Wilde Magicks 0.1

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by Essence, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

This here is the beta 0.1 version of Wild Magic, as per Razarus' request.

It may be OP. It may be UP. It's definitely chaotic. Please try it out and see if you have any major complaints.

Level 1: Wild Self -- slim chance of random buffs/debuffs/selfDoTs when casting a spell. Slimmer chance of further random effects on subsequent turns. Also "cantrip", a spell that does nothing (except potentially trigger wild magic) and only costs 1 MP.

Level 2: Wild Matter -- slim chance of summoning a pile of random crap around you when casting a spell.

Level 3: Wild Mana -- slim chance of gaining 25 MP when casting a spell. Slimmer chance of LOSING 25 MP when casting a spell.

Level 4: Wild Energy -- slim chance of nuking the everliving hell out of any monster within several paces in any direction whenever casting a spell. Also "prestidigitation", a spell that guarantees (at least) one random Wild Magic effect for 10 MP.

Level 5: Van Wilder -- dramatically increased chance for a random Wild Magic effect to happen upon casting any spell.

Balance concerns: some Wild Self buffs are mana-fueled rather than timed, so you might end up willing to hang onto them for a long-ass time. Some Wild Matter summons might unbalance the game because they give you more mana. Some Wild Self doTs will kill your ass if you're level 3 or below when they go off.

You guys tell me if those are worth worrying about. :)

Changelog:
    Beta --> 0.1 Several of the Wild Matter procs were tuned down (i.e. produce less stuff), notably booze and mushrooms. Also, Loren's badass icons are now all active! :D

0.1 --> 0.2 Wild Matter tuned down even more (particularly gems and wands, also to a lesser degree booze.) More importantly, Cantrip was removed because it was just too abusable. Also, Carroty Form!

Attached Files:

2. Razarus

Razarus Member

HahahaH! That's my comment after getting lv5 and casting Wild Energy, running with 9 greedy caps and 4 health potions on floor 2 and burning enemies while turning into a bat FTW :p This + dual staff's should be very interesting gotta start a new character cos i died from trap poison when running amok and throwing spells like a lunatic :p
    Seems a little overpowered BUT the offensive power seems low so can get hard later without a good build.
    I like it tho shame there is no direct damaging spell and a summon, but maybe that's better, 5 skill levels seem a perfect number.
    Also, does it actually work with other spells than the wild magic ones? Cos i forgot to test that.
    In sum, Love it, feels great and immensely powerful when everything explodes around you ;P
    EDIT: Also, add more visual effects if you could (only for the sparkles).

3. The self-wildness should include a chance to erupt with massive sized, low-mid damage AoEs thatt hit not only you but most of the doods in the room. Much more entertaining than a tiny self DoT, less random cruelty and more risk-rewardy.

4. Essence

I want to keep the AoEs limited to Level 4. You should have to work a bit before Wild Magic will just arbitrarily kill everyone around you as a side-benefit to casting Knit Tissue. :)

And yes, Razarus, Wild Magic has a small chance to go off when you cast ANY spell. ;)

Wi§p likes this.
  5. Fayd

Fayd Member

Interesting thought: key your odds of a wild magic effect on your Haywire chance; it already sort of sounds like something Haywire would do normally. I would also suggest the tree grant some haywire chance.

Wi§p likes this.
  6. Essence

Tree already does, but unfortunately there's no way to key chances off of Haywire. :(

7. Fayd

Fayd Member

Sad! I guess I don't really know much at all about modding; I SO wish I had the time to learn, but alas, the study of law is an all consuming task. (Well, aside from playing the game and beating GRPD with significant aid from your amazing skill Bushido. I bet you already know, but Last Stand and Guardian Circle are a TERRIFYING combination for monster zoos.)

8. Essence

Yeah, Last Stand + Celestial Circle is pretty much easy mode as along as you don't move. :)

9. Werediggler

Werediggler Member

This is crazy with Warlockery. If you Have Ebon Flow and Eldritch Smite activated you have so many procs happening at once it's insane. Right now I'm running around as a bat with Fell Power, a Killing Blow, and as all this is happening I'm Siphoning Leylines with Extra-Planar Concentration. I love this mod, thanks Essence. :)

Wi§p and Essence like this.
  10. Just found this out: Wands will trigger the wild magic list, due to creating spell effects. That alone also creates a lot of fun!

11. Essence

Version 0.1 up! (Can someone tell me how to change the title of my thread? I've never figured that trick out. :) )

12. Pester Daynab on IRC / hope he reads your thread and does it on his own

13. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

To the rescue!

Essence likes this.
  14. Fayd

Fayd Member

Hrm. Essence, I tried it last night and Dredmor exploded on me. The game, not the lich, sadly enough. Might have been some other mods, but Wilde Magic was the only new one.

15. Essence

Public Apology: I accidentally -- after going to look it up -- managed to type "Lohan" instead of "Loren". Despite the fact that I went to look it up specifically because I knew Loren's name wasn't Lohan.

I'm a horrible person. Sorry, sugarcube.

Wi§p likes this.
  16. Loren

Loren Member

Wild energy's icon is called incorrectly in the skillDB. it's not showing up in game.

17. Essence

Thanks for the catch, Loren. Fix'd. :)

18. Dray`Gon

Dray`Gon Member

This seems crazy, and yet interesting enough to try. Makes the rogue-like more... rogue-like I guess. XD

19. Essence

Noticed a syntax error in the SpellDB.xml file. I don't know if it would cause the skill to fail, but just in case you might want to redownload it. :)

20. Essence

batty_style.png blobby_style.png diggle_style.png gnome_style.png mc_style.png statue_style.png tuber_style.png

it's almost here...

Hellyale and Wi§p like this.