A little help with my mod.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by 1eleven, Feb 14, 2012.

1. 1eleven

1eleven Member

I was making a mod that give you exp earlier to help test a larger project i will be starting soon, anyway back to the problem it should give you exp when you cast it but it doesn't please help
    Code:
    <spell name="expI" type="self" anchored="1" icon="skills/lobster32.png">
            <requirements mp="1" mincost="1"/>
            <description text="gives you exp" monsterText="gives you exp"/>
            <effect type="grantexp" amount="100" />
            <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/psionic_generic/psionic_generic" frames="5" framerate="80" sfx="magic" centerEffect="0"/>
        </spell>

2. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

The thing that jumps out at me is that you don't need a "anchored" flag for a "self" type spell. "Anchored" is only used for template-type spells.

Also, I'm not sure if you need monstertext for a spell that doesn't seem like it's going to be cast by a monster.

Also, make sure that everything is spelled and capitalised correctly in the skill and/or spells that reference this spell. That is VERY important--I don't know how many times I've wound up with crashing or invalid spells because I missed a tag or a capital letter somwhere.

If you need levels early for testing, use the debug mode to grant yourself levels. Much easier, and it also has a whole bunch of other testing tools.

For reference, here's a spell I once used for about the same thing:

Code:
    <spell name="Bloody Experience" type="self" icon="skills/bloody32.png" wand="0" >
        <effect type="grantxp" amount="8"/>
        <effect type="trigger" spell="Bloody Mess" />
        <description text="More blood equals more fun, which all in all gives a better killing experience!" />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/corpse_hit_mini/corpse_hit_mini" frames="4" framerate="100" sfx="fleshbore" centerEffect="0"/>
        </spell>

3. I'm not sure how to make your skill work, but you can just run Dredmor in debug mode, then press lowercase "L" to level up 15 times. then press lowercase "P" to go to whichever dungeon depth is the appropriate challenge level you want to test against.

4. 1eleven

1eleven Member

thanks but how do i go into debug mode