YAAP

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Retloc20, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Retloc20

Retloc20 Member

Yet Another Ascension Post!
    We gotta have 'em, and here we go.
    I probably wasn't the first, but I reported in my win to the devs because the Audio Bug crashed me during the end cinematic, and they say I was the first win they've heard of, so... whoo?

Mostly went with unarmed and nonmagic feats through the dungeons. Waiting for the magic bar to refill just was way too boring, and I liked the tactics of timing my moves out. Burglary's invisibility and door-teleport saved my bacon through most of it, and I used the unarmed techniques to keep stronger enemies from hitting back.

Killed Dredmor at level 15, Rogue difficulty, wedged in a door via Mysterious Ways and blasting him with an uber-crossbow I'd found on the last floor.
    I managed to get there at lvl 15 by skipping the last half of the game via Mysterious Ways and invisibility. Realized my skill set precluded actual combat after a certain point, but I was determined to make the best of it.

Love the game, sorry to say most of my time was spent slapping the spacebar to heal while out of combat, and I never messed around with the anvils or any of the in-game currencies. They're too random, take way too much effort to buy into, and honestly there's nothing useful presented in them, especially for unarmed guys. No reason to risk 100 lutefisk or whatever for a pair of boots half as good as ones I found 3 floors up. Enough whinging, though! They'll sort it in post!

Your stories?

2. Raneman

Raneman Member

Me make level 2. Me eaten by zomby.

3. Retloc20

Retloc20 Member

Sorry, ascension post means a post about the time you've beaten the game. So when you kill Dredmor, tell us how you did it and so forth. Lots of other story threads around, though! Any game-winners out there?

4. RF

RF Member

Shamefully, I did it on elvishly easy. Pure melee focused character.

Maces, Master of Arms, Shields, Assassination, Smithing, Burglary and Berserker Rage. I was basically an unstoppable force through the levels up to about seven. After that, I was finding it was slow going, so I only did half of level nine and then skipped down. My juggernaught-ness started to falter then, as enemies were doing lots of damage per swing and I didn't really have enough dodge to save against them. Ended up using the same tactics as you did (Mysterious Ways and the ninja skill) especially to get through a zoo that was blocking my path.

The corruptive enemies were the main issue later on. I was heavily relying on my gear and when I saw about a third of the enemies on level 10 were corruptive, I thanked Krong that I'd kept a few pieces of gear (and found some amazing non-random artifacts on level 10 itself).

Dredmor wasn't as hard as most of the enemies on level 10, he was a bit of a let down really. The main difficulty was in finding him and dealing with my slowly melting armour.

It doesn't look like my game has been reported in to the global servers though, sadly, because I'd currently be on top in terms of points if it was. Elvishly Easy + Permadeath.

Did this a few hours ago, by the way. Post a few minutes after I did it: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85252.msg2443106#msg2443106

Proof: http://i.imgur.com/Ui4GX.png

EDIT: Don't know why it says I died to an Arch Diggle. :S I really didn't. I've got the achievement and everything. http://steamcommunity.com/id/R-F/stats/DungeonsOfDredmor/?tab=achievements

5. Aftermath

Aftermath Member

Just cleared on Dwarvish Moderation with no Permadeath (started when the random crash bug was frequent).

Went with Vampire Staff melee and Viking/Geomancy DoT, while focusing all of my gear toward defense. I basically always tried to fight just one enemy at a time and prioritized DoT on all of the corrupting mobs (only had 4 corruption hits). An Arch Diggle would die in 16mp, 2 arctic vortexes and a Thaumite infestation, I never really had to wait on mana and had 100+ potions at the end (only needed them during the zoos). I didn't use it as much as I would have liked, but I had a crossbow that hit for around 40 and about 200 ammo.

There really wasn't much trouble at all, no deaths except an intentional one to get the Arch Diggle achievement (since I wasn't sure if I'd make it back down that far). Level 10 zoo was a bit worrying, I was attacking an Arch Diggle and kept getting countered, but with no way to heal I just sort of had to go with it. At 11hp, I hesitated for a long time before attacking, ended up getting a double haywire and healing for 90HP (back to full).

I cleared all of the floors 100%, so was at a really high level (only had 4 skills left), the only threats were Arch Diggles that hit for ~20 and the corruption blobs. One thing that made the last few floors less stressful than they should have been was that my sneakiness got too high, so I'd open a door and the enemies wouldn't ever notice me until I hit them.

Dredmor only took half a mana bar, just cheaped him out with Skatha's roots, Arctic Vortex, and Thaumites.

I think I'm going to start playing on Going Rogue, I might try the same build again to see if I can clear it on the harder difficulty. After that I think I'll try out some mage stuff, there are some crazy items toward the end, and spells become so cheap (reduce in cost with higher magic power).

6. Lazer_69

Lazer_69 Member

I rage quitted at level 7 as a vampire dual wielding warrior lol so close. everytime i hit, i only got 1hp back... seriously... they hit me for 10-20. lol. earlier stages were fine. 3hp back every hit i get. but 1... 1... 1.

7. Aftermath

Aftermath Member

I think the amount you get goes up with your health/level. At the end, I was getting 5 on a "normal" hit. Eating a corpse still only gave 4 though.

I think there's a bug that heavily favors vampire mages. When you do a melee attack that connects, any hits you get during that turn give you health. So in something like a monster zoo, where I had huge amounts of DoTs on the monsters, I was getting 5x20 HP each round. It would also explain why I was getting 10-15 on average, since I'd usually throw down a DoT or two in every room to get the mobs' attention.

So by unwittingly abusing that exploit, the only times I wouldn't get crazy HP back is when I was countered or dodged. Without using that, I can definitely seeing Vampire being incredibly tough on the later levels. Not even sure how you'd go about it as a warrior, some stuff hits for 20+ each turn and there's not much you can do about it?