Will there be swords and shields? Or Pikes?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by frontliner2, Oct 8, 2014.

1. frontliner2

frontliner2 Member

I would love for my colonists to have pikes or Falchions, nice pirate/renaissance curved swords and bucklers perhaps?

They could then get in between the blunderbuss and pistole wielders and the fishpeople. Maybe even pikes?

Is this something that could be done? Is this a nice design choice? I wouldn't know that's why I'm making this thread :D

Additional Synergies,

Settlers with the Foolishly Brave and that trait that makes them want to bash stuff would prefer a melee combat loadout over a pansy ranged load out

Summary,
    - Add Cutlass like swords, like this:
    [​IMG]
    - Make rifles and pistols use ammo.
    - When ammo is low/depleted, drop gun and look for Cutlass

SYNERGY IDEA
    - If Colonist has no combat training (and thus are not soldiers) they don't know how to operate firearms, they DO know how to hit stuff with objects and will grab Cutlass instead of firearm (so this goes for all Militia units (brown coats).

-OR-

- If Colonist DOES have combat training (and thus is a Soldier, red coat) but also certain traits, such as -foolishly brave- or the trait that makes them want to hit things, they prefer the MANLY option of Cutlass wielding.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Euel Ball likes this.
  2. Euel Ball

Euel Ball Member

I like! Of course, we need our colonists and military to be able to -fight back-. I'm thinking of pistol-whipping, butt-stroking (not that kind...) and the old bayonet. (They don't like it up 'um.) I'm thinking also of sabers, cutlasses, machetes and knifes. Heck, even farming tools can be good improvised weapons. (Hoes, shovels, and pitchforks, not to mention axes and scythes...)

zetjester and frontliner2 like this.
  3. frontliner2

frontliner2 Member

The colonist traits could direct their preferred choice imho :) adds depth to the game

4. Viion

Viion Member

"FIX.... BAYONETS!"

5. Wolg

Wolg Member

A key element of imperial thinking may well be that melee weapons are regarded as dreadfully uncouth, indeed indicative of cult tendencies, for her majesty's loyal soldiers.

The civilised sabre, bayonet and good old Marquis of Gearhaven fisticuffs are Colonial Ministry Approved techniques, as utilised by citizens of the appropriate social standing and good character, for showing miscreants and foreign blighters what-for when ammunition and engagement distances run low.

Viion and frontliner2 like this.
  6. frontliner2

frontliner2 Member

Thanks for the replies broskis

7. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

We do indeed have bayonets on a number of guns, and they do enhance melee damage when used. There's also a sabre model, though we don't have a strong concept of soldiers using melee weaponry on purpose right now, though it's definitely a thing on the TODO. In fact, it shouldn't be that hard ... (was just poking at cultist murder the other day and it's pretty relevant to the subject.)

frontliner2 likes this.
  8. Viion

Viion Member

*cough* I didn't intend to imply that bayonets need to be fixed. I was just using the "fix bayonet" command to imply that the true imperial way is, you know, the true imperial way. So let both the cultists and fishies fear the cry of "FIX BAYONET!"

9. The_Fool76

The_Fool76 Member

Writhing Cultist cancels Job "Blood for the Blood God" missing required tool "Twisty Dagger"?

Random side thought: It would be kind of interesting if the cultists also had to build up a supply chain to fully get going. Have to sneak into the smithy to hammer out some daggers for the Murder Act. (Leaving the player to wonder why iron bars seem to go missing if they aren't paying enough attention.)

r_b_bergstrom likes this.
  10. Viion

Viion Member

ROFL... nearly choked on a sandwich I was eating now.

11. Ghin

Ghin Member

There's always room for a good bludgeon, club, or truncheon. There's a long tradition of people in authority cracking skulls with sticks.

frontliner2 likes this.
  12. frontliner2

frontliner2 Member

you know what would be cool Ghin, if all Overseers would carry a fancy styled bludgeon. they woudl then defend their workers from hostilities by engaging the threat.

Also Falchions for the military :) Please?

Kaidelong likes this.
  13. Andouce

Andouce Member

I quite like the idea of swords and pikes certainly. I think soldiers as in footsoldiers should use muskets and other such weaponry. As for perhaps militia they can expand to using pikes and/or swords etc.

I think if the law aspect of the empire comes into play with police and justice systems, they should have batons. Officers as in NCO's and above could use swords. In this sense characters could have 2 weapon slots.

So take an NCO or another character. Could be armed with a pistol and sword taking up a slot. Whereas a soldier has a musket/rifle and an attached bayonet taking the second slot. Anyway like all things in this games development. Much more is to come and be implemented. This is only the beginning :p

The majority of what has been said seems reasonable and practicial ^^

14. TheD3rp

TheD3rp Member

I think high-level officers should be armed with sabres as well as their standard issue pistol, meanwhile all the standard grunts get are a rifle and bayonet.

15. TheD3rp

TheD3rp Member

Also relating to swords, you can see an officer with a sabre near the bottom of this picture:
    [​IMG]

Andouce likes this.
  16. Andouce

Andouce Member

That picture is awesome. Speaking of that, I wonder when we will start to see those variety of hats, helmets and shakos into our colonists/military wear. Not that it is a priority of course :) same if the soldiers had animations similar to those within the picture, shouldering their weapon when walking etc etc.

Cannot wait for the game to develop even further. Every update I am enjoying it even more.