Why is this game so good?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Strawberry, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Strawberry

Strawberry Member

I think this is the only time I have ever created an account on the developer forums to praise them. But really, this game is worth more than it's price.

It has so much detail, amusing things in it, a lot of explore and quite the mockery to nethack and other roguelikes. I love how much love has been put into the sprite work and how it fits together, but anyhow. Gameplay wise there are only a few things that I found confusing;

I think mellow shrines and statues should be marked on the map, might make the game too easy though but there's the other thing. Once you reached like level 5 where mobs become extremely tough you often kite them around for a couple of turns, but here's the thing; There's no real reward for clearing a dungeon completely and enemies will keep spawning, so I was often stuck with fighting a mob and once I finished that one, another spawned right next to me, which kept going until I changed the floor. Sure it's good to keep the player involved into action, but if you want to fetch an item you left or do a quest it becomes very tiring if you have monsters constantly spawning next to you.

And a blatant bug is with Golemancy. You can animate 2 mustache golems, but if you keep casting it, it will teleport only the first golem. This means, if Golem 1 is stuck somewhere, you cannot spawn it anymore as you would only recast Golem 2. And honestly, the voice sounds should be a lot louder than the rest of the SFX.

Aside from that, I'm pretty much in love with this game.

2. Animation

Animation Member

It is a fun game. Kicking things to death and then drinling their blood is the bombdiggity.

3. negorath

negorath Member

Great game.

I've found one game breaking bug so far, and that's being able to place traps, pick them up again, rince and repeat for infinite exp.
    I haven't been able to replicate it consistently though, so I suspect there are some conditions that must be met, like, specific trap, and maybe a specific amount of skill points in trap finding.