WASD suggestion

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Bhauk, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Bhauk

Bhauk Member

Since clicking to move doesn't allow you to unintentionally step on a trap I suggest WASD moving to be the same.

Holding down a move key into a trap will make you stop, and pressing into it again will give you the disarm prompt if there would be one. If you otherwise could disarm the trap then holding your walk key into it will automatically disarm it.

2. Patchumz

Patchumz Member

Make it a menu option, whether you want to run over traps, or get a prompt/instant disarm/pickup (Depending on what you have the capability of doing to said trap) when you run into it.

3. Bakyra

Bakyra Member

Then there would be no point in traps. All characters have at least 1 trap view range.
    What i suggest is making clicking hit traps as well! Since, you know, traps are meant to do that to you

4. Bhauk

Bhauk Member

Then rogue difficulty would be almost unplayable.

5. Bhauk

Bhauk Member

I mean, having to move one square at a time would make the game more tedious than it has to be. I really wouldn't want to play like that. I'd probably be less inclined to play Dredmor.

6. Lavastar

Lavastar Member

@Bakyra
    I second that motion. It seems to me the real problem in the WASD vs mouse clicking movement debate here is only because right now mouse clicking is overloaded with two functions: movement and disarming traps, which means mouse clicking will always choose the safer option even when you do not notice the traps yourself, thus an advantage over WASD. So, I propose a simple solution would be to just change the trap disarming input to something like ctrl+click, which cannot double as a movement command if there is no trap targeted. Then there'd be no advantage to move around via WASD or mouse clicking.

@Bhauk
    I disagree. Part of my enjoyment of playing Dungeons of Dredmor is knowing that even the little things, such as moving, can kill you. In my opinion, the whole point of traps is so you'd be paranoid and take baby steps, and nervously check what kind of trap each one actually is (especially those acid traps and that corruption trap). Then again, you always have the option to ignore them at your own peril, if you don't want to be slowed down by traps.

7. Bakyra

Bakyra Member

@Lavastar, there's no need for ctrl click. As it is now, the coding inside clicking knows where traps are, and pathfinds you around them. Even if you dont see them. In the eventuality that you click on top of one, the disarm pop up will show.

@Bhauk I'm sure the trap vision radius is there for a reason. Being careful and paranoid for deadly traps is cool in roguelikes too. What's the point of traps if you cant actually step on them?

8. Bhauk

Bhauk Member

@Bakyra That's true.

9. Lavastar

Lavastar Member

Oh wow, I didn't know mouse clicking actually pathfinds around traps. Then, mouse clicking must be nerfed! Meanwhile, I guess I'll have to stick to WASD so I can at accidentally step on traps and all that good stuff. :D

10. Embolus

Embolus Member

I believe clicking should not bypass traps. As people said this just ruins the whole point of traps and trap vision. I just use WASD, though that's mainly because it feels more natural to me (and I have more control over my pathing).