Windows XP v1.0.11 Game crash -> save deleted

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Puttanesca, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Puttanesca

Puttanesca Member

Hi
    I started a new character in v1.0.11 after installing "Dungeons of Dredmor 2: Electric Diggeloo"
    On level 2 my character, Brienne, attempted to enter a "Satanic displacement Glyph" and the game crashed.
    Huh, I said, and reloaded. Brienne probably should be a hardcore character but she wasnt.
    I loaded the savegame, but it was early on level 1 with no cube, so I loaded the autosave which was not that long ago on level 2. Fine not much progress lost, I continued the adventure for a little while then saved and quit.
    The next day what I found when I attempted to play more was dreadful. Brienne was gone, no Brienne save and the autosave was reverted to the previous character (a doomed adventurer created purely to read the newskill descriptions).
    I guess making a backup of save games is recommended?

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

It sounds like the occasional SteamCloud bug. Run the game through the .exe instead of through Steam and your savegames should be safe.

3. Puttanesca

Puttanesca Member

Ah, yes I think I loaded the game through Steam at one point.
    Thanks for the tip.

4. Glazed

Glazed Member

Here's the problem: If you run the game via the EXE and create saves, then they will get deleted when you run the game through Steam. The solution is to always run the game through Steam, or never run it through Steam. I don't understand why, but launching the game via the EXE will cause a sync from the could to your machine, but exiting it will not cause a sync from your machine to the cloud.

You can also disable the Steam Cloud entirely. You can disable it per-game, but only for Valve's games for some reason.

5. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

I just want to say that Steam should be ashamed of this. DoD works fine, but their screw-ups are giving DoD a bad name.