What firewall do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by OmniaNigrum, May 9, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Did you read through the details? The "Product Tour" gives great depth of details about how it works and what it does. There are only a few minor things I did not see there that I hope to learn once I actually start using it.

If it works, I intend to give them $5 as a donation to continue the work. I will make it clear that I would not consent to using it at all if it were trial-ware or required a payment/donation to use though.

As a matter of fact, once I finish checking the Barrier Maiden mod and posting my findings, I will get right on that. (Unless I am distracted by something else.)

2. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Done. I first unplugged my Cable Modem and then uninstalled Comodo. It stalled for a solid minute trying to call home while uninstalling. I then rebooted and installed Privatefirewall. It had something that would have prevented me from trying it at all if there was any indication of this before the install. In the terms of use I found this mess.

Code:
    5. TRIAL.  If the Software is being licensed on a trial basis, Your use of the Software is governed by the terms of this Agreement as modified by the terms of this Section.  In the event of any conflict between the terms of the Agreement and this Section, the terms of this Section shall govern.  You are granted a license to use the Software for evaluation purposes only.  You agree to use the Software solely for such purposes, in accordance with the usage restrictions set forth in Section 2, for the designated evaluation period (the “Trial Period”).  Upon expiration of the Trial Period, Your license to use the Software automatically expires and the Software’s capabilities may become restricted.  In addition, You agree to promptly destroy the Software and all copies thereof and, at Privacyware’s request, to supply written certification of such destruction.  If You desire to continue to use the Software beyond the Trial Period, You may acquire a license for the applicable fee.  Any attempt to circumvent any expiry date technology or other mechanism contained within the Software which is intended to limit your ability to use the Software to a specified period is a violation of this Agreement, and any attempt to do so shall constitute a material breach of this Agreement.
    There is no real way of knowing if they intend to make a commercial product out of this, but the license may have simply been a formality made by an attorney. I chose to accept the terms anyway. And it is working flawlessly. It uses a grand total of ~30MB of RAM while running. 28 of them are the GUI. Lol.

I am playing with the settings still, but it works and has every feature I have thought to check for so far. And my Peerblock log is empty. :)

I will post more details as I figure everything out.

3. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Does it have a screen where you can see what ports are blocked and what aren't? This was something I felt was missing from Comodo including blocking port numbers manually.

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

There seems to be no way to block or permit by port. Only IPs are used really. I suspect they will add this eventually, but then I would have thought Comodo would have had it and we both know they too lacked that feature. The only port permissions tool I have ever had was in my router itself.

Sorry. But I think you may be stuck using a separate tool altogether if you want this. I will look around and see what I can find. And just in case you want to see it, it does log what ports are used.
    ports.jpg

5. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

That's most likely legacy code. Privatefirewall used to cost money, but they went freeware. I don't think they have plans to return to the it-costs-money model.

OmniNegro likes this.
  6. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Very good to know. I was somewhat worried about it. Thanks again banjo2E. I owe you for the suggestion. This is a great firewall. Lean, uncomplicated and free. What more could I want? (Besides port specific rules, but that is not a problem for me.)

Daynab, I found this very old link that suggests this can be done in Windows itself. But I doubt it will do what you really want, and at best it will be cumbersome.
    http://www.techrepublic.com/article/lock-it-down-block-tcpip-ports-to-increase-security/5033634

I have not found any port specific blocking tools yet. Still looking.

7. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I found one!
    http://www.e-systems.ro/port_blocker.htm

I will edit this post after I test it out.

*Edit* It works flawlessly. I was a bit disturbed by the activation being required, but it literally only requires you to click the link once and you can use that number every install you have. I guess it is their way to keep track of how many people use it.

Please let me know if this will not do what you need. I bet more can be found.

*Edited again* I am using the Bandwidth Monitor right now. It was just as painless as the Port Blocker. I want to see how many GibiBytes of data I send and receive in a month.

8. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for looking around, I'll check them out.

9. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I hope everyone will forgive me necro'ing this thread. But I have Comodo in my Peerblock logs again. I have had Comodo uninstalled for almost a month now. At first I thought I may have wandered into a site owned by Comodo, so I avoided going to any site that is in their IP range and watched carefully. It is fully possible that I missed something and some advertisement I am blocking links to a Comodo IP range, but the requests are being sent from my PC and even happening at times my browsers and any networking clients are not open.

This leads me to many suspicions of foul-play on the part of Comodo. Anyone have some good insight into exactly what I should do to narrow the cause of this down? I have already checked for each and every file that was a part of Comodo and verified they do not exist on my system.

The last time this happened was while I was running Bitcoin. No other networked client was running. Yet the contact was attempted on port 80, not 8333 like Bitcoin uses in most cases.
    Comodo.jpg

There are only a few dozen like this in the last few days, but it is alarming in that I have no reasonable explanation for the contact attempts and that it is doing the same progression of port attempts like Comodo itself was doing when I had it installed.

10. Loerwyn

Loerwyn Member

Windows' own brand with Microsoft Security Essentials.

Truly, I do. Simple as heck to use, and as I'm a sensible browser I've never really had an issue.

11. banjo2E

banjo2E Member

It could be some sort of service that didn't get removed. For example, installing just about any Google product adds a Google Update service, which isn't uninstalled when your Google stuff is removed; no, the service itself has to run and verify a lack of Google stuff before it removes itself.

Go into your services and check for anything related to Comodo. Failing that, post a topic on Comodo's forums.

12. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I have already checked for services. I guess the only thing left is to check their forums for help. Thank you anyway.