knows of) lends its protection to a swamp city in return for the city watching over the cocoons of maturing dragons. And that's where kind of everything goes wrong. They emerge as runts, the whole bunch of them, due to the cocoons being damaged in some way, and then stuff starts happening when the dragons want to leave/are being sent away due to just being sacks of meat that devour more food than they're worth, yada yada yada.
    (I shouldn't be spoiling the book xD)

Fans of steampunk may enjoy Stormdancer (the first book is called the lotus war and the second isn't out yet I think), takes place in japan but don't expect some kinda sage-knowledge from a japanophile about japan and you'll probably enjoy the book as much as I did.

Kazeto, Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  3. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I've heard that the author actually makes an absolute cluster-f-bomb of the Japanese side of it, which is absolutely ridiculous when you consider it's set *in Japan* and is about *Japanese characters*.

Haldurson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I can't comment specifically about the series, but in general, the better writers tend to do a lot of research if they are not totally familiar with the subject or setting that they are writing about, and I've heard them at conventions talking about their subjects (even if its a fictional setting, there may be important cultural or historical or Religious or fokloric or linguistic aspects that require research. During the talks, I sometimes felt that they do almost too much research, until you actually read the books and see how it can actually make the stories more interesting.

On the other hand, sometimes all the author has to their credit is that research and their writing can be miserable, which is the other extreme. Best example of that is Harry Turtledove, who's an Historian by profession, and writes like it. He writes primarily alternate History stories and novels and has a lot of interesting stories to tell, but overall, he tells them badly because he too often writes like he's writing a history textbook, and his sentence and paragraph structure leave a whole lot to be desired.

That said, occasionally his stories do transcend his bad writing, so I STILL have to recommend The Guns of the South. And the story behind the novel is almost as fascinating as the novel itself. The novel is an alternate history of the Civil War, where southern time travellers from our future decide to change history, and so they travel back to the early days of the Civil War and supply Robert E. Lee with modern weaponry and ammo, in order to ensure that the South wins the war and slavery continues and so on. It's such a fun novel that I could easily overlook most of the problems I've mentioned.

One funny story about what happened after the novel had been published and had become a real cult classic, especially in the Southern U.S. -- Harry Turtledove had agreed to speak in front of this southern group that loved the novel so much, and unknown to Turtledove, it was because they were kind of this group that really aspired to return to the glory days of slavery and southern white supremacy. The irony was that Harry Turteldove is Jewish and when he found out who these people actually were, was totally afraid that they'd find out and lynch him lol. Also, he was not writing a wish-fulfillment novel but was simply playing a real what-if scenario out on paper that he had imagined. Lee, the hero of the south, was not actually pro-slavery and he makes that very clear in the novel, to the extent that... well I'll leave it to you to find out by reading it. You can tell that although Turtledove abhors what the southern side of the civil war stood for, he has a lot of respect for Lee as a person.

It's very apparent that Harry Turtledove knows a lot about the Civil War, and the south of the time, because it's his job to know that. Let's just say that knowing your subject is very important. I don't know if he's gotten better at writing as he's continued (he'd pretty much have to, or maybe he's gotten a better editor). But I kind of gave up on him after reading a few other novels of his. So it's very possible. Maybe if I get a recommendation, I'll give him another shot. But that said, you HAVE to read The Guns of the South if you have any interest in the Civil War or alternate history SF, because it's a true classic.

Kazeto likes this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I hate the brainwashing that seems universal. Are you aware how many *YEARS* the American Civil War had been happening before slavery was made an issue?

Do not take that to mean that I would prefer slavery was not removed, but it was a move used to weaken the South as they were going to win the ACW within a few years when it was made the focus. Naturally the promise of freedom from slavery made many current slaves revolt and greatly weakened the south. Lincoln had slaves in the White House when it was all said and done too.

