What Torrent Client do you use?

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by OmniaNigrum, Jun 15, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I have been using µTorrent for years. But recently I made the torrent to share the new DLC with non-Steam users and I decided to check for an update to the client. I discovered that µTorrent is now non-free. Sure there is a free version, but they were bought out years ago and now are trying to cram new features and garbage better handled by other stand-alone products than this.

They want $25 for the non-free version. I never use a program once they turn it into trial-ware or a limited free version. The temptation to nag you and sell you out is too high once they cross that line.

So what Torrent client do you use? I am a Windows user. But this thread is open to those using Mac and Linux systems too. I really only care about free clients. Thank you in advance.

2. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

I just use some random version of µTorrent. I don't really care about them now having both paid and free versions as I seldom download anything.

In the past I used something called "Azureus", but some time before it changed into "Vuse", they started adding a lot of crap that was really unnecessary and only ate memory, and so annoyed I downloaded the lightest Torrent client I could find. Which is µTorrent, and I doubt I'll stop using it until it becomes non-free in its entirety.

OmniNegro likes this.
  3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I just found a good one. qBittorrent

It is open sourced and freeware. It is hosted on sourceforge.net as well.

I started getting suspicious of µTorrent after the size of the installer jumped from ~300KB to over 600KB in one update that changed almost nothing. Now I will not touch it anymore. Oh well.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Preemptive comment, this thread is fine as long as we only discuss torrent software/protocol, which is not illegal.
    I've heard good things about Frostwire.
    It's open source and maintained by the community.

OmniNegro likes this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Pardon me Daynab, but I am unaware of *ANY* torrent client that is illegal.

I think we are safe from pirates coming in to discuss where to find their soon-to-be-stolen software and media.

6. Daynab

That's... exactly what I said? That we were free to discuss torrent clients?
    Just said that in case someone gets the wrong idea.

edit: oh, I was missing a comma there. Don't blame you for misunderstanding me :)

OmniNegro likes this.
  7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Lol. That comma makes your post look very different. I revoke my objection. :)

8. onesandzeroes

onesandzeroes Member

I use Transmission. Simple as hell, and I don't need any particularly advanced features. Unfortunately it only seems to be on Linux and Mac.

It's really disappointing what's happened to uTorrent. I was installing it for someone a few weeks ago, saw all the adware it asked you to install (it was optional, but still), and promptly cancelled the install. I've since set a couple of Windows users up with Deluge and Tribler, both of which are open source. Tribler apparently has the ability to perform searches within the torrent client itself, so you don't need to depend on any external trackers, but it doesn't seem to work all that amazingly.

SkyMuffin and OmniNegro like this.
  9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Yeah. µTorrent was once the best client for a no-hassles Windows client. But now there are little nags and adware and I would not be the least bit surprised if it is also spyware at this point. I just uninstalled the version I had. I rarely use torrents anyway, but with the DLC being seeded, I figured I should check to have the newest version. I am now setting up qBittorrent to do that and everything else I do with torrents. Not that it is much.

Frostwire and Deluge are on my bookmarks in case I have any issues I cannot resolve with qBittorrent.

10. Daynab

Oh yes, I can second Deluge. It works great. It's what they package in most Linux distros I've tried, too.

OmniNegro likes this.
  11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

One really nice thing about Deluge is that they seem to keep up to date blocklists on hand for you.
    http://download.deluge-torrent.org/blocklist/

That is just a nice touch. I use a blocklist manager of my own but it is nice to see that even if I did not, I could just grab theirs. :)

*Edit* Also I note that Deluge lists "µTorrent DHT" as a supported feature. Sad that µTorrent strikes again by having a unique DHT method from everything else.

12. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

I have only used Azureus before it became Vuze and I haven't been using torrent since then.

13. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Wow! I haven't updated my UTorrent in a while, looks like I probably won't.
    Sad that it went that way. I used to use it.

14. Karock

Karock Member

Eats shoots and leaves.

I use Transmission.

15. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

But is it Instant Transmission? :) <Runs away before the DBZ fans attack him>

16. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

No, using it requires the user to scream for half an hour to build his power level up.

OmniNegro likes this.
  17. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Ah. Okay. But is it's power level over 9000?

18. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

For shame, µTorrent. Guess I'll have to just import your torrents to my new client one at a time...