When RNG spits in your face

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by wtsai, Sep 14, 2011.

1. wtsai

wtsai Member

So my most recent character had wand lore maxed early. With the skill most wands would use up only 5 entropy every cast , and I was also able to reset any wand I find to 0 entropy. I planned to abuse this thoroughly if it weren't for the fact MY WANDS KEEP FIZZLING OUT AT 5 ENTROPY. Every shiny new wand I found gave me newfound hope that just maybe things will be different this time, and every single time that hope was crushed after two measly casts. After the 5th time I was about to ragedelete my character but a voice of reason convinced me not to. Now my character is doing fine with his other skills but I'm still bitter about my terrible luck with wands. Please share your own experiences so I can feel better about myself.

2. Derakon

Derakon Member

Yeah, wand affinity seems to be not so useful -- even with only 5 entropy per use you can't rely on a wand to be there when you need it. Right now wand lore seems mostly useful for occasional shots -- recharge the wand down to 0 each time you use it. At least with that they won't ever burn out.

It might be interesting to give Wand Lore a buff spell later in the tree that reduces entropy buildup to zero for a limited time (or a fixed number of uses). Basically "Okay, you've invested several skillpoints in this tree, so clearly wands are important to you."

3. competentfake

competentfake Member

Only wands I keep are Stony, Coral, Zodiacal and Tentacular. Tesla's okay, but not great, Handy is handy if you have no pushback or snare spells, Arcane, Fiery, Rock and Laser are meh, I've used them to save my ass at early levels when I was out of tricks, but past Floor 3 they're not very effective. I get more from vendoring Bling than I would by using it, and Bony is just, "Yay, a Zomby! Aww, he got one-shotted..."

Wand Lore is great for healing/debuffing in between rooms, and the Tentacular Wand is an elite-killer (unless you have Necro, in which case you can do it yourself). You can use Stony Wands to great effect to knock items off of islands and create choke-points, but in a combat situation it'll probably burn out before you've created your wall (also made redundant by Golemancy). As the damaging factor of the DPS wands are based on Magic Power, they might be more useful to a caster, but why set one square on fire when you can kill the whole room with higher-tier spells?

A few of the wands seem to duplicate utility powers from other skill trees (Tesla=Power of Magic Steel, Stony=Unliving Wall, Tentacular=Eldritch Inhabitation, etc), and that's a great niche for them to fill. I'd like to see a Psionic Healing Crystal wand, a Meatshield wand (if its fixed), a Blinding Flash wand, maybe even a Zenzizenzizenzic or Mark of Cthon or Syzygy wand. Eh, maybe then Wand Lore would be the new OP skill. Just a thought. <3~Fake

Edit***: Right after I posted this, I was boxed in by an elite and his six cronies, I ran out of tricks and MP, and killed the leader with a Fiery Wand, which gave me enough mana for a Pact, with which I spanked the rest of them, ending at full health and half mana. So I'll just go put my foot in my mouth. >.<

4. 123stw

123stw Member

Wand lore is one of those "great to have, but pointless to level" skill, kinna like astrology. Since lowering the burnout rate does not mean you can afford using the same wand multiple times (unless you got backups) , there are no point of leveling wand lore at all.

5. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Well, one reason is Wand Hack (the wand transmogrification skill).

Not really worth 2 points, but it depends on the build. For example, I once had Alchemy 3, Wand Lore 3 and Smithing 5 which gave me easy access to every ingredient for the Flail of Pleiades. Ended up with 10 Flails with various bonuses (some providing resistances that I swapped out as needed).

6. kuhchung

kuhchung Member

I was sad to see the BoMD recipe changed for 1.0.5 to use a fiery wand. It's fair... just sad. I used to crank them out like mad. Now I can craft maybe one or two per game.

It also gives you a tiny bit of incentive to level up to that skill in wand lore. A good balance, I think.

7. Derakon

Derakon Member

BoMD is really pretty disappointing. Its ability to tear down the dungeon is nifty, but it doesn't seem to do all that much damage; certainly squidbolts are better for actually dealing damage. Maybe the BoMD should lay down a radiation field or something?

Debuff: Radiation Sickness (10 turns, stack up to 4 times). 1 righteous damage/round. Someone forgot to wear their hazmat suit on this dungeon crawl! Icon could be Mr. Eyebrows in Gordon Freeman's environment suit.

8. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Yeah, BoMD are quite underwhelming. I pick and use Bolts of Squid with much more excitement.

But that said, what is the measly human capacity for harnessing nuclear power, when compared to the the unfathomable power of the eldritch, tentacled gods which inhabit the void that binds the woldspheres together? Ia, Ia, Ia! Cthugha Ftaghn!

Marak likes this.
  9. Marak

Marak Member

Maybe it's not spitting in my face, but I had to chuckle when the RNG threw this one at me:

Valchooie, The Word of Legs

This uncomfortable (and rusty) square iron ring is made for beings more angular than yourself. Possibly robots. It is studded with cracked frozen sunlight.

Gotta say, that's quite the trick.

10. kuhchung

kuhchung Member

I used squid bolts on zoos and BoMD's on random clustered enemies and Dredmor. It was satisfying, at least!

11. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

12. bleh..

bleh.. Member

what about maxing out alchemy on first floor and not finding ANY hefty stick until floor 3?

13. kuhchung

kuhchung Member

According to the wiki, you can smith a bo staff into a hefty stick at smithing level 0.

14. jhffmn

jhffmn Member

You know what might be cool, if you could craft a new wand using a burnt wand and a gemstone/potion.

Arcane = Saphire
    Bony = ?
    Coral = Amber
    Firey = Ruby
    Handy = ?
    Rock = ?
    Stony = Emerald
    Tentacular = Black Pearl
    Bling = Solution of Gold
    Tesla = Voltaic Potion
    Lazer = Diamond
    Zodiak = Pyrite Sun

But that would give some incentive to have a wand/alchemist character.

Psiweapon likes this.
  15. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Pak = as in Pak Protectors?
    Chooie = as in Chewbacca??

Did I get you right or am I making everything up????

16. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Ooh! That's the very first Larry Niven/Known Space reference I've seen in decades. People just don't read the classics anymore...:(

17. LonePaladin

LonePaladin Member

Did you follow the link? It asks the hard questions, like "Are there stairs in your house?"

Seriously, though, if you haven't seen the video there, you missed one of the earliest Internet memes.

18. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

Link? What link???

Oh, rite. Links are brown here.

19. Psiweapon

Psiweapon Member

thoroughly alienating.

20. Eadeve

Eadeve Member

You obviously don't know how amazing astrology is coupled with a robot of love.