What games are you most looking forward to?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by OmniaNigrum, Nov 14, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

This is yet another redundant thread where we blab about games. In this one, it will be mostly discussing games that have not been finished yet. No hard rules forbid mentioning games you are currently playing, nor games that sound very similar. You are even free to (Kindly) ridicule the games others are looking forward to.

I just saw this one and fell in love at first sight. I doubt I have the fine-motor control for a twitchy game like this, but I suspect I will manage if it has an easy setting or some other way I can compensate. (I am not above cheating when my manual dexterity is flatly inadequate.)
    http://www.secretsofgrindea.com/

Give it a look. It is already Greenlit. So Steam will have it when it is finished. I just hope it is possible to solo it without Internet connectivity. (My ISP has been giving me trouble today.)

Please feel free to comment on that or another game that is on the way. And if you feel like typing a wall of text, I do not mind. :D

The game looks like Secret of Mana to me. And the similar name is close enough that I think it is going to be an improved clone with cooperative play. It is about time someone made a good clone of that game. :)

2. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Kingdom Rush II.

Clockwork Empires.

Umm.....yeah, that's about it at the moment.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  3. Wolg

Wolg Member

CE and Doom4

(Diablo3 beat the anticipation out of me, so these days i just wait and see what turns up.)

4. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Regarding Secrets of Grindea this was definitely one I was looking for already.

The one I'm probably looking most forward to right now is Card Hunter. Collectible Card Game/Strategy RPG hybrid, indie.

Aegho and Haldurson like this.
  5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I just finished watching the video. That looks great Daynab. I will add that to my wish list. Thank you.

6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

This says it will be a FTP. (Free to Play.) http://www.cardhunter.com/game-info/

But I suspect you will have t shell out $20 USD or the equivalent to have a reasonable time with it. Sounds like a deal to lose dozens to hundreds of hours playing a well made game. So far they reveal no set prices on anything. I hope they are reasonable and allow it to run standalone without multiplayer. (Meaning offline. I generally hate online only games.)

I have zero desire to compete against the world and stroke my ego every time I win. I hope they read that much.

7. jadkni

jadkni Member

I'm hugely looking forward to Hero-U but not for what you might call logical reasons. I love adventure games and they're something of a dying breed with the occasional new entrant, but those that do come around don't really push the boundaries or do anything new. QFG mixed that with my other addiction in RPGs, and like them or hate them they are definitely their own experience. I'd love to see how those developers have grown and/or changed since QFG.

8. I'm looking forward to all of the RPGs that are being working on currently. Project Eternity, CDPR's Cyberpunk, and some Shadowrun project I also heard about. There's also Bioshock: Infinite coming out in the near future. 2012 was a slow year for video games so here's hoping it picks up next year.

9. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

The single player campaign will be completely free (and supposedly really, really long). They have talked about selling additional adventures and I think that would be a good idea.

They've been wondering how to monetize the game and want to avoid what you say though, and given that they're indie I'm willing to give them a chance. From what I understand you actually need to play single player to build up your card list so they're looking at how to solve that problem for people who only play multiplayer. We'll see.

You will need to be online to play for the only reason that it is a browser game.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  10. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

There are a lot of games coming out that interest me -- I'll have to see which ones live up to their promise. I'm not 'excited' about any in particular, but I am hopeful about several.

For MMOs, I'm interested in both WildStar and Elder Scrolls Online. WildStar just looks interesting. The graphics style is different, to say the least, and I'm still looking for a science fiction MMO to take the place of either Tabula Rasa or Fallen Earth. I love science fiction, and both those games, imho, came the closest to what I'm looking for in a game. TAbula Rasa was flawed, but was incredibly fun (if you disregarded the bugged zones, quests, and lack of game balance). I left Fallen Earth a while ago when I hit the end game, plus most of my friends had already left the game (it was so bad that I was the most senior member left in my guild, so I was, by default, guild master, and I had no desire or energy to run a guild). They've added more content since I've left, but I can't energize myself enough to want to come back.

And Elder Scrolls Online simply looks promising. It may not be revolutionary in any way, but fer god's sake, it looks like Elder Scrolls. And I've loved all of the TES games since Arena first hooked me. I know it ain't going to really be like any of Bethesda's other games (technically, it's a Zenimax poject, whatever that means). But it does look like they are trying to please the fans (both Elder Scrolls, and traditional MMO fans). I'm a bit skeptical about it, but I can still be hopeful at the same time.

For non-MMOs, of course there's CE. I'm not really a city-builder or world-builder type fan. The last Sim City game I liked was the first one. I've tried a lot of other games of similar style without any luck. So I'm not 100% sure if the game will be for me. But GLG has earned my loyalty with Dredmor, so maybe they can win me over with CE.

Other notable upcoming games include a few kickstarters/indiegogo campaigns: Elite Dangerous I've mentioned before -- I am not a fan of any kind of flight simulators, even in space, but Elite originally won me over with its style of open-universe sandbox play, and procedural design. If it's anything like Elite, it does hold some promise.

