When you put the lutefisk in the cube...

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Loerwyn, Jul 14, 2012.

1. mining

mining Member

The Lutefisk Redundancy Department of Redundant Lutefisk Award

Marak likes this.
  2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

That would be awesome.

3. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

I dunno, we already have the Lake Woebegone Achievement, and really putting lutefisk into the cube is one of the first things anyone will do with the cube, especially once they realize that the cube's contents carry over when you save, effectively giving you a free, Lutefisk-only inventory slot.

Dunno about you guys, but I like the fact that Dredmor's achievements largely aren't acquired for doing easy, obvious things.

4. Wolg

Wolg Member

Considering how many there are for dying to monsters that appear in the first few floors?

Besides, isn't the criteria for inclusion of anything in Dredmor "amuses at least one Gaslamp guy"? :p

5. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

I thought the "died to a monster" achievements were all for Diggles, which hardly ever show up with more than one species per floor. Except that one about Thrusties instead but I think there might not be any diggles on the floor that Thrusties spawn on so it's kind of moot if that's the case.

And in any event it's really hard to make sure you die to one specific monster instead of the 4 or 5 other varieties that show up on each floor, or to a DoT effect, or to a health debuff, or...

6. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Not all for diggles. In addition to the death by thrusties, there's death by Brax, death by Dredmor, death by thaumites (Oh, god not the bees!) death by drowning, death by Nicholas, (this happens when the dungeon falls on you, also when your saves stop working... no achievement for the latter though) death by water fountain, and my personal favorite, death by breaking your foot against a stubborn door.

The Gaslamp crew thinks it's hilarious when you die, and encourages you to do it more often through achievements. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they implement more devious ways for us to die and achievements to accompany them.

Who thought of achievements for dying anyway? It's like disguising 'the stick' as 'the carrot' and getting complimented by 'the mule' while it chokes to death.

This is evil genius at it's best ladies and gentlemen. :cool:

Kazeto likes this.
  7. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I think the achievements for dying was a natural evolution from the roguelike style. They're games where you die a lot, and in order to soften the blow it seems like Gaslamp have realised that death is a near-certainty and as such have tried to make light of it with the achievement system.

banjo2E, Kazeto, Marak and 1 other person like this.
  8. Frelus

Frelus Member

Um, when the dungeon falls on you?
    Has this got anything to do with the digging ray skill?

9. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I honestly can't remember what triggers it, but it's nothing to do with that skill.

10. Warlock

Warlock Member

You get this when the save game crashes and you can't reload it again. Suddenly, the Dungeon collapses! Thank you for participating in our voluntary quality assurance program.

Edit: oops.I stand corrected. :rolleyes:

11. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

No, it's just whenever the game crashes, not when your save file dies.