What weapons skills fit what sort of archetype best?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by legowarrior, Aug 5, 2012.

1. legowarrior

legowarrior Member

So, some are easy.

Magic Users - Staff - they boost magic power
    Stealth/Rogue - Dagger
    Smithy - Thrown
    Tinkering - Archery

But what about axe, maces and swords?

2. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Axes are some of the best weapons for straight damage, and high :crit: from the tree is awesome if you intend to do mostly melee attacks. So I would say:

Melee-focused build : Axes

Unarmed gives some nice defenses, at the cost of lower melee damage eventually. Being able to use two shields is also a subtle buff to defense. So I think:

Tank builds : Unarmed

Sword items have pretty high damage, but the sword tree itself gives less damage than other trees - but it gives a ton of :counter:, especially when you dual-wield! Dual-wielding swords is one of the most exciting builds in the game, IMHO. So:

Counter-Attack (swashbuckling, rogue/warrior hybrids) : Swords

What are maces best at? The have good knockback, but not as good as Unarmed. They deal damage, but not as much as axes. The only real advantage Maces have over other weapons (off the top of my head) is that they have some really good easy-to-craft recipes at lowish levels. Maces also shares the best AoE template with Staff weapons... so it's just pretty middle-of-the-road.

3. Giygas

Giygas Member

^^^ Maces get Pedantic Beating which I believe does a lot of damage.

Personally, the two new ones are superior to everything IMO. Polearms give a ton of :melee_power: which is great for warriors who want to throw stuff, as well as lots of range (which warriors don't have much of) and easily-craftable polearms. Daggers, while short in supply, have good stances (+25 :crit:/:sneakiness: anyone?), a really good proc that scales off of :sneakiness: which the tree gives lots of, and mana-free thaumites (although since you probably aren't a mage you won't get their full effect). Not to mention that 45 :dmg_piercing: dagger.

So, in general:

Warrior: Polearms
    Rogue: Knives/Swords (swords for :counter:)
    Mage: Shields (log)/Staves

4. Createx

Createx Member

Dual-Wielding Polearms gives you 10:melee_power: pretty soon, which is pretty good. In combination with smithing, they probably are the best when it comes to raw damage output right now, especially when you consider the Victory Stance. Works best for a Juggernaut-Type. That means for me to just waltz through everything with high defenses and resistances :)
    So, if you just want to stomp everything to death, use polearms.

5. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Staves are good for ranged characters in general, so not only mages but also ranged rogues and (somewhat) warriors.

6. Tirien66

Tirien66 Member

Polearm + Shield + swiss defense stance. To offset that :melee_power: loss, use geology's first skill. My block, at level 5, was over 65. Barely get hurt at all in melee.

7. What would you do for this build other than Swords/Dual-Wielding/Piracy and presumably Archeology?

8. legowarrior

legowarrior Member

I'm running with a Clockworkknight, and I figured that with Crossbows as my mean damage dealer, maces are good for knocking back enemies.

9. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I totally agree that Pole Arms are great for melee. Even with VERY low-tiered weapons dual-wielded, and fully skilled in Pole Arms, I was kicking major butt. You cannot underestimate the importance of the skill's AE and ranged attacks, as well as the stats. Oh, and it has knock-back as well.

10. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

The key is to maximize Nimbleness and Caddishness. So Rogue-archetype skills as much as possible!

Swords, Dual-Wield, Burglary, Archeology, Piracy, Big Game Hunter are the core skills. Burglary, Archeology, and BGH will give you MASSIVE XP boosts, which get you up to level 12 or so ASAP - when your :counter: will finally get high enough to let you kick ass. One problem (not a huge problem but...) is that Dodge chance comes before counter-chance, so too much :dodge: will actually reduce your damage output. Consider Magnatronic Plate eventually...

For the last skill you have several good options. Killer Vegan is classic, Tourist or Demonologist would also work well. Rogue Scientist might be a nice option as well - though you can't really afford to put many points into it for a good while. Berserk gives good :armor_asorb:, which you will generally be lacking with this build.

11. legowarrior

legowarrior Member

So, when going clockwork, what is the best weapon skill to equip?

12. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Personally I'd say axes, but that depends on the person you are asking.

Doc Gelegentlich likes this.
  13. Wouldn't Vegan negatively interact with Big Game Hunter? Unless you carry around a crossbow to kill animals. I'd like to try Tourist out. How would you skill this (skilling order) for Tourist?

14. Mr_Strange

Mr_Strange Member

Vegan doesn't really interact badly with BGH at all. 80% of the reason you take BGH is for the +16 experience on animal kills. Vegans still kill animals - they just do it at range, or when they can afford to live with massive debuffs for a while. Tourist is a generalist skill - a bit of regen, vision, escape, money... But you already get most of that from Burglary.

I'd order them based on what you fear most. Do you think Ninja Vanish, Move in Mysterious Ways, and Mists of Corsair might not be enough escape options? Go for Tourist. Do you want to have enough Block to reduce damage further? Demonologist. Do you need more damage? Berserk or Vegan.

15. Turbo164

Turbo164 Member

Does Berserk's Killing Blow still last until you actually *attack* attack? Because people used to use that to guarantee all of their Counters were crits (and with +5:melee_power:). Duel Swords + Piracy + Rings of Iron Thorns + Killing Blow + space bar so you don't lose the buff :p

16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I'd say Maces have a survivability aspect (knockbacks, AoE attacks) and a utility aspect (largely the AoE attack which can move/destroy walls, altars, etc) that neither swords nor axes have. I stick with them because of that, though I think in terms of choices both maces and axes pale in comparison to swords.

17. Aegho

Aegho Member

The thing with axes and clockwork knight is based on a single weapon: Clockwork ravager. It can proc clockwork threshing(which is a proc that clockwork knight also has), dual wielding a pair of them, with clockwork knight and you've got 3 chances for any attack to proc another attack.

If you want maximum silly attack stacking, you're going to need multiple weapon skills though: clockwork knight, axes, polearms, daggers, unarmed. (Axes is optional... but you'll be wielding axes). Threshing x3, extra dagger, victory stance, nice combo.