What games are you playing and why?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OmniaNigrum, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

Been watching this since the start and played it at Rezzed last year, but this is the first time I've actually properly sat down and played it. It's good!

Xyvik and OmniaNigrum like this.
  2. Dominions 4 - if you can get past the outdated graphics and the... entire interface, it's a very interesting and thematic game with lots of depth.

I can't decide if the madness-inducing, the blood magic obsessed or the undead reanimating nations are best. Some of the "normal" nations are fun too :^)

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Dominions 4 is a Gaslamp favorite too. We have a 9 player game going on right now, even. It can get pretty crazy.

jadkni and OmniaNigrum like this.
  4. MOOMANiBE

MOOMANiBE Ah, those were the days. Staff Member

Playing:
    Hearthstone: Casually playing one match an evening. Fun, but I can't see myself spending money on it.
    Guild Wars 2: God dammit game why did you suck me back in. >_< It's a huge time-eater but I can't stop.
    Pokemon Diamond: Prepping the 2nd part of my Diamond -> Black -> Y transfer chain. I WILL HAVE ALL THE POKE A MONS. I don't actually know why I'm so invested in this.
    Dark Souls 2: YOU DIED
    Luftrausers: Fun lil arcade game. Having a good time unlocking stuff.

Finished recently:
    999: 9 Persons 9 Hours 9 Doors: REALLY good DS visual novel. Wow. Super clever.
    Blackwell Epiphany: The finale of the Blackwell series. Awesome as always. Glad to see everything come to a close.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  5. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I finished Dark Souls 2!

I'm still playing Dark Souls 2.

6. jadkni

jadkni Member

What Daynab said, yes. :D

Played through once on a character I didn't like much and didn't want to run through with again until I had a build in mind for them, starting NG+ on a character I do like now.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  7. Nettle Soup

Nettle Soup Member

Cook... Serve... DELICIOUS! I love this little game, I must've put 60 hours into it at least... Again it's a laptop game and doesn't require much to run, but it gets surprisingly harrowing at times. Sure I'll be able to serve all 8 cus- oh no 7 is counting down, my sushi went terribly wrong, the VIP is here and my date is texting me!

Wolfram Hatlocke and OmniaNigrum like this.
  8. I'm playing the Pit, still.

The Zuul DLC gave me a new character (and assorted bits and bobs to play with). After a successful normal run, I was reminded how much I liked the game.

So I had to try a "Seriously?" run again. (Seriously is one above Insane. There is ONE verified person who has beaten it.) We'll have to see how it goes. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  9. LionsDen

LionsDen Member

I'm still playing SotS The Pit as well. I did get the new Pilgrim DLC and have tried out the new character. It's interesting.

I am also playing Bionic Dues and Heroes of a Broken Land. It's been a few days since I played FTL but I will likely play it again soon.

:)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Yesterday I finally got hold of a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D. Aside from the necessities in Animal Crossing (which I do around breakfast time), I've been spending a lot of time playing it. I would not be surprised if it was the first game I finished on my 2DS.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Well a Steam friend of mine asked me to set up a Planetary Explorers server, and I spent some time trying to get that to work this evening/morning, and I think I finally have it. This is just an experiment for now, since according to the devs, Multiplayer is only partly working (it's early access, after all). I actually haven't gotten very far into story mode (ESO, to name one, stole my attention, plus I got stuck in a quest because I couldn't manage to kill any of the creatures they wanted me to kill without dying myself, even with 2 npcs helping me. In some ways, I'm doubtful that this will be a successful experiment, but we'll see. I enjoy wandering the alien planet, exploring and gathering and mining and crafting, but I'm not much into the whole minecraft-like designing and building stuff, but I find the rest of it kind of hypnotizing.

And I still see Endless Legend as having a lot of promise, but I also believe that I'm probably completely incompetent at the game so far (my cities keep winding up under siege, getting crippled with debt or unable to expand at all, and so on). It's still not a complete game (it's currently capped at 200 turns due to memory leaks). But what is there is actually fun.

Unfortunately, a similar game that I actually backed on Kickstarter (Worlds of Magic) is not quite in as good shape right now, and Is not quite as fun (though I haven't completely given up on it). If you go into the wrong menu right from the start, you can't actually back out of it, for example. So if you aer like me and accidentally press the wrong button or you are simply curious to see what something does, well you could end up having to use task manager to close and restart the game (unless you want to go through a whole bunch of nonsense to FINALLY figure out how to get to an exit prompt).

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. Aegho

Aegho Member

I bought Dragonfall(Shadowrun Returns DLC) on sale at the humble store... been playing the hell out of that now, needed a bit of a break from FTL(I've unlocked all the ships and won with most of them).

