What's up with the silly sounds?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Emetivore, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Emetivore

Emetivore Member

This game is amazingly fantastic, but one thing that I find lackluster is the sound. In particular, the squeaky dogtoy sound that the slimes make (and others, like plate mail golems) is simultaneously annoying and innapropriate. Slime doesn't sound like that. Suits of armor DEFINITELY don't sound like that. After playing Dredmor for 2 days straight (yes, I completely love it) I came to the conclusion that I just had to say something.

So, I guess I wanted to say:
    a. Devs, have you considered improving the sounds in this (excellent, mature, sophisticated) game so that they don't seem like they're made for 5-year olds?
    b. Is there a way to mod the sounds for this game so that they are more... serious?

Thanks!

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I'm not a dev so I can't answer a but b: yes it indeed is possible. You can find all the sounds in the sfx folder.

3. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

While I think there was some talk of doing a little touch-up on some of the monster sounds, we're pretty happy with them in general.

That said: how do *you* know what a Blobby sounds like? I always pictured them being rather like the Slimes from Dragon Quest, on which they are kind of based a little.

Wi§p likes this.
  4. I modified the "small creature" sounds a bit, since they were identical to diggles. Reducing the quantity of squeals and shrieks you're subjected to helps a lot - it's okay for Diggles to be annoying, because if only diggles are doing it, it's mildly iconic or endearing.

5. Glazed

Glazed Member

Do you mind sharing what you have?

6. Download the zip from here: http://community.gaslampgames.com/threads/diggle-voices-nightmare-fuel.2331/

Open up C:\Program Files (x86)\Dungeons of Dredmor\sfx\ (or its equivalent on a different OS) as well as C:\Program Files (x86)\Dungeons of Dredmor\sfx\diggle\

Replace diggle_attack.wav, diggle_cast.wav, diggle_damage.wav, diggle_die.wav, small critter - attack noise.wav, and small critter - hit noise.wav with the files from the zip.

7. Emetivore

Emetivore Member

Ha! You have a good point, Dev ;).

The only reason I found it so annoying was that I took Fungal Arts and used the small pet up until level 9 or so, and as a Vegan I spent an awful lot of time letting him hit everything so it was SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK constantly.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

8. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

I honestly didn't play with sound at all for a long, long time...and then I turned it back off again. DoD plays better to a Ludacris-and-The Lonely-Island soundtrack regardless. ;)

9. Marak

Marak Member

That's funny because I do the opposite - I typically nuke the music and fire up Winamp, while leaving the sounds loud enough to hear. While SFX might not be vital to gameplay, I do use them as backup for when I get lazy or complacent and start skimming over visual cues.

And of course, what game of DoD would be complete without Announcer Guy cheering you on? Not hearing YOUR INVENTORY IS FULL and YOU NEED MOAR MANA; DRINK MOAR BOOZE and HEROIC VANDALISM would just leave me feeling empty inside. You know?

Wi§p and Kazeto like this.
  10. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

The announcer has always been super duper quiet for me. Like almost inaudible unless everything is turned up high (and then that makes squeaks and the music really loud). Does anyone else have that issue?

11. Emetivore

Emetivore Member

Hey Horsemeat, thanks a ton for the link to those wavs. I replaced the whole group and like it much better. And, whaddaya know, it DOES make those Diggles more endearing ;).

Yar!

12. blob

blob Member

Same for me. I love the announcer guy but the constant high pitched squeaking just makes my ears bleed. ( sorry Nicholas, I really believe the monster sounds in DoD need more variety, if only the diggles were making that one noise and if the volume of it was reduced it'd be survivable )

Loswaith, kino5 and Wi§p like this.