When do you build your first farm?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Mikel, Jan 13, 2016.

?

When do you build your first farm?

1. Before the sun sets for the first time on my new colony.

11 vote(s)
    78.6%
  2. After the completion of kitchen.

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. After receiving the first additional supervisor.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. After receiving the first batch of extra lower-class workers.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Mikel

Mikel Waiting On Paperwork From The Ministry. Forever.

The options I've listed are roughly in chronological order, although I've seen the last two transposed in games... In any case, I tend to want both the supervisor and the extra workers to staff his work crew.

2. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Not for a while. And even then, it's only for flax.

3. Mikel

No food shortage problems? I think I am too paranoid to wait that long...of course, when I do flax is possibly much different than when you choose to do so.

4. Kaidelong

Kaidelong Member

A 4x4 patch of chillies early on gets an overseer trained up to be an inept farmer pretty quickly. You can then assign that overseer somewhere else, and train a new one

EDIT: not 9x9, derp

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  5. Rentahamster

Rentahamster Member

Nope. It's even less important now with more abundant foraging, and food drops.

6. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

I usually make it before unpausing the game, and assign the two man crew. 2 or 3 guys farming Maize on a 9x9 plot + a kitchen can easily feed 15 - 20 people.

mailersmate likes this.
  7. Mikel

Ever since they eliminated the food multipliers I've felt that I can't get in front of my food consumption. It is mostly perception, I am sure, but without clicking on every colonist to check hunger levels, the only way I feel comfortable was when I can stockpile at least a day's worth of excess food.

8. Unforked

Unforked Member

I just can't bring myself to use foreign office exploits. It seems... dirty.

Mikel likes this.
  9. advkow

advkow Member

Right now you gotta build it ASAP. They have said they are working on balance for the harsh creation of food, but until then you better farm as soon as you land.

10. Mikel

I kind of share your feelings. And I expect them to change that mechanic eventually, so I'd rather not become dependent on it,

11. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I build my first farm right after I've started construction on the Carpentry and Kitchen, and I make it a big maize field (and by big, I mean 14x14). Then, the first 4 new immigrants get assigned to the farm crew, and I have no food problems until I get around 30 colonists.

12. Alavaria

Alavaria Member

Very start, maxed out size. And I start farming immediately and just keep ramping it up as I go.

Switching to all-wheat does turn your stockpile into bread paradise though.

13. Kamisma

Kamisma Member

Speaking of wheat, is the Publican usable now ? Usually all my wheat production goes to alcohol, but i dont build a publican by fear he get stuck and ruin my game