You Have To Put The Feedback for the DLC In The Beta Thread

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Nicholas, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

@Glazed
    The dmgMax sounds like a holdover from a completely different stats/combat system. Weapons used to do random damage within a range modified by a whole mess of nonsense including, for no good reason, calculus calls. We'd occasionally get combats dealing negative three million damage for no good reason so the whole thing go overhauled.
    Neat that remnants of this exist.

And heck, you can see how the xml syntax has grown like some kind of hideous inconsistant tumour with different schemes for each different area, eg. turns vs time, resistances vs resistbuff.

... @TheKirkUnited
    Crap, they don't have flying? I'll fix that one tomorrow.

2. Wolg

Wolg Member

Vending machines refuse to sell items for which your cash on hand exactly equals the item's price?

3. Glazed

Glazed Member

I found two more bugs:

\expansion\game\spellDB.xml

Line 256: "percent" instead of "percentage"​
    <targetHitEffectBuff percent="51" name="Ignition Bolt"/>​

Line 963: same thing​
    <targetHitEffectBuff percent="50" name="Fleshbore" />​

4. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

Sonic Wand is supposed to inflict the "Dazed" status.

The current entry for "Mini Sonic Blast" needs to be switched with this.
    Code:
    <spell name="Mini Sonic Blast" type="missile" icon="skills/sonic_cannon32.png" wand="1">
    <effect type="trigger" spell="Dazed" />
      <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impact_blast/impact_blast" frames="5" framerate="16" sfx="magic" />
      <impact sprite="sprites/sfx/impact_piercing/impact_piercing" frames="3" sfx="explosion" framerate="150"  centerEffect="0"/>
      <effect type="trigger" amount="1" spell="Sonic Bang" />
      </spell>

Clockwork Tesla Rod should inflict "Stunned" status
    Code:
    <spell name="Clockwork Tesla Rod effect" type="target" >
     <effect type="trigger" spell="Stunned" />
     <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/lightningstrike/lightningstrike" frames="6" framerate="100" sfx="elec" />
     </spell>
    [code] 

Clockwork Thunderclap should also inflict "Dazed" status
    [code]<spell name="Thunderclap" type="target" icon="skills/impossible_shot32.png">
      <effect type="trigger" spell="Dazed" />
      <effect type="trigger" amount="1" spell="Thunderclap Boom" />
      <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/blastB/blastB" frames="4" framerate="70" centerEffect="1" sfx="explosion"/>
      </spell>

Parabolic Mecha Stomp is flawed, this change will make it work as intended
    Code:
    <spell name="Pendulum Slam" type="template" templateID="20" attack="1" icon="skills/mecha_stomp32.png">
    <buff
          useTimer="1"
          time="0"
          self="0"
          stacksize="1"
          allowstacking="0"
          icon="skills/bloody64.png"
          smallicon="skills/bloody32.png"
          bad="1">
          <halo name="sprites/sfx/impact_blast/impact_blast" num="5" frameRate="100" />
      <secondarybuff id="8" amount="-100"/> <!-- counter -->
      <secondarybuff id="11" amount="-20"/> <!-- resist -->
          </buff>
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/miniquake/miniquake" frames="5" framerate="90" sfx="blast" centerEffect="0"/>
    <effect type="damage" crushing="10"/>
    </spell>
    <spell name="Pendulum Slam2" type="template" templateID="20" icon="skills/mecha_stomp32.png">
    <buff
          useTimer="1"
          time="0"
          self="0"
          stacksize="1"
          allowstacking="0"
          icon="skills/bloody64.png"
          smallicon="skills/bloody32.png"
          bad="1">
          <halo name="sprites/sfx/impact_blast/impact_blast" num="5" frameRate="100" />
      <secondarybuff id="8" amount="-100"/> <!-- counter -->
      <secondarybuff id="11" amount="-20"/> <!-- resist -->
          </buff>
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impactA/impactA" frames="6" framerate="40" sfx="blast" centerEffect="0"/>
    <effect type="damage" crushing="10"/>
    <effect type="knock" amount="2"/>
    </spell>
    <spell name="Pendulum Slam self" type="self" icon="skills/mecha_stomp32.png">
    <effect type="trigger" spell="Pendulum Slam" />
    </spell>
    <spell name="Pendulum Slam2 self" type="self" icon="skills/mecha_stomp32.png">
    <effect type="trigger" spell="Pendulum Slam2" />
    </spell>
    <spell name="Parabolic Mecha-stomp" downtime="50" type="template" templateID="31" anchored="1" icon="skills/mecha_stomp32.png">
      <description text="You leap into the air and come crashing down. The power of your mechanical limbs rocks the dugeon floor like a small boat on a stormy sea of metaphor."/>
      <effect type="teleport"/>
      <effect type="damage" crushingF="4" secondaryScale="10" resistable="0"/>
      <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impactA/impactA" frames="6" sfx="missile" framerate="20" centerEffect="0"/>
      <effect type="suction"/>
      <effect type="trigger" spell="Pendulum Slam self" />
      <effect type="trigger" spell="Pendulum Slam2 self" />
      </spell>