If anyone cares to hear the truth, the ACW was about unfair taxation. The South did have hundreds of times as many slaves and was the source of well over nine tenths of the tax revenue. Greed was the real cause for the ACW, and it did not cease to exist when slavery was outlawed. If it did, then perhaps the "Forty acres and a mule." phrase we all know of would have been something more than a bold lie.

But please do not mind me. I know this is a books thread. And this is not intended as an attack on your position on the book. I just feel compelled to point out how history is written by the victors.

/rant off

Kazeto likes this.
  6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I strongly disagree, but this isn't the proper forum for discussion. I didn't realize this would be a sore or controversial issue, so I apologize if I've offended you.

Anyway, back to books -- I just started reading a book co-authored by one of our family -- I mean the family of people on these forums, "Treasure of the Mayan King". I won't otherwise out him, but if the author of said novel wants to come forward and cop to it, feel free. There's nothing wrong with shameless publicity if you've actually done something good. It would be better if he said something rather than me. (I've only read the first 2 and a half chapters, and I'm hooked on it enough to keep going -- so far it's about an archaelogical expedition).

OmniaNigrum and Kazeto like this.
  7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

You did nothing to insult me. I take no offense. And we can always make a PM to discuss it if you want.

8. Dratai

Dratai Member

On the plus side, it's steampunk. xD

9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

One reason I guess it sometimes takes me forever to finish anything is that I have a tendency to start new things all the time before I've finished whatever else I've started reading. I thought I've beaten that bad habit, but lately it's been happening all the more frequently. Fortunately, I have been pretty good (mostly) at returning to whatever it is that I got sidetracked from.

Which brings me to my point... I'm hooked on the television series "The Walking Dead", and I recently started reading the comic books (Well, I've purchased "The Walking Dead" Compendiums 1 and 2). I've been reading it in bursts here and there, and as of this morning, I'm about halfway through the first Compendium.

If you are familiar with the television series, the comic books are sufficiently different that I don't completely feel like I'm rehashing what I've seen. Different people die, different people survive, and some of the characters are simply different (There's no Darryl and Merle, for example, in the comic books).

I can't say that I like it any better or worse than the television series. It's more like it gives me my occasional 'fix' when I'm missing the television series.

I don't generally like most horror stories (well, fantasy in general, whether that's horror fantasy or high or low fantasy or whatever). But occasionally, if something seems interesting enough and/or well-done enough, I'll give it a chance, and I have to admit that both series (television and comic book) are addictive. It's the first real comic book I've read since Cerebus or Sandman. I have tried other comics that have been recommended to me, and none of them have interested me long enough to keep with them for more than a couple of issues. So far, this looks to be an exception. It's not 'great', or a must-read, by any means. But I still like it. Call it a guilty pleasure, if you wish.

BTW, if you want to know where I am in the comic book, I just finished the section (in the prison) where Rick says that he accepts that he's no longer in charge, but makes a big speech that all he's done is try to protect everyone. I suspect that coming up is when they'll discover Woodbury and The Governor. David Morrissey, btw, is outstanding in the television series, as The Governor -- if you haven't seen him in it, the less said about him, the better. Let's just say that some of the scenes that he's in, he's just fun to watch.

ViperLawson and OmniaNigrum like this.
  10. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

Well...since it was already mentioned....

//WARNING, WARNING, DANGER, DANGER: Shameless Self-Promotion Ahead
    I've been re-reading the two books I've written and published, Treasure of the Mayan King and just recently Avarice Dynasty: Evasion. I will never claim that either works are classics or masterpieces but for 99ยข they make wonderful diversions.

Treasure of the Mayan King is really three books in one (that's how it started, actually, as three separate stories but they didn't have enough legs to stand on their own so we combined them.) It follows the exploits of three groups of people being caught up in a newly-discovered Mayan temple and the Mayan Code on its base that Dr. Sova thinks will lead to treasure. Of course, we all know what the prospect of treasure does to some people...

