What Spells Would You Like In The Game?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by badboy80, Apr 5, 2012.

1. badboy80

badboy80 Member

Just a thought, what generic spells do you think should be added to the game, whether it be for a wand, monster, or skill?

Give the name, effect, and magic cost, as well as any "special" notes too.

(BTW, this is also an excuse to find spells to put into a mod I'm planning, so preferably no OP ones)

2. zefria

zefria Member

It has Fireball, clearly it needs Lightning Bolt too. It could probably be very similar to the thunderbolt trap graphics.

3. lccorp2

lccorp2 Member

Thor's Fulmaric Bolt.

4. badboy80

badboy80 Member

I was actually thinking that, but it is kind of powerful for an early on spell, so it needs a basic form, like a plain Bolt

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

How about a *Long* range teleportation spell? Something to scout the level with.

How about a detect series of spells? (Detect monsters through walls in a radius if possible, detect items the same, detect stairs and doors...)

How about a massively potent single target damage spell that paralyzes you for several turns to compensate for its potency?

6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

How about a monster summon that actually uses *Only* ranged attacks and sucks in melee?

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member

A very long cooldown spell that lets you look into a room would be nifty. But you'd probably have to completely redo the way the camera works...maybe if it just teleported you into the room with a super invincibility buff (or invisibility) for a few turns, and then teleported you back out?

I'd like spells that are not instantaneous-- spells that take a few turns to cast, or that send projectiles out that take time to hit their target.

8. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

Unless it got fixed, there is one (at the very least) - "Move in Mysterious Ways". Have you ever tried to teleport onto closed doors with it? Because in 1.0.9 Rev.B it did work, and if it works here as well, it is exactly what you want (because you can simply move back into the room you were in from the doors, and unless there was a named monster staying exactly on that one spot from where it could hit you [which is unlikely], you won't get hit hard enough to die).

9. zefria

zefria Member

As I understand it, that's not at all really what I'm taking about. That's an electrical attack with a lightning theme, but it targets 1 tile, then targets everything around that tile. I've never used the spell myself, so correct me if I'm wrong on that.

But, I want a deadly beam that shoots out of you, probably in the orthogonal directions only, and doesn't stop until it either hits a wall or goes out to 6 or 7 squares.

10. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

There aren't any in the game, but looking at the scripts, I don't think it'd be that difficult to create if you wanted to do it.
    The only difficulty lies in creating your own template, and that is still pretty easy.

11. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The only spell I know of that bypasses walls also destroys them. Golemancy Deconstruction.

12. J-Factor

J-Factor Member

• Mass Sleep
    • Equilibrium
      • Heals :life:30 (-1 * :life:)
      • e.g. At :life:100 it deals :life:70 damage to you, at :life:10 it heals :life:20
      • Note: Just found out this isn't possible because you can only scale off max HP, not current HP
    • Field of "It"
      • When a monster in the Field of "It" is hit in melee they are charmed for 1 turn
    • Trap Trap
      • Trap that when stepped on summons random traps all around you (using spawnitematlocation)
    • Dimensional Rip Trap
      • Trap that when stepped on summons a 'Dimensional Rip' monster.
      • 'Dimensional Rip' monster summons a normal monster next to it every turn.

13. zefria

zefria Member

I'm not sure if this was in response to me or not, but bypassing walls would not be a desired property of the proposed Lightning Bolt spell.

I'd make it myself, but I'm not good at art and steam workshop isn't even up for DoD yet. Once one of these two problems goes away (workshop, probably), then I might get to it.

14. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Sorry. I clearly misread your post. Ignore my post.

But now that I think of it, a spell that bypasses walls and does some small damage would be nice to have in some situations. (Not like the targeted spells such as Mathemagics Recursive Curse that requires a monster or destructible thing as a target, but something you could spam at a door to see if something takes damage behind it before you open the door. The existing spells that can do this will likely get nerfed eventually, as i suspect this was not intended.)

15. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

How about a cross between the two Mathemagic teleports? Cast the spell on a tile, whether you can see it or not, and you teleport to a safe square within a 5x5 square of that tile, or the nearest safe square if there are not safe squares in the 5x5 square.

16. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

You should go try Wind Magic, it has a spell that's a combination of the two.

17. badboy80

badboy80 Member

Trap Trap sounds pretty awesome! But I imagine it would have to be on quite a high level to compensate with all those traps!

18. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

I'd like to see the 'bard' aspect expanded upon, but in Dredmor fashion.

A spell I came up with would be something like (no figures, just ideas):
    "Screeching Diva" (lvl 2. "musician")
    - Deals light damage
    - Reduces enemy dodge chance
    Flavour text: Years of practice singing into your plastic hairbrush have finally paid off.

Followed by:
    "Pop Sensation" (level 4)
    - Deals no damage
    - Stuns enemies in X radius for Y turns
    Flavour text: Your tunes are so good that anyone who listens freezes in aural pleasure.