What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'Discussions' started by Vykk Draygo, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

One of my favorite threads over at another forum I frequent (long time visitor and mod over at THEM Anime). Basically, just a short post about whatever you are listening to at the moment (or have listened to recently). Feel free to comment on, or discuss what other people are listening to. This applies mostly to music, but please feel free to share podcasts, etc.. Please, keep it civil. Feel free to call music crap if you want, but at least try to give a reason, and definitely don't insult those who listen to it.

So, yeah. I'll kick it off.

Beloved by Tenth Avenue North.

Listening to my Christian pop station on Pandora right now. I like their use of texture in this song. It's not quite as complex a weaving as say shoegaze bands would use, but it's still nice.

2. kuhchung

kuhchung Member

The sound of a dog in my cubicle snoring

3. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

Dancing in the Moonlight - Toploader.

4. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I'm currently listening to "Take the Money and Run" by The Steve Miller Band on Pandora -- I'm an old timer and the music industry kind of lost me once we hit the late 90's/early 2000's or so.

I also often listen to either a Firesign Theater or Woody Allen comedy channel while I play Dredmor (before he was famous as a writer and director, he did stand-up comedy).

5. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

Kidnapping an Heiress - Black Box Recorder

6. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

I'm young(ish), and I still don't like most modern music. I'm not a hipster, or anything, but I am pretty picky most of the time. I think that's more to do with my being a musician, though.

Girl in a Truck by Kevin Fowler.

Kevin Fowler is awesome. Just bought his new CD (released last month). I love Texas country. I need to get some Robert Earl Keen . . .

7. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

I was born and raised on 60s and 70s music even though I'm only 18 so I like most of the classics, but these days I listen to a lot of alternative rock, indie rock occasionally, hip hop and metal (but no screamo)

Sometimes I listen to my favorite video game music radio station - nolife-radio.com
    I am not affiliated with them in any way, btw :p

8. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

I was raised on country, then I found my dad's copy of the Beach Boys, and Pink Floyd's the Wall. It was a pretty epic way to start listening to new music, if I may say so myself.

She's Country by Jason Aldean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZLUohDCGo

I love to play this song, but it's a total pain in the butt to downtune to drop C#. Still, it's worth it.

9. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

I was raised primarily on Britpop/British artists (Black Box Recorder, etc) with later smatterings of music from anywhere else.
    I also like dubstep depending on the skill of the producer.

10. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I grew up in a musical home -- my mom taught voice, folk guitar, and (when she was young) dance, and performed community theater, in nightclubs and actually sang in a choir at Carnegie Hall. The only thing that stuck for me was the folk music (Simon and Garfunkel, Joni Mitchell, etc.). When I was a pre-teen, my dad (who was tone-deaf and didn't really know what I liked) picked me up a couple of tapes by The Animals, because they were in the bargain bin (he loved a bargain) and that got me hooked on Blues and Rock. To this day, Eric Burdon is one of my favorite vocalists. Here's a couple of reasons why:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i0DMbCKnAg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Sfh8LFMaw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmdPQp6Jcdk&feature=related

11. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

12. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

Set the World on Fire (acoustic) by Britt Nicole.

Not about arson, despite the title. ;)

I love her acoustic album. Acoustic guitars are the best.

13. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

14. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Member

IanExMachina likes this.
  15. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

Thank you for this. I'd never heard of them before but now I'm going to have to look for more of their music.

16. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

I'll have to check those out in a bit.

Forget and Not Slow Down by Relient K.

Probably their best album. Love this.

17. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

On WinAmp this morning:

- Social Network soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, as inspiration for the next game.
    - Sun Ra, Lanquidity - Ra basically wrote the soundtrack to Cowboy Bebop. In 1960. The man was so far ahead of his game and nobody knew it in the jazz world until after his death. Sad, really.
    - Bootsy Collins, The One Giveth, the Count Taketh Away. Not his most solid effort, but still fun.
    - The Herbalizer, Very Mercenary. These guys are just fabulous, plus I love female MCs and both Herbalizer albums that I own have strong special guest slots.

18. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

You've piqued my interest. I haven't been an anime geek for a bit now, but Cowboy Bebop had great music (as well as being an excellent show).

Rock Bootom (live) by UFO.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qP_OqOJ8ug

I've got pretty much the same guitar Schenker is playing here (different pups). Gibson Faded Flying V (in cherry red). Changed out the modern ceramic pups, and put in an AlNiCo V 'bucker in the bridge, and a Charlie Christian stlye single coil in the neck. The 'bucker is modeled after a hot PAF. Both were custom made by a guy in England. Well worth the cost, love them to pieces. I can pull tones pretty close to this with my bridge pup when I'm hooked up to a tube amp, not that I play this good. ;)

I'm a bit of a guitar geek. :D

19. dubiousninja

dubiousninja Member

Heart of Courage - Two Steps From Hell

I have a grooveshark playlist with (in my opinion) their best songs I'm listening to right now.

20. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

Gray or Blue by Jaymay.

Liking her style. Quite nice.

Blue Lips by Regina Spektor

Ever excellent. I haven't heard a song from her that I haven't liked.