View the abilities of skills at Character Creation.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by vestrinex, Mar 6, 2013.

1. vestrinex

vestrinex Member

Hello everyone,

My first suggestion that comes to mind is this.
    (I have only had the game a few weeks now, so maybe i missed it.)

Just as the title says,
    Allow the abilities that comes with each skill to be viewed while choosing them at the character creation screen.

I think this would allow newer players to immerse themselves in the game better by letting them plan out characters at creation. Unless you have them memorized, or are using an outside source you're sort of guessing what your character will be. Just a suggestion to help newer players ease into the game a bit quicker, plus i bet even a few of the more experienced ones wouldn't mind it. It certainly wouldn't hurt anyone.

Other than that I'm loving this game a lot.
    Trying out a bunch of the mods and having tons of fun.(if anyone knows if maybe a custom mod like this would be possible, maybe send me a message. Would be more then happy to start one if someone can point me in the right direction.)

Cheers

Bohandas likes this.
  2. For me, an important point of the roguelike genre is finding out what everything does. You're supposed to experiment, try new things all the time, and that's one of the main highlights of the game for beginners- you never quite know what you're in for. Another thing that is an integral part of this game is dying a lot, which is much more likely for new players with no idea how skills synergise. Dying lots encourages them to try new things, and to work out which combinations do and don't work. It can be frustrating, but nobody said that the game would be easy.
    Basically what I'm saying is that it's fine the way it is. If you need help with skill figuring out what each skill does, use Dredmorpedia- it's a fantastic resource for this kind of thing. Also read up on some guides, a few can be easily found on this forum.

3. Nacho

Nacho Member

Even if you say that PS, you'll learn what abilities your classes have as soon as you start the game and press K. Is it really too much to let you do it while picking them too? Nobody's suggesting a full workup of what everything does with scaling and special effects spelled out for you, but it would be nice if I didn't have to check the wiki and Essence's balance thread, and his weapon skills thread and the threads for every other mod I'm using every time I start up a new game to make sure the Mathemagic skill I took doesn't overlap too much with Psychonics or Promethian Magic.

Kazeto likes this.
  4. Wolg

Wolg Member

You're talking about a UI change. We know where touching that code ends...

However, as it's an out-of-game menu, perhaps not so bad to touch.