What's Your best Uberchest item?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by TheKirkUnited, Apr 25, 2012.

1. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

I'm used to getting pretty lackluster items from Uberchests. So imagine my amazement when this beauty popped up.

Noglechnu.png

Amazing damage and 3 mana regen on my caster character. I couldn't ask for much better.

I'm curious to see other incredible Uber drops. Also I have to wonder if my sudden good luck is another side effect of the new patch or just another interesting item to be chalked up to overall RNG.

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I, what?

Is that righteous damage on a random drop? ~makes a weird face~
    Well, it's a nice drop for you, and good luck facing Dredmor with that.

3. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

Wow is that a random drop with righteous damage AND +3 Mana regen? Damn...

4. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Actually, in my experience, Righteous damage is fairly common for me from Uberchests, Kazeto.
    I got a Golden Crossbow once with 20 Righteous damage on it. :) Dredmor didn't like being smited by that. :)
    Also, considering that's one of Dredmor's only "Weaknesses." any huge righteous damage boost will make him a lot easier.

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Just kill me...
    I never got anything that would have bonus righteous damage from Uberchests.

But thanks, it's nice to know that the game is trying to cheat me.

6. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

<Me Kills Kazeto>
    Okay. :)
    Seriously, I just could be really really lucky.
    But I do get it often. Not 100% of the time, but you know, it happens more so on later levels. That and :dmg_aethereal: damage.

Kazeto likes this.
  7. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

First time I've found an item with that much righteous damage on it and as a side note it DID work quite well on Dredmor. A sight better than my spells anyway. That guy is a total beast now. Though I did find out a rather hilarious weakness.

8. Wootah

Wootah Member

I can second never getting righteous damage on an uber chest item.

9. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Interesting enough, in between some of the patch 1.10 revisions, they made Dredmor even stronger than he is now, then they fixed him.
    Haven't faced him yet, but I always seem to have a plan when I run into him.
    And yeah, I can imagine Righteous being rare. It's just that it has spawned often for me before. Not like 99% of the time or anything, but it has spawned often.

10. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

On the whole "uberchest" note, does anyone else here feel that they are really pretty damn rare? I think I only ever saw 3-4 chests and I have 150-ish hours of playtime with several Dredmor kills in the bag

11. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

On that note, I JUST FOUND A NEW UBER CHEST! YAY!

Edit: And ... it was a traffic cone +1 :dodge: and +1 :sneakiness: :(

12. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

If you play on NTTG you won't see them very frequently. They are much more prevalent on the normal mode, sometimes with as many as 3 or 4 popping up on a single floor.

13. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

Maybe I should stop playing on NTTG then - I am just too damn lazy to run through that many rooms unfortunately

14. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Yeah, playing without NTTG takes forever. I usually play with it on myself, but you do get a ton more loot with it off. You know... if that's your thing.

15. r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom Will Mod for Digglebucks

A future Interior Dredmorating spin-off mini-mod will be custom-designed for the express purpose of fixing NTTG item issues. More rooms that specifically offer graters and lutefisk cubes. Rooms with extra reagent spawns. Additional CoEs. More inconsequentia and krong shrines. Possibly a ham-fisted attempt at a bag of holding. Don't think I can force an uberchest spawn, but it should catch most of the other things you don't see enough of in NTTG. Soon, gentlemen, soon it will be Yes Time To Grind.

And yep, I realize there's nothing to stop people from using it without NTTG on, just to increase loot spawns and make the game easier. Nothing to stop that except perhaps the Diggle God of Hidden Shame.

SELF-PROMOTION WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that abuse of self-promotion may be hazardous to other people's patience.

16. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

I may be a bit crazy but I actually found the lack items to be part of NTTG's appeal. I progress so much more quickly that most of what I find is made irrelevant fairly quickly, though occasionally I do find a Shining Item of Hope! (tm) which I keep for the rest of the game, but since there is so much less loot, I found the Lutefisk cube to be largely useless. The grinder on the other hand can still be found fairly reliably in crafting dispensers.

Honestly, I've never had much patience for Fisking anyway. I don't think I've ever gotten a reward that I felt measured up to the amount of patience/inventory management that it required.

Marak likes this.
  17. r_b_bergstrom

More power to you! If you like NTTG as it is, no need to use the mod. It'll be packaged separate from ID, so there's nothing forcing you to use it, even if you're using my other stuff.

Personally, I've found NTTG kinda frustrating. I love that the game is shorter and the feeling of accomplishment at finishing a level comes more often, because sometimes I don't have the energy or free time that the full game demands.

But it miffs me a little that crafting is all-but impossible in NTTG. Crafting by it's very nature increases down-time. In theory, crafting + NTTG should be a middle-ground time compromise. Problem is, with 50% less treasure, you just can't rely on getting the ingots and reagents needed for crafting.

Likewise, Archery and Thrown Weapons builds are really impaired in NTTG, because you get half as many bolts, half as many ingots, and half as much zorkmids with which to raid the half as many vending machines.

I've also had several runs where the RNG never gives me a Cube or Grater. The grater is the larger impact, since it means only deep instead of cheesy omelets (and you don't have enough eggs for very many deep o's) and further impairs crafting efforts. But the lack of the cube means you have to change your auto-loot settings, or else you end up swimming in junk.

18. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Ah, I see. I've never messed with the auto loot settings. Hand picked loot only! please/thank you. I've beaten NTTG on GRPD with a crafter/melee character and while there certainly are far fewer bolts and throwing items to be found in the game I felt that the extra inventory space was rather refreshing. It also forced me to rely on my crafting skills even more for ammunition than I would normally. It was on this run that a discovered the wonders of smithing throwing items! I find that I wind up with a mess of iron, even on NTTG. Though your iron needs may vary depending on your crafting skills. I was running, tinkering and smithing in tandem. But again, I'm a bit of masochist so to each his own.

Edit: The picture in the OP is a caster running GRPD and NOT NTTD. I wanted to get one normal run under my belt before I really started modding it up.

19. r_b_bergstrom

Wow. I literally abandoned and deleted an archer-tinker character I was running in NTTG because I kept running out of bolts and food less than half way through each zoo. Weird. I must be getting massive RNG screw.

What difficulty setting are you playing on? The character I abandoned was on Going Rogue. If you say "Elvish Easy" you'll make my day (no development time down the drain), but given that you describe yourself as a masochist it seems unlikely.

20. TheKirkUnited

TheKirkUnited Member

Going Rogue with Permadeath. Bulwark wasn't based around ranged as a means of survival though, he just sort of evolved into that as I got deeper into the dungeon, as he simply couldn't keep up with melee alone, especially versus monstrous casters. I believe I mentioned the character once before in the "It isn't easy being melee" thread, but the idea behind the build was to have completely absurd amounts of armor as his name implies. At which it succeeded all too well, resistances proved harder to acquire than AA and block however, hence my later reliance on ranged weaponry.

Bulwark's skills were: Unarmed, Mastery of Arms, Shield Bearer, Smithing, Tinkering, Burglary, and Assassination.

Between his crazy high armor score, unarmed knock back skills, and stun procs from Assassination he could, and did tank whole zoos without batting an eyelash. Until the lower floors when monsters start doing absurd amounts of strange exotic damages and named monsters start to threaten one shot critical hits, again with exotic damages. My melee damage on thrown weapons plus Move in Mysterious Ways and invisibility (from Ninja Vanish and the occasional potion) are what really kept me alive on the lowest floors.