Whats a good mage build?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Siveria, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Siveria

Siveria Member

What is a good mage build. I want it to have Promethian Magic, ley walker, and magic training but what else to get? I was thinking of alchemy, and maybe dual weild so I can dual weild staffs, So thats 5/7.

I was gonna go with Alchemy, Promethian Magic, magic training, ley walker, burglury, dual weild, and well something open for suggestions.

2. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

Must haves:

1. Blood Magic​
    2. Ley Walker​
    3. Magic Training​
    4. Alchemy​

Highly recommended utility:

5. Mathemagic (Teleports)​
    6. Golemancy (Summon Walls) or Astrology/Perception (Sight Range)​

That leaves you with one last point for your main spell skill. You don't need dual wielding unless you plan on swinging those staves (this will get you killed).

edit: To be clear, you don't really need all of the must-haves. Take them all if you want to be a pure mage but don't be afraid to drop one for something like Archaeology.

3. Siveria

Siveria Member

I'd prob go with perception, or even tinkering just for anti-trap stuff. Probally perception since there isin't really anything in tinkering i'd make much use out of as a mage.

4. lightmartyr

lightmartyr Member

I'm currently playing with;
    1. Promethean
    2. Necro
    3. Psionics
    4. Ley Walker
    5. Magic Training
    6. Blood Mage
    7. Burglary
    Not sure why I took necro, I never use it. Hmm. Well, anyway, Promethean gives you your bread and butter offensive magic, and a tank/distraction and psionics provides you with a good pushback, stun, mind control and a nice heal.
    I use psionics alot, it's very helpful and between Ley Walker/Magic Training/Blood Mage I have to try very hard to ever run out of mana. Burglary was mostly to ensure that I always had picks and a teleport. I have all this booze and food stocked but don't use it very much.

5. TheRani

TheRani Member

I've got a Psionics, Emomancy, Astrology, Blood Mage, Magic Training, Ley Walker, Burglar. I'm doing pretty well so far. Psionics and Emomancy are both really good. My Chemical Explosion and Shove are fantastic for zoos. Chemical Explosion, Shove Shove Shove (push them back onto the acid!) Chemical Explosion, Shove Shove Shove..

Essence likes this.
  6. Crazylemon64

Crazylemon64 Member

Psionics really helps, with its nerve staple and shove. Nerve staple combined with the Promethean tactical pyre allows you to paralyze enemies, then set the pyre under them. With the new update allowing for damage occurring each tick on a damaging tile, such as said pyre. Even at floor 7, most monsters collapse quite easily to this devastating combination, and for mobs of monsters too close for that strategy, you can shove them back until you have enough of a cushion of space. The shove also lets you quickly access the island treasures, and move traps you can't safely disarm out of the way. To fuel all the pyres and staples you're going to be flinging, you should also take blood magic, as the mana gained from each kill, courtesy of BM, will usually be enough to charge you back up. In case you take heavy knocks from an enemy that managed to slip through your net of fire and death, Psionics has crystal healing. While this isn't very useful during combat, when you are low in health during a period of rest or have accidentally stepped on a trap, it can reduce a great amount of pressure placed on your hit points.