Wishes for 1.0.12+

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Kaoschan, Jun 8, 2012.

1. magicbison

magicbison Member

What if that empty Vender spawn rune combo( O, I, A ) was used for a mini Brax franchise to sell player goods when shops are nowhere near by?

Stryke likes this.
  2. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

GAH! I really hate how buggy this game is still.
    I'd really prefer it for you guys to make both the Evil Chest spawn and the Krong anvil changable.
    It keeps screwing up my computer when it fails over and over and over,and I have to reload the game, because the game has a horrible memory leak, and takes longer and longer, and then exponentially longer to load a save game, and then it bugs out.

So, please, do this to fix the horrible memory leak.
    If nothing else, please stop the destruction of my computer via catastrophic failure from memory leaks in Dredmor eventually freezing my system.

It feels like you're insulting us when you haven't even mentioned it no matter how many times I've and others have asked for it. :( What do we have to do to get it?

3. Aegho

Aegho Member

1) Inventory fix for crafting, seriously.
    2) All procs working in buff tags!
    3) Evil chests not only giving weapons, but also shields!

4. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

I'm not sure if this is what you meant or not, but that totally reads like you're complaining to them that the game doesn't like it when you save-scum. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Anyhow, I suspect the memory leak is part of Steam, not necessarily Dredmor. Due to the problem with Steam Workshop breaking games, I've started launching the game without Steam, and it loads and reloads much faster. It's been making it so much easier to test things when modding now that I'm not using Steam anymore. Try running outside of Steam, and it may save your computer some wear-and-tear.

5. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

The save-scumming would be negated by my request, which is to make Evil Chests and Krong modifiable so you can change their percentage chances to spawn monsters/bad krong enchants, accordingly.

I didn't mean to be angry, I just hate how the game does have a memory leak. I'll try without Steam.
    My computer isn't amazing, I know.

If people don't want to complain about me save scumming, just give me the modding ability to change the bad rolls. I really don't see how that has to always and forever be a hard coded thing. Really, it can't be hard to make it modifiable. :(

What else can I do but save scum until then? Especially on really sadistically bad rolls, like non-stop monsters in the evil chests instead of items.
    It's not like I get useful weapons 99.999% of the time. More like 25%.
    And I wouldn't appreciate Shields because I'm a dual-wielder, and that would just further reduce the chance of using something from them. Even though they do end up becoming free XP when they're useless.

I really don't see how it has to be such a hard thing to add to this game, I really don't. If they tell me it is, I'll shut up and keep save scumming.
    Personally, I'd go for the option to prevent me from save scumming, by adding what I want. :)

6. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

The memory "leak" is not a leak. It's a little more insidious than that.

Dredmor keeps all maps in memory at all times. The further down you go, the more Dungeon it has to keep loaded. We dealt with a bunch of problems in this area - we now free unused sprites, etc. - but we still keep the map data (And probably some unnecessary and unused items) from level to level.

We're addressing this as part of the iPad work. When we're done, the game will fit on an iPad and in about 500 megs of memory, tops, on your PC.

Kazeto, Essence and OmniNegro like this.
  7. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Ah. Okay. Yeah, that will help a lot when you get that working.

I'm glad you'll fix that.

Now, then, what are the odds you'll make more things editable eventually? Or should I just fly to your headquarters and arm wrestle you all for it? :)

8. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Count me in as part of the Let Me Mod ALL The Things crowd, but more importantly, I'd like to have an ability somewhere that specifically and only removes negative Krongings in the same way that Flames of the Heckforge removes corruption. That's all. :)

DavidB1111 and OmniNegro like this.
  9. Erikan

Erikan Member

This isn't a serious suggestion/wish. I just do these kinds of things when I'm bored, and the game does remind me of Daggerfall a little bit. Just a little. Okay not much. Anyway, if it did happen, this would be awesome:

[​IMG]

10. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

There was discussion a while ago about a Dungeon Master type interface. It would be something you could toggle on and off. But it is difficult if not impossible to do that without rewriting the executable. In time I bet we will have something like that.

But it would actually increase complexity a lot. How could you target the enemies that are not directly in front or in back of you?

11. Erikan

Erikan Member

I suppose when you selected a skill or spell that required overhead targeting the game would automatically swap back to normal mode to cast it. Which also begs the question, if a 3D engine is indeed implemented, how would that handle thrown weapons, bolts, and "magic missile" spells? If I shot a squid bolt with some accuracy, I might expect it to go over the heads of a half dozen diggles and hit something taller in the middle of the monster zoo, rather than smack into the first small object in my way. With the present tile-based 2D engine, a 3D interface would be very much Doom-like, with no Z-axis whatsoever.

12. Isc4riot

Isc4riot Member

Make the "Fuelled by Booze" and "Well Fed" buffs into spells or something that works with triggers. (I'm not entirely sure how exactly they work but its a pain in the ass working with them.)

13. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Currently they are hardcoded. There is no way to modify them as it is. But this is the right thread for the request. :)

14. Kaoschan

Kaoschan Member

Add a flag for items so that they NEVER appear on the floor and/or in chests/breakables.
    Something like noloot=1, to create a way for exclusive crafted stuff (like some modders want it to be)

15. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

... yeah, okay, I'd play that.

16. hesuchia

hesuchia Member

I concur with more moddability. The Krong anvil changes and such don't even have to be "cheats". You could create a special quest level that upon completion, rewards you with an anvil that 100% enchants your item with X amount of buffs. Or even an entire custom overhaul-mod that changes the mechanics entirely. Or even multiple altars like Nethack, where the god you're most affiliated with will give you the best chance of good results, etc.

As I've mentioned in many other threads, though, crafting overhaul is still my number one wish ;). Though that almost definitely be a 1.1 major release :p.

OmniNegro and DavidB1111 like this.
  17. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

I like your ideas. I'd pay to see them, as I've said 30 times. :)

18. Wolg

Wolg Member

If the ticker log is getting attention, scrollback, etc... I'd like to see the messages announcing corruption of gear include which stat(s) were reduced and by how much (just from the corrupting, not any other mods such as prior Krongings).

19. Cream Magneto

Cream Magneto Member

i would like krong to give proc effects to armor/rings instead of just weapons.

and more varied CoE loot because everypony ends up duel wielding CoE weapons by lategame cause shields are worthless =(

20. mining

mining Member

I don't get it - I use shields, fax uses shields - are we missing something really big and obvious?