Wyrmling is awesome

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Pulsewidth, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Pulsewidth

Pulsewidth Member

- Spawns on any empty square in LOS
    - Always draws aggro when adjacent to an enemy
    - More damage per mana than any other spell (except maybe other pets) early to mid game
    - I think it blocks enemy LOS too

I'm only playing on DM difficulty, but I've slaughtered everything up to level 5 just with careful Wyrmling use, and never felt in any real danger.

Are pets really supposed to be this good? The aggro behavior almost feels like a bug. Summon Wyrmling seems like such a non-brainer response to any combat that it's a bit boring.

2. Android089

Android089 Member

Also runs over traps (Activating them). And does an explosion when it spawns.

3. Orion

Orion Member

I think you'll find that pets (although useful) fall out of favor at higher levels. They don't advance as far as I can tell so they quickly become overmatched in the deeper regions. They're very useful at low levels though.

4. Fax Celestis

Fax Celestis Member

The wyrmling flies, so it doesn't trip traps.

5. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

Unless they've changed it (which is possible), then it does trip traps even though it flies. I've not tried it in 1.06 or 1.07, though.

6. Android089

Android089 Member

Oh. I thought it activated traps.

The old description said it ran over traps for you. (right?)

7. Pulsewidth

Pulsewidth Member

I abandoned my DM game and switched to GR. Up to level 9 now, and wyrmling is still ridiculously overpowered. By this floor it's not so much a DPS spell as a movable and "sticky" obstacle, and with the orthogonal movement and braindead AI this is pretty much a guaranteed win. Even if I somehow mess up the wyrmling placement I have way too many invisibility potions and the Mathemagic teleports, so unless level 10 is a huge jump in difficulty only extreme carelessness can kill my character now.

8. FaxCelestis

FaxCelestis Will Mod for Digglebucks

It does not in 1.07.

9. Pulsewidth

Pulsewidth Member

And the exact same tactics worked with zero modification on Lord Dredmor. Summon Wrymling next to him blocking his LoS, spam spells, resummon Wrymling whenever Dredmor kills it. He never got a single hit on me. Once you've got that Wrymling the difficulty level becomes a joke.