This tweak to the Clockwork Rail Launcher is intended to cutdown on unnecessary effect triggers and confusing item effects
    Code:
    <spell name="High Impact" type="target" >
    <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impact_crushing/impact_crushing" frames="4" framerate="80" centerEffect="1" sfx="blast"/>
    <effect type="trigger" amount="1" affectsCorpses="0" spell="Sonic Bang" />
    <effect type="trigger" amount="1" affectsCorpses="0" spell="Railgun Knockback" percent="15"/>
      </spell>
    <spell name="Railgun Knockback" type="target">
      <effect type="trigger" spell="Stunned" />
      <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/boulder_hit/boulder_hit" frames="6" framerate="80" centerEffect="1" sfx="teleport_short"/>
      <effect type="knock" amount="1"/>
      </spell>
    <spell name="Railgun Beam" type="beam" >
      <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/impact_blast/impact_blast" frames="4" framerate="40" sfx="magic" />
      <effect type="trigger" affectsCorpses="0" amount="1" spell="High Impact"/>
      <effect type="paralyze"  amount="5" turns="1"/>
      </spell>

In addition, IRC conversations indicate that players don't know that Rocket Jump and Charge of the Steam brigade are Rook teleports. Text needs to be added that would indicate so, -OR- you could change these spells to targetfloor instead.

One last thing:
    The description for Clockwork Knight needs to be updated. Blacksmithing no longer applies direct bonuses to Clockwork Knight skills or abilites.

The Halo effect for Thaumecha Kinetic Damper is too small. I created a special sprite "IDF" to be used with this spell. It was part of the test build but for whatever reason it was not included in this release. I think a halo effect is important for this spell so that the player doesn't forget that it's turned on, and has a nice visual cue when it wears off. It would be nice to have a workable halo sprite for this spell. If you can't have one made, I could send you the new copy of IDF. I placed it in the Dredmor DLC Dev folder of the dropbox.

5. Glazed

Glazed Member

At some point you may want to pay back this technical debt and make the XML files a little more consistent. There are a several obvious changes that are relatively minor. Changing your source code to account for such changes should be pretty easy. The hard part is fixing the hundreds or thousands of instances of each of these changes in the XML. That's where software could make it simple. It's just a matter of loading the current data into an object model then writing it all back out to new XML files. That's what I'm doing with my tool, except my target is a SQL Server database. It wouldn't be that hard to output XML files instead. If modders were provided with such a tool they could use it to update their mods at the same time without having to go through the pain. Making them do it manually would be out of the question.

And then would come the testing... lots of testing. At least typos, invalid XML, and orphaned content wouldn't exist, and either every instance of a feature is broken at once, or none of them are. It'd just be a matter of testing a few examples of each feature.

Suggestions:
    • Change primaryBuff and secondaryBuff to work just like <weapon> or <damageBuff>: have one attribute for each stat and only one primaryBuff or secondaryBuff element. This is instead of the multiple tags now with id="N" amount="M". (no more IDs needed)
    • Eliminate type="N" attributes on <item> (which indicates weapon type) and add a type="typeName" attributes to <weapon> elements instead.
    • Use either percent or percentage in all cases, and not both.
    • Use "turns" instead of "time" in all cases.
    • Eliminate all defunct attributes like dmgMax.
    • Make sure the data is consistent. No items that reference spells that don't exist, or vice versa, etc. Eliminate orphaned spells and items (Cheating Cones?)
    • I'm sure I can come up with more.
    Or, who cares about any of this if we had an IDE instead of hand-hacking XML. Maybe that should be the goal. ;)

6. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

Floor Triggers are still hit and miss. Here is a photo with one not working. Nothing major just slightly annoying.

Trigger Fail.jpg

Also, if this helps locate the crash bug for new games, here is a map of DL1 from a game that didn't crash.

Map Level 01.jpg

I am using Windows XP and don't have RotDG.

7. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Not at this point in time, no. We passed the point of diminishing returns here.

