What's up with the crooked gabions?

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Alephred, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

crooked.jpg
    I haven't even begun to build my booze facilities yet. I hope this is intentional, because it helps break up the square-ness of my buildings.

zetjester likes this.
  2. Samut

Samut Member

Weird. Remember when cult shrines were supposed to be randomly rotated but they weren't? I wonder if Gabions are pulling that behavior somehow.

zetjester likes this.
  3. Stuthulhu

Stuthulhu Member

"Oh yes, we contracted with Elmer Steamwhistle to draw up these gabions."
    "Oh Elmer! Doesn't he run The Insalubrious Gibbering Horror down the way?"
    "Why yes he does."
    "Well he hangs a mean windowframe. If anyone knows how to keep out cultists, I'm going to put my stock in a builder like him!"

zetjester likes this.
  4. dbaumgart

dbaumgart Art Director Staff Member

Hah, yes! ... some people hate the random rotation of gabions. I think it's great because these are meant to be makeshift fortifications.

(If I were to pull it back, it'd be to within ~20 degrees of the cardinal directions to give *some* jitter to their placement.)

5. Stuthulhu

Stuthulhu Member

I like it. When you're putting up your defenses hastily, you're not going to have nice shiny straight walls. Even better if there's a more advanced superior fortification which actually *does* show clean lines and the what, to more clearly illuminate the difference.

You might be able to more clearly illustrate the makeshift nature by having a few slightly different 'images' associated with a finished gabion, so it actually looks cobbled together on the fly rather than regular but randomly rotated objects, but I don't know if that's more work than it's worth.

6. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I happen to like the random rotation.

7. The_Fool76

The_Fool76 Member

It might be interesting to make the magnitude of randomness dependent on the state of mind of the person who constructs it. The lower their moral, the more randomized (slapped together) the construction is. So a well maintained colony with everyone in good spirits might have neat ordered defensive structures while one that's well on it's way to summoning [REDACTED] would have chaotic randomly rotated ones. (Provided they built the structures after everyone started to gibber and wibble.)