Unholy Geometries, get yer Unholy Geometries here!

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Xyvik, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

So, just to break the game (that's the point here, isn't it?) I decided to fool around and fall in love and make some Very Fun buildings. Here's my best result so far; anyone have any other examples?

2014-08-17_00001.jpg

Marak likes this.
  2. Fayd

Fayd Member

...Your building has inspired me to suggest something. Could we have a multipart building, with different workshops in different wings?

3. Noratoxin

Noratoxin Member

Multiple branches on a building + ovens is the way to go when looking for alien geometries.
    Beauty is forbidden.

unholy buildings.png

Xyvik likes this.
  4. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

*sad weeping*

Viion, Sneaky, Xyvik and 4 others like this.
  5. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

Tleno likes this.
  6. Noratoxin

Noratoxin Member

Queue Jethrik01e_A2.ogg

7. DrSleepless

DrSleepless Member

Where I come from Kitchen roofs are optional....

[​IMG]

8. Alephred

In the interests of finding something to break, I built a small square Carpentry Workshop, then completely surrounded it on all four side with a torus-shaped Lower Class House, 2 or 3 blocks thick (a). The foundation of the House appeared clear, but a pointy chunk of the floor did the z-fight thing with the interior of the Carpentry Workshop (b). When the walls were raised, they conflicted with the walls of the interior building, unsurprisingly. Also, the torus spontaneously grew an interior wall (c). And there was a little weirdness with the roof (d). At this point, the door leading into the Workshop is blocked by the interior wall of the House, and the Woodworkers are unable to exit (e).

fig. (a)
    surrounded.jpg

fig. (b)
    zfight.jpg

fig. (c)
    zfight1.jpg

fig. (d)
    zfight2.jpg

fig. (e)
    zfight3.jpg

Xyvik, ForestryTech and Noratoxin like this.
  9. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

You're breaking Nicholas' spirits here!

EleSigma and Xyvik like this.
  10. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

I don't know if I should go bleach my eyes or hold a contest.

zerg_x, Marak, EleSigma and 2 others like this.
  11. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

Clearly the lesson here is to never give players options :p

Xyvik likes this.
  12. Xyvik

Xyvik Member

Contest. Definitely a contest. And Daynab, you're absolutely right! Giving players options can only lead to hideous, soul-sucking geometry problems! :D :p

13. Wolg

Wolg Member

Is it just me, or is anyone else seeing the Murder Act icon appearing over Nicholas' avatar?

Marak and Xyvik like this.
  14. Ager

Ager Member

I think it'd be easier to call this a "feature". Impossible space and sanity-rending architecture would seem to fit the game's theme.

Marak and Xyvik like this.
  15. Alephred

I accidentally generated a long diagonal wall that's only visible from one direction:

refinery1.jpg refinery2.jpg refinery3.jpg refinery4.jpg

Probably a side effect of the 'objects that stick through walls, in corners' bug.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  16. Honorable_D

Honorable_D Member

It looks like it's time for "Her Majesty Approved" floor plans to be enforced in the Colonies.

Cut back a bit on the custom and perhaps unfixable floor plans and edge more into the fixed blueprints/styles per building with perhaps 2-3 variations for the sake of... variety.

17. OddProphet

OddProphet Member

I think that would go against the Pioneering Spirit that is so essential to this game. If I want a workshop with JUST the right amount of space in the L-bend, CE is the place to do it at the moment.

18. Marc HC

Marc HC Member

Yes, but it wouldn't hurt to require a square of distance between different buildings, so a) there is no need for so much unnecessary adjustments and b) people can't use buildings as colony walls.

19. Alephred

Sticking building together like Tetris blocks works surprisingly well. But oh, the unsightly z-fighting; I don't know if it's related, but this particular game crashed before I had a chance to save it.

tetris1.jpg tetris2.jpg

An interesting use of buildings is to funnel invading fishmen into blind corners and long corridors, which in turn make it easier for your soldiers to shoot them.

20. Alephred

Here's a bit of weirdness with a doorway in a hallway that's two blocks wide.

door2.jpg door1.jpg