Widen the Elvish -> Going Rogue Gap.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by 123stw, Sep 2, 2011.

1. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

@Vykk Draygo Well played. Sir, Well played.
    I haven't played the new version yet, but I'm certain I'll have fun.
    Though, to be honest, I've been sick, so I'm a little less patient because of that. I apologize to you and Misery if I come across as a dick.

2. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

No hard feelings, bro. :)

I think I'm going to play some more. See what I really think about mobs casting more. I haven't gotten past level 2 yet, so maybe I just haven't run into it yet.

You can't blame me! Dead Island came out yesterday!

3. Misery

Misery Member

@DavidB1111

Haha, you dont come across as bad or anything, lol. Vykk does have a point though.... something to keep in mind.

MOST people I know dont understand why I'm into the really hard games and whatnot. But I'll rant at them regardless, oh yes I will.

And I think you can beat floor 7 or 8 if you practice enough.... I have to wonder, WHAT exactly is killing you there?

I mean, dont get me wrong... I know floor 7 is a complete pain in the ass by default. It's like, the big "test" for most players. But still, I went through it on DM, and aside from occaisionally yelling "GAH! NOT MORE STUPID MASKS! They take too long to kill!", I was able to get through it (and clear it entirely) with some careful thought. Floor 8 actually seemed real easy compared to that. I'd be interested to know what's stomping you in there, if it's like a specific enemy type or something. There might be a useful strategy to recommend, perhaps. Or something.

....and I wasnt aware of more monsters casting spells than usual.

There's more than just the octo, djinn, and masks. There's also the obnoxious Pumpkinns or however it's spelled in this, with their stupid gas spell (floor 4), there's the 3 types of dragons (Ice, Fire, and Corruption, they all have ranged breath attacks), the fire eels have this damn nasty fireball spell (seriously, that spell hit me pretty hard... I was VERY careful around those jerks after seeing that), and Fell Carrots on floor 10 have this bizarre ranged debuff bolt that... really isnt very powerful at all. I *think* there's a couple of others, though I'm of course not counting monsters with proc-chance type attacks, like Sickly Diggles and their chance to hit with a debuff on contact.

I wouldnt be surprised though if a few others got spells; it DOES seem to me like the number of ranged VS melee monsters is unusually low. Or, not just ranged, but monsters with activated abilities; doesnt have to be an actual bolt attack. that's just my view on it, I'm used to seeing more ranged/caster types in Roguelikes (comes from playing alot of obscure ones).

I'm still playing through the current, wonderfully updated version though, and I'm not gonna level any judgements at it until I've beaten Dredmor on DM again and seen all of the content and changes.

4. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

I haven't noticed more mobs casting, but I have noticed mobs casting more. I base everything on empirical evidence though. I don't really get kicks from crawling through code (unless I am writing it).

Floor seven took me by surprise the first time I reached it. Hah. Big blues murdered me.

5. Marak

Marak Member

Yeah, things are a bit different now when it comes to monsters lobbing stuff at you from afar:

Octos now deal 8 damage with their ranged whatever-it-is bolt, instead of 2.

Thermoblobbies hurl fire bolts that appear to be identical to the ones Lava Eelys use on you. On Level 4, they can deal 20-ish damage, which suddenly makes Blobbies your biggest priority. On the plus side, they don't use their fireball attack very often.

Both "Mask" monsters got nerfed down to a reasonable level. They deal about half as much Piercing damage as they used to and I'm guessing they got more Mage levels and lost some Fighter levels - their HP is more in line from what you'd expect from a caster-type monster. They don't revive other monsters as often, either.

Pumpkinns are still overpowered as hell, but at least they seem to be a bit rarer than before. They still do a ton of Piercing damage, have high HP, and love to spam that stupid Poison Cloud on you.

A fair number of monsters that previously did NOTHING got some much-needed buffs, as well. Carrot-type monsters had their damage tripled, so they can deal more than 2 damage to you: this is more in line with monsters you mainly find on floors 5-7. Mustache Golems dodge more and hit a bit harder. Blobbies got some minor buffs, either in the form of a special attack or just a bit more damage. Also, you can find Blue Demons on Floor 7 now - they're called Snow Baals. *groans at terrible pun*

6. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

Didn't thermoblobbies do that in 1.03, as well? Or am I misremembering?

Snow Baals. Hah. That's great. :D

7. Marak

Marak Member

I don't THINK they did... but even if they did, it didn't do 20 damage, like it does now. Gotta be careful of them things all of a sudden.

Also, I like the new, poison-based Djinn on Floor 10, makes that floor a little more interesting. Arch Diggles are still way overpowered vs. Melee though :( My Vamp Fencer almost got Arch Diggle Counter-pwned about 6 different times and I went through about 3 entire Bolt Vending Machines' worth of ammo slogging through them all from range. They have some ridiculous Health pools now...

Also, the new Nastier Dredmor is better, but you can still kill him with a couple of Clockwork Drill Bolts and then finish him up with whatever damage-over-time attacks you have - Fireballs, Poison/Brimstone Flasks, Squid Bolts, etc. The only thing he did in my latest playthrough that he didn't in 1.0.3 was to use Infernal Torus (I was 7 squares away, but it sure looked pretty) and creating Acid Pools at my feet, at which point I simply needed to take a single step away and continue pelting him with Bolts.

Oh well, it's still much better balanced now. Floors 9 and 10 got some serious difficulty love, which (for the most part), they needed. Floor 8 still feels like a breather for the most part, however.

8. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

Enraged Diggles now sometimes have the Monstrous Rage buff.

I don't know what it does as they still die afterwards.
    (Poor diggles.)

9. Yesterday evening, my character reached floor 7 and I saved right at the entrance. I've never been this far before and after reading through this thread, I'm scared lol :D
    Is floor 7 really that hard? I don't want my character to die since I play on permadeath (but "only" on dwarven moderation). Any tipps for me?
    My build:

Staves
    Alchemy
    Fungal Arts
    Archaelogy
    Blood Mage
    Magic Training
    Promethean Magic

10. GoingDead

GoingDead Member

well with that build it's probably important not to let any of the snow baals get more than 1 hit on you. Also make sure you kill Masks/Magic dragons before anything else. Other than that, just having that frost resist helm and careful play should get you through it. Or they'll cast two sight reduction spells and you'll be rolling a new character with burglary ;)

11. Marak

Marak Member

Things to be wary of on Floor 7:

Magic Dragons. They can Corrupt your weapons. Use ranged attacks or be damn sure you can kill them in one melee swing if at all possible.

The Monstous Masks are less dangerous than they used to be - they don't deal insane piercing damage now, and they have fewer HP - but they still need to die sooner rather than later because they can still Revive other monsters that you've already killed. Granted, they don't Revive as much as they did in 1.0.3, but it's still a pain in the butt.

Snow Baals (formerly Big Blues) are still very, very dangerous and can deal 25-ish Crushing Damage. Treat them like Magic Dragons: soften them up however you can before wading into melee.

Squiddies and the aforementioned Masks can use a Blinding attack that lowers your sight radius and can stack until you literally can't see anything that isn't you. Watch out for this - you can cleanse it with Purification Potions, or you can reduce the effect with Radiance Potions (or Radiant Aura if you have Astrology).