YTTG - alleviates resource issues in NTTG mode

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by r_b_bergstrom, Mar 6, 2013.

1. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

I prefer playing in NTTG mode for reasons of time / endurance / patience. However, it's sometimes hard to play a crafter or a (non-caster) ranged combat character in NTTG, because if the RNG acts up just a little bit, there won't be enough resources for all the things you could craft if you were playing on the larger map.

That's where YTTG comes in - it empowers you to say "Yes" to "No Time To Grind" even when you want to play a crafter or other resource-intensive character. Download Link

There's over 20 rooms in this mod. (Most of them are small and simple. It's not nearly as large or fancy as my Interior Dredmorating mod.) YTTG makes certain ingots and reagents a little more common, as well as increasing the number of vending machines, BBQ grills, anvils, Inconsequentia statues, bookshelves, mysterious portals, and other features you might otherwise not see much of in the truncated NTTG layout.

Note that this mod is borderline-cheaty. Giving extra reagents and recipes reduces the difficulty of the game a little, even if I have taken measures to keep it from getting out of hand.

P.S.: Daynab, if you see this, please move this thread to the Mod Releases folder. The forum software wouldn't let me start a thread in that folder for some reason.

2. mining

mining Member

Speaking to this point: It's supposed to not let people in general so that all mods can spend ~1 week in the Modding folder, to ensure that mods in the release folder have some playtime + bugtesting.

3. r_b_bergstrom

Thank you. I was unaware of that. Last time I'd released a mod, it was still possible to post directly to that folder. I took a few months off from Dredmor modding, and the policy change must have happened during that time.

4. Nacho

Nacho Member

Isn't there something in TweakDB that changes how many reagents are found on each floor?

5. mining

mining Member

http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/meta-released-mods-discussion.5715/ is the relevant thread...

and welcome back. We've missed you :).

6. r_b_bergstrom

Yes, in fact there is:
    I shied away from that because it is essentially a shotgun approach. I think that entry in TweakDB affects the items with the alchemical="1" flag. Which is a pretty broad category of stuff. Over 70 items in the main game alone have the alchemical="1" tag, and the game places 30 at random per floor. So pumping it up by x% won't necessarily fix the specific inventory problems that come up, and could create new problems by making some items too common.

Building specific item-granting rooms allows me to tailor the numbers to exactly what items certain builds need in order to not be hosed by the RNG. For example, it's not as simple as "characters need 20% more iron over the course of the game". Instead, smiths need a certain guaranteed amount of iron by a certain floor. If they don't get it, their smithing skill points are essentially wasted. On the other hand if they get too much iron, especially if that too much comes in the first few floors, the early-to-mid game becomes a cakewalk. On a similar note, archery characters don't actually need more ammo overall, but they do need more low-grade arrows early on to carry them through the first couple floors before the better stuff becomes available / affordable.

All that said, I probably didn't get my numbers or implementation 100% correct in this initial release, especially since I put this together after taking several months off from the game. If anyone has any specific thoughts in a "Skill A is completely hosed if it doesn't get at least X copies of item Y by floor Z" format, I'd love to hear them.

Kazeto likes this.
  7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Done.

r_b_bergstrom likes this.
  8. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Playing the beta version, no other mods.
    emptybrax.png

Kazeto likes this.
  9. r_b_bergstrom

Weird. 100% certain I've been in that shop, and had it trigger correctly. Is this a one-time flukey bug, or did I somehow mess up the released version? There's a known intermittent shop bug (in the main game) that has very similar symptoms, but according to Nicholas it should only manifest if the shops are non-rectangular and get partially over-written by non-shop rooms... which totally should not even be possible given the size and shape of that shop. ...Hmm... I'll look into it, and post an updated version if I find anything wrong in my code. Thanks for the bug report.

10. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

It would not be difficult to make an additional set of rooms that we add to the database only when the player selects NTTG mode. I'll add it to my wishlist.

No idea about the shop thing.

11. r_b_bergstrom

12. r_b_bergstrom

Do you see anything wrong with this room:
    Code:
    <room width="6" height="10" name="Smallest 7-slot 3-direction Shop">
      <row text="######"/>
      <row text="######"/>
      <row text="#iiii#"/>
      <row text="#....#"/>
      <row text="#.iii#"/>
      <row text="#sWWW#"/>
      <row text="#.S..#"/>
      <row text="d....d"/>
      <row text="##...#"/>
      <row text="###D##"/>
      <flags shop="1" minLevel="0" maxLevel="14"/>
      <customengraving name="Small Carpet" x="2" y="6" passable="1"  png="dungeon/rug_small.spr"/>
      <customblocker name="Brax's Tapestry" x="1" y="1" png="dungeon/tapestry_checkers.spr" />
      <customblocker name="Brax's Tapestry" x="4" y="1" png="dungeon/tapestry_checkers.spr" />
      </room>
    It looks totally normal and viable to me, but for reasons unknown it generated without a Brax or shop pedestals at least once.

13. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

That looks totally fine. Bizarre.

14. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

Try moving Brax away from the door.

15. r_b_bergstrom

I don't think that's the issue. For one thing, when rooms are created, the spaces that get overwritten are the "d" and "D" spaces, plus the 8 spaces directly adjacent to them. Since Brax is already 2 spaces away, that shouldn't be the problem.

IIRC, the two other of my rooms that have had this problem both had Brax further from the door. They were set up as donut-shaped rooms, with Brax in the middle. I'd be more inclined to think that the problem has something to do with Brax not being adjacent to any walls, before I'd blame it on him being too close to a door.

This bug only triggers a small percentage of the time, so it's really hard to tell if any particular change has made a difference. The room I eventually cut from ID went through 3 or 4 published versions because the low incidence rate kept fooling me into thinking I had it fixed.

16. lawpocket

lawpocket Member

Is this issue still happening, and does it happen with every shop or only rarely? I dont wanna put this in my game if it makes shopping worthless. Other than that, looks very nice.

17. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

I've only seen it happen that one time. And you can just delete the zip file again if you don't like the mod, you know. Be reckless with dredmor mods, they're not a pain.

18. r_b_bergstrom

Only one person has reported the bug, and that person has only seen it happen once. I've gotten all the way down to floor 15 while using the mod, and did not encounter the bug at all. So the incident rate is very low, and I wouldn't worry about it "making shopping worthless".

19. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

Based on my observations with Interior Dredmorating, setting nomonsters should help. I suspect this happens when a monster spawns on the same square as brax.

Just encountered it again! There was a mummy that spawned in the room. Disabling monsters should help!

Kazeto likes this.
  20. r_b_bergstrom

Interesting theory, and definitely worth the minimal time it would take me to implement it. Not sure if that's actually what's doing it, though. None of the shops in the main game have the nomonsters flag, and they never have this problem. Also, I'm fairly certain I've seen it happen with the shop being entirely empty, with neither Brax nor any other monsters spawning in the room. But, as I said, the work to implement it would be minimal, so I might as well give it a try.

Kazeto likes this.