Where be the Cult Altars?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by theseeman, Sep 18, 2014.

1. theseeman

theseeman Member

I have been unable to produce any cult altars. Any tips on how to do this?

edit ran a game last night where clawbulbs were sacred. anyone who removed one was shot.

Not sure if the use of frontier justice kept the cults from forming but I had a colony that was feeding it self and only cult members and soldiers and cabbages and claw bulbs. I got at least one field full of claw bulbs.

Are the altars in the woods and I have to find them? Also where are the daggers? I made an arsenal in hopes I could build a dagger. Maybe in workshop?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  2. Unforked

Unforked Member

No cult alters here either, or even any murder acts.

I've also been hoping to see a REDACTED, but I have no clue how that might happen.

3. sockfoot

sockfoot Member

Day 40+ when it crashed. I had a cultist poet and lots of cultist farmers whispering about strange architectures from their dreams but no shrine or REDACTED. I couldn't find anything like an idol from exploring. My graveyards were full of bodies but nothing happened there. Nothing happened after eating fish people. I had Long Pork in my stockpile that a fishperson left behind and I even built a cabin in the woods with a bookshelf for my cultists to visit. :(

4. Narial

Narial Member

If you build it
    They will come? or maybe not. ;p

5. Samut

Samut Member

If you go through your console.txt file and search repeatedly for cults you'll see the name of each citizen when they join the cult, as well as a running tally of things like cult_power, shrine_power, and act_of_murder. How high are those values getting in your game?

6. sockfoot

sockfoot Member

shrine_power got to 92, cult_power to 342 and murder_act to 110.

Any idea what the scale is?

7. Samut

Samut Member

Jumping Maw of Quaggaroth! That's a lot.

You can check the exact specs in Jobs.xml, but Assemble Creepy Shrine requires power levels of 5, and The Act of Murder (melee weaponry) requires a cult_power and murder_act of 10, so that should have been no problem.

I'm not sure off hand why these jobs would never happen, although this entry in Assemble Creepy Shrine is odd:

<require_gameobject input="logs" range="50" tag="stone_masonry" failure_reason="Requires timber."/>

No idea why logs would be tagged as stone masonry. Gaslamp, could this be a typo?

As for getting their murder on, are you sure it never happened? Try searching your console.txt again for The Act of Murder - I'd be curious if it didn't get mentioned at all.

Thanks.

8. sockfoot

sockfoot Member

Maybe madness is more likely when the ground is soft with the gibs of our aquatic cousins.

Yeah, I don't understand either. "Murder" was mentioned in 3 ways - as a conversation topic, in testing cult murder during their secret gossip meetings and when murder_act is incremented.

I take it you similarly haven't witnessed a successful summoning of the great REDACTED, or even a shrine?

Hopefully this gets fixed in the next update... I'm not that bothered about the axe murder but I was very keen for creepy shrines.

9. Akuma

Akuma Member

It might be the threshold for cult activity has been raised too high. In previous builds a bit of cannibalism was all you needed to set people off their rocker and have the colony erupt into cult panic mode. In the current build I haven't been able to get that, even by introducing long pork into the diet.

10. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I had what was possibly my longest game ever, and deliberately did nothing to manage cults. I reached 50+ cultists and a bit past two in-game weeks before it crashed, and saw nothing aside from lots of cultist alerts and gossip. My last recorded total number of cultists was 17. Digging through my console.txt, the last cult-related entries read:

[Script] Starting gossip; name ==
    [Script] cultist gossip, testing Cult Membership,30
    [Script] cultist gossip, testing Occult,20
    [Script] cultist gossip, testing Unholy Geometry,30
    [Script] cultist gossip, testing Cult Murder,30
    [cults] murder_act now 59
    [cults] Cultist power now 218

My Colonists sure liked to gossip about murder, but The Act of Murder did not appear anywhere in the console.txt. Like sockfoot, I saw nothing Cult-ish beyond frequent gossip about cults, murder, and unholy geometries.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  11. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Oh boy. Okay, we're looking into this!

> No idea why logs would be tagged as stone masonry. Gaslamp, could this be a typo?

Naw, the first "logs" is setting up a variable searching for an object with the tag "stone_masonry". It doesn't read nicely as code, but it works just fine.

12. Vordrak

Vordrak Member

I love Clockwork Empires. Even the bug reports in this game are fabulously entertaining -

"The cult of the outer gods is bugged! They are not committing enough ritual sacrifices or summoning their unspeakable lords from beyond our normal, wholesome reality!"

13. theseeman

theseeman Member

So I need spare timber and stone blocks and and cannibalism? I can get a very small self sufficient colony going and just kill new comers. Ravenous. Should I harvest the clawbulbs or protect them?

14. Alephred

The 31a notes indicate that shrines can be constructed of either stone or wood.

15. mrclint

mrclint Member

I had them closely together. Not building anything unnecessary, and only farming.
    Around day 10 the chat bubbles about the cultists sky rocketed and the altars and axe murderers came to be.

16. sockfoot

sockfoot Member

Hooray altars are here!

And wow, I thought murder would happen one or two at a time, but those mass murderers are relentless.

17. theseeman

theseeman Member

If there is a snow Biome and ax murderers there I hope Jack Nicholson gets to play this game.

18. Alephred

Here are screenshots of various shrines in my latest session; (a) a guy I caught in the act. (b) that one is in the literal center of town. (c) this is what the stone shrines look like.

(a)
    shrine.jpg

(b)
    shrine2.jpg

(c)
    shrine3.jpg

19. theseeman

theseeman Member

Are there plans for the cult to do anything with the body? I was wondering if once they killed all the colonists would they make an abomination or something? Or drag the bodies to the shrines?

I have seen cult members killing other cult members but it might have been cut trees vs murder.

20. Akuma

Akuma Member

I think once they go a axing everyone's free game. But yeah it'd be interesting if they targeted non cultists and then performed horrible rites once the unbelievers were purged.