EDIT: ... and I've finished it. :p

Good campaign, maybe a little short, but it was satisfying and didn't outstay its welcome, which I think it would have if it dragged on much longer.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  13. jadkni

jadkni Member

Dragonfall was a huge improvement on Dead Man's Switch overall I'd say. Still not all that long, but MUCH longer than the first one - and made much, MUCH better use of decking this time around. Shamanism still feels kinda worthless but the weapon variety is a bit better. I'm disappointed that whats-her-name with the cybernetic arm was the only one who can use those cool claw attacks, I'd have loved to build a character around lighting enemies on fire and making them bleed to death.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Aegho

Aegho Member

Her name is Glory.

I did feel that there was no reason to pick up decking as a main character this time, Blitz could handle it all. In DMS it felt like you were strongly encouraged to be a decker.

I played as a chromed out samurai, with a touch of shamanism(3 for the totem, no more, and a bit of extra charisma for etiquette/speech options). Rifle is OP. :p

Btw I like shamanism, despite barely ever using a consumable, the freebies are awesome. Unreliable, but awesome. However Dietrich handles that just fine, so again, no need to main char it. Main char should be offensive powerhouse, not support in this one, so samurai is highly recommended, but rigger, adept or mage could all work, as long as you build for offense. Adept is better off than in DMS due to throwing weapons, giving them a strength based ranged option, and some of their spells having passive effects now.

Godwin and OmniaNigrum like this.
  15. jadkni

jadkni Member

Blitz could handle anything decking-related, but so could randoms in DMS. I was specifically referring to what having a decker along did for you really, it comes in very handy for a lot of situations, and a few missions with enemy deckers made having adequate decking skills more of a boon.

I ran as a samurai, also rifle (and you aren't kidding, rifle is ridiculous), with a splash of decking to be able to mark targets and make full auto land more reliably. It came in handy in a few missions (the one where you had to shut down that AI in particular), despite already having a decker. There are some crazy fights there where one might not cut it.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Aegho

Aegho Member

Well in the DMS if you had randoms do your hacking, you still couldn't use their skill for a lot of menu options, talking or otherwise. In Dragonfall you lose out on a bit of speech options, but those are mostly "I can do it myself" instead of having Blitz do it. You lose out on a lot more in DMS, probably more than a dozen points of karma, and several pieces of loot, because there's so many situations that only check the decking skill of the mainchar.

PS: The only enemy hacker I ran into in the matrix in Dragonfall was Parson, and then I had "Monika" with me.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
    OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. jadkni

jadkni Member

I believe it was one of the optional missions, when you have to recover a cyborg troll. There are enemy hackers dotted all over the place both on the way in and on the way out, which your deckers could assassinate . It was a great mission, highly recommend going back and doing it if you have a save prior to the point of no return or don't mind playing again. :)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Aegho

Aegho Member

Oh you mean the enemy riggers that tried to take control of the cyborg? Yeah I just alpha-striked those to death with the troll, my main, or Eiger. 1st turn kill every combat. Had no idea deckers could do anything to them, I just shot them dead.

Sidenote: I started up a second Dragonfall run, to build up a character for doing UGCs. This time a Troll Adept Unarmed/Throwing char. ;)

Honestly though, it does get spread a bit thin, it needs body, strength, will, unarmed, throwing, and chi-casting, and could probably do with quickness/dodge too, and a few points in charisma... Oh and 2 points in spellcasting, because heal. :p

At some point I might try this as an unarmed/throwing chrome character. (2 str arms, and +2 dodge/throw +1 move body, one of the 0.5 essence eyes, and one leg).

Actually, the more I look at it, the more convinced I am to drop chi-casting at 4(get stride), grab 3 shamanism for the heal totem, and just chrome up and raise str/unarmed/throwing, with a few points in body/dodge for survival. Goal will be to utterly max strength, so can't spend too much outside of the combat skills.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
    Xyvik and OmniaNigrum like this.
  19. jadkni

jadkni Member

Yeah, sorry, now that you mention it, they were riggers, not deckers. They do appear in the matrix though, relatively easy to kill.

I didn't care much for adepts, because as you said, the stat spread on them is kinda ridiculous. Being a troll makes it a little easier but not by much. They wind up starved for any sort of utility, every single point of karma goes into keeping their combat stats up.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  20. Aegho

Aegho Member

Yeah honestly if you're going for the strength melee(unarmed)/throwing character, the more I look, the less I can justify putting points in chi-casting. Though the very first point is a given if you go unarmed, just for the passive bonus damage. Cyberninja seems like the way to go. You can grab a little bit of shamanism for utility.

OmniaNigrum likes this.