Wow Fungal Arts is really good.

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by TopHatCat, Jul 17, 2011.

1. TopHatCat

TopHatCat Member

Then those instant-heal Mushrooms to back you up... Niiiice, get something defensive and that's unkillable if your smart. Might have to give it a try sounds fun.

2. torchedearth

torchedearth Member

Well, I do love this new skill - thanks for the heads up but I think it is currently too powerful.

I haven't even cleared out level one of the dungeon with my current character and what with the stacks of different mushrooms I have collected I just bought a 6,600 zorkmid sword from a shop.

3. Herborist

Herborist Member

You can plant fungi in the patches of dirt that randomly spawn in the dungeon. They're never used up, so you can stand there and spam fungi on that one spot. I made around 40 "The Prince" shrooms in a minute.

When you use the shroom change skill, it'll change an entire stack - this makes things much faster.

4. Slimeherder

Slimeherder Member

Yes very nice skill tree ;)

Anyone else managed to have multiple slimes? I did it once but have not
    been able to since the patch I think. Maybe was a bug...Was very nice though.

edit: nm did it again, ditch one spawn another out of range lead it back to have an actual herd.

5. TopHatCat

TopHatCat Member

Yeah I tried to make a Summoner once... Fungal Arts, Wyrvn, Golems... But you can only have 1 summon at a time :( Made me a sad kitty cat.

Tho honestly I can see why, Summons are very nice, albeit incredibly dumb and useless sometimes.

6. Tacroy

Tacroy Member

I've been playing a character with fungal recently, and it really needs to be modified.

First, it's outright better than alchemy. I mean yeah, with alchemy you can craft potions which provide better buffs than the fungi, but how often do you actually manage to do that? On the other hand, you'll always have giant stacks of your favorite fungi available, as long as you remember to keep gathering spores. This is really a problem with Alchemy being underpowered than anything else, though; after all, you'd imagine that an alchemist could generally whip up something for any situation, but in practice you just never have the materials.

The whole gathering spores thing is the real problem with fungal: it requires a ton of micromanagement. To get the most out of it, you have to use that skill every 32 turns, and then put the spores on corpses until you run out, and then use the skill some more - it's just tedious. What would be way better is a 20% chance of a fungus growing on every enemy corpse, which increases by 20% for each level in the skill (so 20% at first level, 40% at second level, up to 100% at fifth level). That way, you just need to worry about gathering the fungi after a battle, you don't have to do the micromanagement of generating spores and planting them.

7. Rikkard

Rikkard Member

Having like 6 different summons out would be a terrible experience. It would take like 5 seconds per turn.

8. Paidprinny

Paidprinny Member

In much the same token that attacking your summoned slime helps with Vampirism, so too does the level 5 ability and gaining experience points. On par with the current version of <b>It belongs in a museum,</b> or perhaps exceeding it in usefulness. When the summoned shroom dies, by the player's hand or a monsters, 25 experience points are given to the player without the consumption of a valuable artifact. Note that while it is less experience for per use, it is more reusable.

9. DragonRider

DragonRider Member

As silly as it is to get experience for killing your own minions, 25 experience every 90 turns really isn't very impressive. Honestly you could probably go back to the first dungeon level and grind Diggle spawns for more gain than that. The fact that Dungeons of Dredmor doesn't have a mechanic to discourage excessively grindy behavior is a problem which isn't specific to any given skill.

10. Corronis

Corronis Member

Remember, "Pudding farming has its own punishment: it's called pudding farming." I think that applies to most if not all grindy stuff in roguelikes.

11. Sunhawk

Sunhawk Member

The second minion is somewhat low on health, however. Same with the second minion in golemancy.

12. TopHatCat

TopHatCat Member

So iv been hearing alot of complaints about how strong it is now xD

...I grew Mushrooms before it was cool 8)

13. Desi

Desi Member

@Tacroy Alchemy? Underpowered? I was running around with 80 healing potions the other game. All you need to do is craft all of the booze you find into Aqua Vitae, and grind rusty items and iron ingots into rust. With that and a stony wand I could basically adventure with impunity.