There's also The Pit, which I've written about in another thread. I've played the alpha enough to know it holds some promise as a science fiction rogue-like. I'm still hopeful that the game will shape up by the time the live version is released.

M.O.R.E. looks promising as a 4-X space strategy game, a type of game that I'm a sucker for. I've been burned in the past by ones that never lived up to their promise, so I'm always skeptical. But we'll see.

And then there's Wasteland 2. Wasteland was the predecessor of Fallout, so even if you've never played it, if you are a fan of the Fallout franchise, you ought to be interested in this game.

One other game on my radar now, is Talisman: Prologue, which is based on the old board game. I've played the alpha of it, and it showed promise. What I don't know is if it will be the kind of game that you play a few times, then forget about, or if its the kind of game that you want to keep on revisiting. I suspect the former, but I hope it will be the latter.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  11. jadkni

jadkni Member

I found the Pit yesterday about 20 minutes after my previous post, oddly enough. It's set in the same universe as Sword of the Stars and that makes it instantly relevant to me. :p

Feels sort of like DoomRL. Sort of. The focus on noncombat skills and large mechanical differences between the guns has some promise. Conversely, the enemies all feel rather same-y but it's an early version and there's plenty of time to improve on its' weaker aspects. I hope that psi-combat is implemented somewhere down the road, or the ability to play as some of the other SotS races.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Wasteland 2 is something I still need to starve to save the petty $20 to buy. But I loved the original. I actually played it on more than one system type. (Not just two different PCs, but a PC and an Amiga if my memory serves me.)

DoomRL pissed me off last time I played it. It may have changed by now, but back then you could not tell what skills you could actually build towards in advance. You could only see the skills you had and the skills immediately available to you. The problem was that some skills required you pick that at exactly the right level and there was no way to pick them if you did not get they at that exact moment. I have rarely been so pissed as to discover my nearly perfect character could ever reach the capstone skill I was building for because I took a different skill at the one and only level I could have taken that one...

13. Wolg

Wolg Member

DoomRL has had requires/blocks markers on skills for several versions now. Also, it's now graphical. And has classes.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  14. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I gave DoomRL a try a while ago, and didn't like it. It may be worth taking another look at though.

I wrote two different evaluations of "The Pit", one based on my very first try at the demo, and one based on repeated plays, and I will admit that my first impression of the game was a bit off. It may not (currently) be a 'good' game, but I'm not ready to call it a bad game either. There are actual differences between the enemies even in the demo. They don't have the same behaviors, speed, range, etc. But you may have to play a bit to notice that. There are slow tanky enemies, immobile ranged enemies, and so on, but you do spend a lot of time fighting similar nuisance critters (rats, bat-like critters, worms, etc.) I do like that it has a different ambience than the typical dungeon crawler, and as you say, different sorts of weapons that aren't just the same weapon with different stats. A pistol is different than an assault weapon, is different than a shotgun. The autopistol works differently than an ordinary pistol, in fact. I'm also interested in how they are going to implement crafting, and what some of the skills are going to allow you to do (decrypt???)

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  15. jadkni

jadkni Member

I don't really feel comfortable labeling it as "good" or "bad" yet as it's an alpha, the word I'd use is "promising". It does enough different from other roguelikes that it has me interested if nothing else. It might help that I'm also "just a little" into the SotS universe.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  16. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

To be honest? I don't think I'm really looking forward to anything that's even near-tangible right now. I'll likely get Tomb Raider and BioShock: Infinite, sure, but I'm not exactly champing at the bit for them.

I mean even Divinity: Original Sin & Divinity: Dragon Commander seem a long way off for me to really get... y'know, excited.

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  17. Godwin

Godwin Member

Star Citizen... I can't help myself :p

Apart from that: M.O.R.E., Elite: Dangerous, ... and yes, the game I'm making at work :p

OmniaNigrum likes this.
  18. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I guess Star Citizen should belong on my list as well, though the description makes it sound overly ambitious so I'm a bit more skeptical about that one.

19. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

The only gripe I have about MORE is that so far, there is no tactical combat. I simply will not play a 4x without the ability to actually direct individual ships. For example, playing MoO2 I have upwards of 3/4 better odds in any combat if I can decide to focus on the more dangerous ships with all my fleet. The default assigns equal priority to each enemy ship and that makes adding a dozen cheap shitty ships with armor a good defense for your mega-killer ship.

I bought MORE. But I will never play it nor pay a cent for anything else for it without that change.

Star Citizen looks like they are going away from the roots of the Genre. They want it to be online only. Yuck. My ISP has been getting worse for years now. My packet loss is sometimes as high as 90% yet Charter ISP denies there is even a problem. If there were another ISP in my area that was not wireless only, then I would ditch Charter today.

The reason I point this out is that online only games will neither load, nor even run without the packets getting there reliably.

20. Godwin

Godwin Member

Gotta read the info man, it has turnbased tactical combat.

Gotta read the info man, it has offline singleplayer. Heck, you can even host the universe for yourself and make it a singleplayer that way.