Which summon is the best?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Skafsgaard, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Skafsgaard

Skafsgaard Member

I was wondering which summon is the best in the game?
    I suppose this can be determined rather objectively, according to factors such as health and damage potential.

I hear everyone liking the Wyrmling, but on the other hand the Robot from Golemancy is from a higher level spell.
    Which is better?

Thanks

2. DerpTyrant

DerpTyrant Member

I can't say, but people probably say Wyrmling is the best because it's under Prome tree which is just overpowered ;)
    But for me, any pet is good. Why? Because I use it as meat walls and lifesuckingwanabes for my vampirism.

3. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

Probably the wrymling/slime. Pet HP tends to be pretty high but as an offensive tool they fall short. Here is what makes a good pet:

1) In a skill tree that is already good
    2) Cheap cost
    3) Low hanging fruit skill wise

Post pyro nerf I'd say the 2 point wonder of slime. It fits into any build and it does it's job for no mana. You primarily want a pet to help you get through the first 3 dungeon levels where they are utterly overpowered. Later on you want them because enemies will always hit the pet before you. Right now wrymling is on the path to fireball but 3 points. Once you get him however, he will trivialize the first three dungeon levels. Fungal arts is arguably the strongest support line in the game and it's hard to beat a pet at level 2.

The higher level pets cost more and have higher stats. But since they are ineffective offensively, the higher cost makes them worse. Not to mention the other pets are in skill trees that offer little else to the player.

So yes, lowest damage lowest hp pet is the best because it's free, has a low cooldown, and is in a better tree. Until pets scale with a player stat, there isn't much they can do. A pet that's effective on dungeon lvl 10 could be rushed by a player still on dungeon lvl 1 and then carry them through the game.

4. Daiug

Daiug Member

For pure damage the best one is the second of Golemancy.
    He deal easily 27+ dmg. The thing is golemancy is meh, the only really usefull skill is the curse that can EASILY kill you :v

5. evouga

evouga Member

The walls are also great: instant chokepoint for monster zoos.

6. I like the moustache golem because it works wonders in the first 2 floors doing the dirty job for you, but on the long run I prefer the Wyrmling because it tanks zoos for you while you fireblast them to death, and if you take some mana regen you can re-summon him all the time, wich is like a free dwarven IED

7. Skafsgaard

Skafsgaard Member

Thanks for the input, guys! It was really helpful.

8. Xidus

Xidus Member

Mushroom Beast is pretty weak for being at the end of the fungal skill tree. Much weaker then the Wyrmling.

9. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

Here are the stats according to dredwiki.

Slime: Fighter 6, Rogue 3 Damage +0, Spells 4% mini toxic cloud, +2 armor
    Mustache: Fighter 7, Rogue 4, Damage +3, Spells 20% mustache root, +3 armor +10 hp
    Mortal Machine: Fighter 16, Damage +16, +10 armor and +10 to a bunch of resists
    Zomby: Fighter 7, Damage +3, +1 armor

There isn't a listing for the wyrmling but I'd assume it's probably less hp but more damage than mustache.

Anyway, you'll get some more damage out of the higher ones. But they are all more or less the same as meatshields (their only real use later on). They are beefy tanks till DL3 or so. And after that they will all fold like wet tissues. The marginal differences in stats and ineffectiveness as offensive tools means that the cheapest/lowest cooldown pets are the best.

I'm still saying the slime is the best pet. Pets are good for one simple reason. An enemy that can attack your pet will do so instead of attacking you. If you think a mortal machine with a god awful cost is going to be useful through out the game, you're wrong.

10. hafu78

hafu78 Member

i like the mushroom slimes because you can summon several of them at once, depending on your mushroom farming level. plus, admit it, its very fun to say the word mushroom slime.

11. Daiug

Daiug Member

As far i know you can have 1 summon at the time. The only way to have more (if they didn't fix them with 1.05) is just to summon>save and quit>load>summon again.

12. Daiug

Daiug Member

And when i say 1 summon, i mean ONE summon. One Mustache Golem/Slime, you can't have 1 of each

13. Darthcaboose

Darthcaboose Member

Right, but having the ability to summon different things on different cooldowns does play a bit into its effectiveness. Golemancy and Fungal Arts allows you to bring out one of two summons, Promethean's only get one!

14. Hahnsoo

Hahnsoo Member

The non-Fungal Arts summons cost MP and do not have cooldowns. Also, The Mortal Machine remains an effective tank until floor 8 or 9, because of its armor, health, and resists. I didn't find myself recasting it with a high frequency that caused me to drink booze or mana potions.

I commonly use the Mustache Golem for floors 1-3, and then The Mortal Machine for floors 4+.

15. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Yeah, I certainly don't find Golemancy "meh". It's turning out to be one of my favorite skills.

- Mustache is gainable very early, 2nd level, and it's awesome dungeon levels 1-3.
    - Walls and Thaumites. 'Nuff said.
    - Walls for moving unreachable items and traps.
    - The priceless ability to dig shortcuts and workarounds.

Best pet? Mustache Golems, hands down. It's more durable and has better dodge/counter than the Slime.