Wrestlemancy: Those diggles won't hit themselves. OR WILL THEY?

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by TSED, Jun 18, 2012.

1. TSED

TSED Member

[Available in the Steam workshop!]

Adds the Wrestlemancy skill into the game. Using the ancient powers of the 80's wrestlemancers, you'll surely be able to counter all that you come across!

I noticed that there isn't really a skill to take advantage of the counter mechanic. Then some other enterprising fellow uploaded a "wrestling" skill tree and I thought "Gee! I'd better finish that Wrestlemancy thing I started a while ago!"

I fear I may have overpowered it a touch here, but oh well. Feedback is quite welcome!

Starting Equipment: rubber pants.

EDIT:: I have nerfed it a bit after some further play-testing.

Cheered By The Crowd: toned down the scaling on the heal. I thought it was at 0.15, but turns out it was at 0.75! That's A LOT.

The Hulk Rock: Slightly turned down the buff. Is now 4/4/5/5.

Champion Of The Squishy, Ant-Like Peons: nerfed magic bounce *and* counter to 40 and 15 respectively, and also increased the upkeep from 1/8 to 1/6.

Luchadorian Momentum: +5 CA, -1 Asphyxiative Resist, +1 Existential Resist
    Upon successfully striking a target, gain +2 counter attack (from here on to be referred to as "CA") for 8 turns. Stacks up to 5 times.

Cheered By The Crowd: +5 EDR
    Whenever you successfully counter attack an opponent, gain a small heal (5 raw, scales with counter ability).

Punch Out The World: +2 Burl
    5 mana 'spell' that digs 1 adjacent square. Can also be used as a knockback on opponents!

The Hulk Rock: +2 Cad
    On a successful counter attack, you have a chance of "Hulkrocking Out!" You gain a sizable increase in stubbornness (5), caddishness(4), burliness (4), and enemy dodge reduction for a few rounds.

1440-Degree Flying Nose Bar: +1 Melee Power
    Stun yourself and your target for 7 rounds, and choke your opponent for low asphyxiative and crushing damage. 12 round cooldown timer. Be careful not to use this in crowds!

Champion Of The Squishy, Ant-Like Peons: +2 Cad
    A two-hit brittle buff with a mana upcost of once every 6 rounds. +40 counter, +15 magic bounce, -10 armour, -5 crushing, slashing, piercing, and blasting resists.

Here's the spelldb.xml:

Code:
    <spellDB>

<spell name="Luchadorian Momentum" type="self">
        <buff useTimer="1" time="8" allowstacking="1" stacksize="5" self="1"
        icon="skills/rogue/leap64.png" smallicon="skills/rogue/leap32.png" >
        <secondarybuff id="8" amount="2"/><!-- counter -->
    </buff>
        <description text="The voodoo of the ring has infused you with counter-productive powers!  But in a good way."/>
      <ai hint="ally"/>
    </spell>

<spell name="Crowd Power" type="self" icon="skills/spells/restoration32.png" >
        <effect type="heal" amount="5" amountF="0.12" secondaryScale="8" />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/flesh_heal/flesh_heal" sfx="flesh_heal" frames="7" framerate="100" />
        <description text="woo"/>
      <ai hint="ally"/>
    </spell>

<spell name="Punch Out The World" type="adjacentwall" icon="skills/demon32.png" >
      <requirements mp="5" savvyBonus="0.0" mincost="5"/>
      <description text="It's just you versus the world, and you're pretty sure you can win.  Eventually." />
        <effect type="knock" amount="3" self="0"/>
      <effect type="dig" regengfx="1"/>
      <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/digging_ray_hit/digging_ray_hit" frames="9" framerate="90" sync="1" sfx="magic" centerEffect="1"/>
      </spell>

<spell name="Hulkrocking Out!" type="self" icon="skills/wizard/spell_earth0_64.png" wand="0">
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/rage/rage" frames="3" framerate="50" sfx="ping" />
        <buff useTimer="1" time="10" stacksize="1" icon="skills/wizard/spell_earth0_64.png" smallicon="skills/wizard/spell_earth0_32.png">
            <primarybuff id="0" amount="4"/> <!-- Bur -->
            <primarybuff id="3" amount="4"/> <!-- Cad -->
            <primarybuff id="4" amount="5"/> <!-- Stub -->
            <secondarybuff id="9" amount="5"/> <!-- EDR -->
          </buff>
        <description text="For some reason, you're jonesin' for a hoagie.  No, not quite a hoagie.  Hmmm." />
      </spell>

<spell name="1440-Degree Flying Nose Bar" type="adjacent" icon="skills/monster_toss32.png" wand="0" downtime="12">
        <description text="Take to the skies like the majestic Emperor Penguin, and flop around with your opponent's nose firmly in grasp.  Neither of you will be able to do much of anything, but you're not the one in a nose-bar."/>
        <effect type="trigger" spell="1440 Degree Flying Nose Barrer" />
        <effect type="trigger" spell="1440 Degree Flying Nose Barree"/>
      </spell>

<spell name="1440 Degree Flying Nose Barree" downtime="12" type="adjacent" icon="skills/monster_toss64.png">
    <effect type="paralyze" turns="7" resistable="0" affectsCaster="1"/>
            <effect type="dot" amount="7" affectsCorpses="0" spell="Choke" />
            <description text="Take to the skies like the majestic Emperor Penguin, and flop around with your opponent's nose firmly in grasp.  Neither of you will be able to do much of anything, but you're not the one in a nose-bar."/>
        </spell>

