What is "Buff"

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by iamcreasy, Aug 22, 2012.

1. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

From the tutorial it says, "Some heros choose to mix magic and weaponry for potent effect. These wizards often choose to use spell to make their attack more powerful. These are called "Buff"."

I am lately going through different skill, stats and how they affect each other. But, I am confused where the Buff fits in.

From the tutorial it just looks like magic infused with weapon, which will be shown as a picture as the left side of the screen, but going through this forum and other documentation it feel there is much more then this.

Anybody give me some idea what I am missing?

2. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

A "buff" is a term used for a beneficial effect, usually the result of a spell or an ability and more often than not they're temporary. It can be anything from a positive Krong result which "buffs" your weapon, to Voltaic Potion which... I forget, or to an ability like Berserker Rage which "buffs" you with increased skills when it triggers.

Turbo164 and iamcreasy like this.
  3. Wolg

Wolg Member

In basic terms, a buff is an applied effect that helps your character somehow (more damage, faster health regen, etc), while a debuff is an applied effect that hinders (lowered resistances, etc). Both are usually expressed numerically, and may be timed (in turns or number of attacks), "brittle" (wear off gradually as you take hits), or permanent.

(Edit: And Althea ninja's me...)

Turbo164 and iamcreasy like this.
  4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Buff is an old term that basically means "something that makes you better at something". IE any skill that would up your defense while is active would be a buff. Or when people talk about something being buffed in a change, it means it was made to be better.

Debuff would be the same thing, like if you're Silenced or something.

OmniNegro, Turbo164 and iamcreasy like this.
  5. iamcreasy

iamcreasy Member

Very clear answers. Thank you!