Windows Vista/7 64-bit Unexplained Duplication of Saved Games

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Bohandas, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I've run into an issue where a saved game will sometimes mysteriously duplicate itself, leading to two seperate copies of the game. I have steam cloud turned off.

While this is a very minor issue compared to the equally mysterious occasional deletion ofmsaved games it probably still bears investigation.

Kazeto likes this.
  2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

I've had something similar happen recently (though not exactly the same). What happened to me is that my game crashed. I was left with both an autosave AND an old version of the save that I had previously loaded (something which I had thought would have gotten deleted after the creation of the first autosave). I'd imagine that had I saved the game then it would have overwritten the other save. I'm not sure exactly HOW you can have two saves for the same character (other than the autosaves). Won't they have the same name? I used to work in VMS where files had version numbers, so unless you purged or had a version limit, you could have multiple files with the same exact name. But this isn't VMS.

In my case, I accidentally loaded the named saved game and lost 3 dungeon levels worth of progress.

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

They do in-game, but the actuasl file for one of them will have "_1" appended to it (which I think is also what happens if you start a new character with the same name as an existing one)

Haldurson and Kazeto like this.