Essence likes this.
  8. Kaoschan

Kaoschan Member

Some things:

- Let the Crafting UI auto-refresh upon opening it. It's midly annoying to press the filter button again only to get the crafting menu to refresh.
    - A new Crafting UI filter -> incomplete recipes --> shows all recipes where you have at least 1 ingredient
    - Red outliner for items if they are behind wallgrafic
    - A way to speed up the combat log + add combat log for ranged/magic attacks etc...

9. Tankran

Tankran Member

Getting random recipies in the wrong tab's of the crafting ui, for example:
    testlol1.jpg
    It's happening in other tabs too, using the rc2 after loading my rc1 game if thats an issue

10. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Now available on Dredmorpedia.

Bugs I've noticed from this:
    • Last level of throwing has a crossbow proc
    • Is the first sword proc meant to scale with :life:?
    • Two of the Geology spells seem to be missing

11. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

This happens whenever you get a new craftDB.xml for an existing save. It should go away if you start a new character.

OmniNegro likes this.
  12. Are there any known fixes we ought to specifically be watching out for? It seems to me there was something about crafting levels discussed?

Also: have just found an issue where going upstairs to a level I'd cleared on last night's save (stash retrieval. Mad Science is pretty inventory-intense!) - anyhow, going back upstairs I found the corpses of last nights enemies all standing as unmoving, normal sprites instead of their corpse sprites. They were all still deceased, but still kind of weird. It's like some mad taxidermist came up behind me.

Edit: a bit of further experimentation determined that these corpses are, in fact, decaying normally. Just behaving oddly.

13. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

If you guys are still looking for any balance changes I have two suggestions.

1) The acid cloud from my chemical explosion seems to be consumed when a monster enters the cloud as opposed to being permanent for several turns. If this could be changed the cloud would be far more useful than it is now (not useful at all). It sounds like you guys have at least addressed the final skill and the pacify in emomancy which makes the skill set useful.

2) Have the first point in necroeconomics grant 2 necro resist (assuming from the nacro buff in psionics that the goal is to make the first couple levels a bit less painful).

Additionally, I would like to see tomes crafted by the wand crafting skill. Because that would be awesome. Also, a skill set based around the tomes would be really cool too. Who here isn't compelled to play a book wielding pirate vegan monk?

14. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Very minor thing, but worth mentioning. The final level of Fungal Arts has two targetKillEffectBuffs on it -- modders have fairly conclusively proven that you can only have one of each kind of XYZBuff per skill level; it simply ignores any past the first. (If that's changed, that's totally f**king sweet, but if not, that level should be tweaked.)

15. Ruigi

Ruigi Will Mod for Digglebucks

I think this only applies to targetkilledbuff.

16. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I've encountered problems with multiple playerhiteffectbuffs on one level, too -- but either way, it's a targetkill buff we're talking about, so even if I'm misremembering, it's still directly applicable. :)

17. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Surprisingly my experience so far in the beta has been one of non-bugginess, minus that whole saving/loading issue.
    I'll keep my eye out for anything big or small.
    I have noticed some ravens having black health bars too though.

18. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I love the bolt vending machines. So far I have only done level 1 but on two different characters, 3 found machines gave me a lot of low level bolts. It seems they may have been tweaked to be level specific. That's great! :D I just hope that there is still a small chance of higher level bolts spawning in the machines. :)

I have also noticed the ravens with the black health bars and the raven animations stopping.

One small thing that I would really love to see is the damage specifics on thrown weapons, bolts and wands/spells. I like to know just how much damage I am doing when I strike. :)

Another nice thing would be to see how much health an enemy has before I hit them, maybe in the little blurb that says what they are. That is a little thing and might be spoilery to some people so it may not happen. A little checkbox in the options could probably handle whether or not it is shown. Anyway keep up the great work. :)

19. Glazed

Glazed Member

An XML validation tool would be a good compromise. I plan on making one anyway for my web site so that uploaded mods are validated before being loaded into the database. At least it would help modders with the esoteric syntax.

20. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

@Ruigi:
    Done. Well, most of them.
    (... I'm pissed off at the doubled description tags; they appear in both the skillDB and spellDB, so once I know which one I don't actually have to waste my time on I'll make sure they're filled out properly ...)

@King Banhammer:
    Fleshsmithing got a big overhaul, I'd like to see how people feel about how it works now.
    The new skills need lots of poking-at. Probably overpowered (but I say that about everything).

@LionsDen:
    There were some broken room tags and .. lots of broken random xml. I fixed up a lot of it yesterday and a bit more this morning. Whatever the next build is should be more stable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.