Vsync or lack thereof.

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by OmniaNigrum, Jun 26, 2012.

1. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Exile likes this.
  2. Michael88

Michael88 Member

That's me :oops: , As I've said. I have ati hd 3850, tried forcing in ccc, Tried triple buffering option, changing resolutions, none worked. I can play 30 minutes max. before my eyes hurt.

It's micro-stutter - I think that's the right description for my issue.

Don't bully me :confused:

3. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Do not worry. I only bully people that deserve it like Fax and Bergstrom. (Neither of them do, but they are fun to pick on.)

Is it more an issue with jumpy graphics? Like when you move it seems to lag behind and move really fast back and forth? Or is it actually a sync issue in that somewhere on the screen there is a literal line through the screen every frame, but only once per frame?

Since the game uses software rendering, your video card is almost not a possible issue. I use a Radeon 5850, so for the moment I am going to presume that is not the issue. What CPU do you have? Have you ran Coretemp to see how CPU usage is while the problem is happening? Have you tried running in a small window to see if the problem is improved?

Do not worry. We will find the cause and hopefully even find a solution.

Exile likes this.
  4. Michael88

Michael88 Member

Well actually it looks like everything is trying to catch up to my avatar. Objects don't move smoothly on the screen it looks like they are warping if you know what I mean. like if human eye finds 23 frames per seconds neat, this looks like it's missing 2-3 frames every seconds.

I have Athlon dual 2.6 GHz , and I saw at task manager that CPU usage never passes 30% when playing this game.

Maybe it's my monitor issue. I use Samsung SyncMaster 940BF. It can only work on 60, 70, 75 HZ. I tried putting on 75, but it improves it slightly.

Believe me I tried every resolution, full-screen and windowed, except ones that go beyond borders of my monitor, that would be silly :p

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I know what you mean. There have been several thread speaking of this. Words do not do it justice though. At the moment, I do not have a clue how to fix this issue. :(

Exile likes this.
  6. Michael88

Michael88 Member

It's O.K. I'll Joust play the game lesser. It's still the coolest one I had for a long time :) , will have to buy glasses if this keeps up though :confused:

So will we be addressed by the dev. team? I would like to know if I should hope.

7. Michael88

Michael88 Member

And thus we are ignored :(

8. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Not really. They pay attention. But it is hard to reply to something like this without sounding condescending when you do not have any solution to offer besides the usual "Check your drivers" BS that most places use. They care. I can promise that much. :)

Exile likes this.
  9. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

Hmm. What OS?

Exile likes this.
  10. Michael88

Michael88 Member

Win-7 / 32-bit

11. Michael88

Michael88 Member

I picked up Dredmor today after a big pause. And unfortunately screen tearing still occurs :/

12. Michael88

Michael88 Member

I must add something. Terraria and Dredmor are 2 games I own without v-sync option. Terraria work perfectly if I putt my refresh rate on 60Hz, Dredmor works almost perfect if I putt my monitor on 70Hz. So if I vice versa this, Terraria flickers allot on 70Hz, and Dredmor in unplayable on 60Hz :/

I am so sad :/