What do you think of these ideas?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Onamar, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Onamar

Onamar Member

I was going to learn how to mod DoD, and I just wanted to know what you guys thought of some of these ideas. Keep in mind that I don't even know if some of this stuff is even entirely possible, so bear with me here.

Iron Mage
    A short ranged, cooldown reliant "Mage" set designed to complement some of the Warrior skills. In the same vein as the QiGong skills, (nice job on your skills by the way Essence, they're all really good) you'll take a hit to your mana pool and mana regeneration. It's would mostly be themed around metal and lightning.

Skill 1: A buff that increases your defenses by a little bit (probably through Armor Absorption and Magic Resistance) and deals a bit of Slashing damage to enemies around you every turn for X turns.
    Skill 2: Deals damage to the target right in front of you, plus anyone standing directly behind or next to them.
    Skill 3: Puts a powerful DoT on a target in melee range, if they die while under the effects of the DoT, they're resurrected as an ally for a short time. It also gives you a defense boost that lasts as long as the maximum duration of the DoT and charm effects do, whether or not it kills them.
    Skill 4: Jump into the air and come crashing down as a lightning bolt, dealing Electric damage to a 3x3 area around where you land, and shoving any enemies you land on top of backwards one square. This would have a much longer cooldown than other teleportation spells.
    Skill 5: Deals damage to enemies in a "cone" shape immediately in front of you, reducing their defenses and increasing your own for a short time.
    Skill 6: You know the Golemancer's Blade Being? How about a skill that fills every empty space in a fairly large AoE around you with them. They would do more damage than the Blade Being of course, but fade after a few turns so you can, you know, get out without tearing yourself to pieces. Using this would give you a temporary debuff to your defenses.

Stats gained from putting points into these skills would include:
    +Burliness (And all the secondary stats contained within there)
    +Armor Absorption
    +Magic Resistance (Not much)
    +Magic Power (Probably just a little bit)
    -Mana and -Mana Regen (enough so they're both absolutely terrible by the time you get to the 4th skill)

I also had a few other ideas
    Paladin of Lutefisk (Fish, water/ice damage, giant Lutefisk explosion, etc)
    Paladin of Krong (Fire-based Warrior, with a free level or two in Smithing, and maybe that Archeology skill that lets you reuse an Anvil)
    Paladin of Inconsequentia (I really have no idea, but I feel like if the other two exist, then this one should too)

But I don't really have many ideas for skills for them yet. I'll fill them in here if I come up with a whole set for any of them.

Edit: Clarified a few entries, removed the 5th skill for now.
    Edit 2: Put in an actual skill for #5
    Edit 3: Changed skills #2 and #3

2. Repulsion

Repulsion Member

Looks good. The 4th skill looks so useful, but it kinda seems unrelated. All combat abilities... and then suddenly that. Perhaps it could be added to the smithing skill tree, since it seems kinda unfair that alchemy can transmute gems and smithing can't transmute ingots. The second skill seems like it would be a little UP, as well.

3. jadkni

jadkni Member

I've started on something along the lines of those last three - a mod adding some skill lines for various gods to the game. Though I'm aiming for more general-use supportive skill lines that have penalties associated with going against that God's wishes (like Killer Vegan.)

4. Onamar

Onamar Member

I think you're talking about the 5th skill, the Ingot Transmutation? Yeah I guess. And about the 2nd skill, that would basically be the only ability with a low cooldown, like 2-4 turns, and it would be a fairly large boost.

Is it possible to make a skill that does damage in a "cone" shaped area? Like one tile in one of the cardinal directions, then 3 tiles after that? Like this:
    [ ] [ ] [x]
    [p][x][x]
    [ ] [ ] [x]
    Where P is the player and the x's are all the tiles that are effected.
    Sounds cool. I was thinking something more like different flavors of Warrior with some extra utility, the Killer Vegan penalties have always bugged me too much to bother using it outside of Random runs.

5. Null

Null Will Mod for Digglebucks

All I have to say at the moment is Mordekaiser.
    Actually I'll say that skills 3, 5, and 6 don't fit with the rest of the skills as the short-ranged feel of the tree.
    And the jump probably shouldn't knock back if it's meant to be short-ranged.

6. Onamar

Onamar Member

Exactly what inspired me!
    Yeah, I'm going to change skill #5. I should probably clarify, #3's range would be just one tile. And #6 IS the last skill on the tree, of course it's going to be bigger, but I was still thinking only like a 3-4 tile radius, sort of a diamond shape.

The jump has the one-tile knockback so you don't get stuck on top of whoever you jumped on, those around the impact zone wouldn't be moved. Well, if it's possible to make the spell work like that anyways, I haven't actually looked into that too much yet.

7. Repulsion

Repulsion Member

A skill in Essence's Warlockery skill tree does a cone shape attack. Massive attack, I believe?

8. Essence

Essence Will Mod for Digglebucks

Everything here looks possible and good. As a 5th-level skill, how about something that consumes an artifact in order to fuel a huge AoE attack spell? No cooldown since the cost is the consumption, and it'll give non-Archeology players something cool to do with the dozen lame artifact traffic cones they'll have by DL2. :)

9. Onamar

Onamar Member

Hmm, that's an interesting idea Essence, but I don't think that would really fit very well. Maybe it would work on some kind of Historian skill tree? We already have Mathmagic, so why not?

But anyways, since apparently cones are possible, I think I have a good idea for that 5th skill now.

10. Null

Well don't you just have the whole kit now. If you kill an enemy with skill three it should ressurect them for a short time as an ally (Not serious as far as balance goes). It'd be entirely possible though.

11. Onamar

Onamar Member

Oh sweet you can actually do that? I figured it would be impossible since they'd be, you know, dead. I don't think it would be too difficult to balance, it just depends on how long they stay alive before they keel over again.

I've actually started looking into the SkillDB and stuff, this is going to be a lot easier than I thought it would.

12. Null

you'd just trigger a targetcorpse on them to resurrect and charm it. Actually you'd have to be careful not to accidentally resurrect anything you didn't want to but yeah.