Will there be future paid content?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by enema216, Jul 16, 2011.

1. enema216

enema216 Member

Extra DLC dungeons or Expansion Packs? Because that will really suck =(

I hope Mods is the only thing that is going to happen. But I prefer to be assured.

2. afterstar

afterstar Member

The game is dirt cheap 3euro something.It's much cheaper than other games.
    I wouldn't mind DLC/Expansions as long as the price was very reasonable compared to the original game price.
    What I want to see however is support from the devs to fix all the bugs,skills and balance some of the skills.

3. Abominog

Abominog Member

Actually for just $5 (full game) I would't care if there was paid DLC in fact if the Devs didn't charge us they are wacky Lutefisks :)

4. MikeW

MikeW Member

I agree with Abominog, I got the game for £3.14, which is the price of a cheap burger or the price of... what I eat for lunch. I used to be a console gamer and used to buy... 5 games a year, so spending about £200 a year. £40~ each, the games I have got on PC, about 10 in the last month cost the same as one game, and I play these games more than my console.

Anyway, I think the game is too cheap, they should've made it at least £6/$10. And for DLC, if it is reasonably good DLC, I would pay a £2-£3 for it. It is nothing.

5. BilbyCoder

BilbyCoder Member

I don't think it's nothing... but certainly it's not unreasonable. For the price paid the game is certainly complete, so anything added could be considered extras. And it doesn't diminish the game you've already got if you don't purchase the extra content.

DLC is fine by me so long as the content adds to the game and is reasonably priced.

6. overlordror

overlordror Member

The common price for DLC for Magicka has been around $1.99. If the devs wanted to add more items, a few extra skills, and perhaps some additional encounters within the game, I don't think asking that price would be beyond reasonable.

7. MikeW

MikeW Member

Exactly. But Magicka is £7.99 below is the prices of the DLC's:

£3.49 - Magicka: Vietnam
    £0.59 - Magicka: Wizard's Survival Kit
    £1.79 - Magicka: Marshlands

So if Gaslamp added a DLC which maybe added many new items, few monsters, maybe a different type of dungeon or something, £1.49 would be decent.

Overall, I think the game has been underpriced, if they are making a decent profit, awesome. But pricing DLC will be hard, as people will say "Why is this DLC £1.50 and the game is double... we should get a new game for that price".

8. NefariousKoel

NefariousKoel Member

I'd prefer a good old-fashioned expansion size addition. With more everything!

I think they could charge another $5, or even more depending on how much. :-D

9. mwoody

mwoody Member

I think there's a very good chance they're going to do this, whether we like it or not (I truly despise DLC). Before release, they were going to have some big announcement about "why the game is only $4.99," and then it never happened. The only answer to that question that makes sense is "because we're going to release content for more money." Perhaps they released how much pre-launch DLC announcements anger customers and decided to keep their cards closer to their chest for now.

Note that I'm not saying that $5 is too expensive, or $10, or $15, or whatever it ends up being for the full game with all DLC. I love the roguelike genre and don't think it helps anyone for it to be locked into a "free or die" mentality. It's just that the nickel-and-dime process of the modern paid-content trickle is anathema to a fun playing experience, and it establishes a hostile environment between the developers and their audience. The best case scenario, if they MUST charge for more game, is a large expansion pack after a significant period of time has passed (or a full sequel).

10. MikeW

MikeW Member

If they were planning on either, the game having a lot more content, or they just have ideas for large content updates. I will pay. Aslong as it is no more than the base game. If it is forced to download, that isn't fair. Remember, that if they release DLC, it is helping them, and you don't have to have it if it doesn't fit you.

The game is cheap, no doubt about it. I have stated over and over again about that. If it is something that doesn't add anything *new* (as in, new quests, area(s) etc), then it isn't going to cost much (I suspect).

Anyway, DLC might not be thought of for them, it might be. Whatever way, DLC is a choice, you don't have to get it.

11. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

From the SA thread: "Yes, there are plans for post-release content that may include extra levels. DLC will probably take the form of a slow, steady trickle of new content. It'll be free, though - I'm not a big fan of DLC that you have to pay for, especially when it's stuff that was obviously removed from the game to become DLC. You guys get everything we have when we ship, honest! "

12. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

I much prefer the idea of an actual EXPANSION instead of just DLC.

Add a TON of new content that's well designed. Not just little packs of semi-useful or just broken powerful items and skills.

DLC is just a lazy way to make a buck.

13. enema216

enema216 Member

i dont mind paying 1.49 for a DLC that puts in nice and plentiful content.

I sure hope they won't pull off the Magicka nonsense on me... 10 DLCs in barely 5 months and costing a fortune for a couple of cosmetic items and maybe a nice vietnam mission.... maybe ( i dint buy it )

14. Rex303

Rex303 Member

if I were to pay for DLC for this game it should be for a big content/gameplay update.

not just a bunch of skills or items, but new mechanics that already exist in other roguelikes. hunger, unidentified stuff, god worshipping, maybe races and so on.

otherwise I'm not really interested.

15. Lokloklok

Lokloklok Member

If I could i would honestly donate to these guys because i can see myself putting hundreds of hours into this game if not more and i don't really think the 5 bucks was worth it to them. Therefore the idea of me giving them more money for more content (as long as its not over priced.)? Yes please.

16. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

I don't mind choosing to support a company. The Gaslamp guys definitely deserve it (wonders if there's a job opening).

But DLC is more of a scam than anything else. Plenty of companies release free content updates for small things, and only charge for major expansions.

Games like Minecraft and Terraria came out at $10, while in Alpha/Beta phase. And slowly built on the games without charging the players. They've recieved plenty of donations from folks for their great work.

I think the good reputation you'd get outweighs the few bucks you can scam out of people. Because a lot of DLC heavy games end up failing simply because people refuse to have to keep paying for a game they've already bought.

17. MikeW

MikeW Member

@Lord Bane, Terraria was released when it was finished and is getting free content updates, it was not released in beta/alpha.

Anyway, I agree with you. If the guys get a great idea for a large expansion that actually adds something to the game, which returns more hours of gameplay, I will buy it.

When games get released and you have to pay for small, minor things, it annoys me. Honestly, I am not expecting free content updates, because no where does it say 'Free content updates' officially, but if they do, great!

The game is dirt cheap, anyone who moans if they don't do large amounts of content updates should go f*uck themselves.

18. Lord Blade

Lord Blade Member

Well there were comments from the guys who made Terraria about how they weren't planning on releasing it yet. They didn't believe it to be "finished" though it was certainly fully playable.

19. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

Yep, Terraria wasn't complete at least according to Blue (one of the Devs).

20. Animation

Animation Member

I hope they will do some DLC if it will help them float. Some of their guys may have been contractors but the game is already slipped on top sales. Do some basic math with sales, taxes, and distributor takes, and they may not have a ton to split. So DLC might be a way for them to keep it going (assuming they want to).