Avarice Dynasty is the start of a sci-fi series of mine that will have at least five books. I tend to cover the topics of power and greed, and whether the end ever justifies the means. Nanoviruses, Alpha Cartels always at each others throats, and tyrannical Barons keeping everything in check with an unstoppable cyborg assassin. Yep. That's Avarice.

I'm also secretly working on a Steampunk story that, I will admit, was influenced by Clockwork Empires. I think the setting (American Revolution), the characters, and what happens are quite different enough to justify me finishing it. Anyway....
    //END SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION

On to books written by others! I just picked up Star Wars: Scoundrels and am in love. It's Oceans Eleven (the new, good one...sorry, I'm not a huge fan of the old one) combined with Stars Wars, written by the master of Star Wars himself, Timothy Zahn. It has been an absolute blast and it reminds me of why I wanted to write in the first place.

ViperLawson, OmniaNigrum and Daynab like this.
  11. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Feel free to tell us where those books are sold :)

Xyvik and OmniaNigrum like this.
  12. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

well, since you asked...

you can find all my book sale links at my website at www.arcaniarts.com. At the moment Treasure is available as paperback and on a whole host of ereader sites, but Avarice is only as Kindle right now. more options coming soon (getting the paperback proof this week) i'm doing this from my phone right now, will update with direct links later if there is enough demand :)

ViperLawson, OmniaNigrum and Daynab like this.
  13. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I'm just finishing the second 'book' of Treasure of the Mayan King and should be starting on the last book tomorrow morning or so. It's definitely a fun read so kudos :cool:. I bought it for Kindle myself, from Amazon. I'll definitely check out Avarice Dynasty some time in the future.

ViperLawson, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  14. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I've finally managed to finish David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas, which is an excellent, intelligent bit of science-fiction literature. It's hard to talk about because you have to actually experience it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. Dratai

Dratai Member

Speaking of writing books yourself...
    I keep putting off putting my own works out there.

Because I am a cowardly ball of melted fudge.

(Read: I'm probably bad at it and I have no confidence. hahaha xD)

Xyvik and OmniaNigrum like this.
  16. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Started reading A Song of Ice and Fire series, I know, waaaay late but I had to get around to it. Finished the first book in 3 days, really enjoying it. Started the second. I both like and hate that GRR Martin got rid of many fantasy tropes like the honorable warriors meeting a honorable end or being saved at the last moment.

None of that will happen here, nope.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I read all seven so far (UK editions number seven, it's five in the US) and whilst they drop off in the last two (three for me), the first three (four) are really good. Except for one character in particular who has me consistently screaming in pained agony.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

I've avoided this series for that particular reason. I've had enough death and problems in my life (and continue to have them) that I veer almost consistently toward happy stories or comedies. I have heard good things about the stories and characters, of course, but I just can't bring myself to be any more depressed than I already am :p

Also, to Dratai and any others who are thinking of writing books / have book ideas ready, feel free and PM me. I do minor writing coaching for free on the side. I would love to offer any advice or help for anybody who wants to get their thoughts and ideas down on paper. Sometimes all it takes is somebody offering words of encouragement to get things going!

((Side Note Of Shameless Self-Promotion: I've updated my signature to have links to my book pages, which have links to purchasing options! And also cool details about the books and the series they are in.))

ViperLawson, Kazeto and OmniaNigrum like this.
  19. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I started reading A Song of Ice and Fire several years ago, and got so lost keeping track of all of the characters that I set it aside (I'm actually exactly like that with real life people and names sometimes lol). Since the HBO series started, though, I've gotten hooked on that, even though I sometimes still get confused about some of the minor characters, and even on rare occasions, the major characters (simply because I get their names confused). For a while there, in the beginning I even was getting confused between Jon Snow and Rob Stark, simply because the actors looked too similar. I mean, I'd see the actor on the screen and I'd have no idea who I was looking at (later on, of course, it got a lot easier).

OmniaNigrum, Kazeto and Xyvik like this.
  20. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Even George R.R. Martin has trouble remembering some of the characters in the books.

No, really, he does.