<spell name="1440 Degree Flying Nose Barrer" downtime="12" type="self" icon="skills/monster_toss64.png">
    <effect type="paralyze" turns="7" resistable="0" affectsCaster="1"/>
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/summonA/summonA" frames="10" sfx="radiant" framerate="60" centerEffect="1" />
        </spell>

<spell name="Choke" type="target" >
        <effect type="damage" crushing="3" crushingF="0.05" secondaryScale="0" affectsCaster="0" />
        <effect type="damage" asphyxiative="3" asphyxiativeF="0.05" secondaryScale="0" affectsCaster="0" />
      </spell>

<spell name="Champion of The Squishy, Ant-Like Peons" type="self" icon="skills/wizard/spell_fire9_32.png" wand="0">
        <requirements mp="12" savvyBonus="0.27" mincost="3" />
        <anim sprite="sprites/sfx/combust_hit/combust_hit" frames="5" framerate="80" centerEffect="0" sfx="blast"/>
        <!-- <buff manaUpkeep="6" timer="0" stacksize="1" allowstacking="0" icon="skills/wizard/spell_fire9_64.png smallicon="skills/wizard/spell_fire9_32.png> -->
      <buff removable="1"
            manaUpkeep="6"
            brittle="2"
            useTimer="0"
            stacksize="1"
            allowstacking="0"
        icon="skills/wizard/spell_fire9_64.png"
        smallicon="skills/wizard/spell_fire9_64.png">
            <secondarybuff id="8" amount="40"/> <!-- counter -->
            <secondarybuff id="22" amount="15"/> <!-- Magibounce -->
            <secondarybuff id="10" amount="-10"/> <!-- armour -->
            <resistbuff slashing="-5" crushing="-5" piercing="-5" blasting="-5" existential="-5"/>
      <ai hint="self"/>
        </buff>
        <description text="No one can touch you.  You are just.  That.  Good.  As a side effect of being Just.  That.  Good., you've grown a little soft.  Still, you're not The Champion for nothing." />
      </spell>

</spellDB>

Attached Files:

Daynab and OmniNegro like this.
  2. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

And the angel said to him, Stop hitting yourself! But he could not stop, for the angel was hitting him, with his own hands.

Syphonix likes this.
  3. TSED

TSED Member

I'm not sure if that was just you having fun, or if that was the subtlest way of saying "this is biblically overpowered" I've ever seen.

4. mining

mining Member

Oh my god this is ridiculous and I don't even the forget to english.

Tirien66 likes this.
  5. TSED

TSED Member

Thanks for pointing that out. I was like, "hurrr, I want to get counters at the beginning." It took someone pointing it out for me to realise "oh wait the CAPSTONE for dual wield gets +10 CA."

So the question is as follows: do you think it should be +2 per (to a total of +10)? Slightly more, slightly less?It's pretty hard to get the full maintain going unless you're fighting a zoo, so I figure that difficulty is going to allow it to be about on par with a single passive.

6. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

It was more of a skill description suggestion than anything else. I haven't played this yet (and indeed cannot, as I'm still experiencing an absurd CPU bug with the mod launcher) so I can't really say anything regarding the skillset's power.

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

PotW is awesome. I wish there were more cheap spamable digger spells. :)

8. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

Been playing with this skill a bit, and I think it's still a tad OP.

The heal-on-counter, even after the nerf, is quite high. A base counter rating of 25-30% is enough to clear a DL5 monster zoo without using any healing items whatsoever on DM.

The rubber pants wholly eliminate half the threat of the early levels when combined with a decent :armor_asorb:. None of the slime monsters deal damage to me, at all.

Granting a digging spell at rank 3 is a bit silly given how late in the game all the other dig spells show up. Also, the in-game description's a bit troll, since said spell doesn't do anything at all to monsters. I didn't get the knockback effect you mentioned in the topic when I used it.

9. TSED

TSED Member

I'm in agreement. I just haven't finished an update and uploaded it.

Yeah. When I finally get around to updating it, I took out the scale-by-counter and it just runs off of magic power. We'll see how that goes. If it flubs horribly (which it might - melee isn't particularly magic-power-y), I'll just set it to not heal on every counter.

Yep. Custom item of "Latex Pants" which adds 3 points of counter instead.

The problem with monsters is that the knockback is only set to 1. This means the monster gets knocked back (assuming no resist), and then steps forward on its turn. Easy enough to fix. As for being such an early dig spell... Yeah, that's my intention. Dig isn't THAT overpowered, in my opinion / experience, and so I granted it early on so you could get it without really having to backtrack to check those you-know-it's-an-item-but-cannot-get-into-it-yet spots.

This was the first mod I managed to finish, and my inexperience is pretty obvious.

banjo2E likes this.
  10. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Member

When you update/balance, could you upload the mod here as well?

11. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

I'd set the scale to be :caddishness: (which is basically your ego rating and therefore makes perfect sense). That way you get benefits from rogue and warrior levels (rogue/warrior is most likely to benefit from high counter) without being tied directly to the stat that triggers it.

Alternatively, just scale back the scaling.