Unconventional Strategies / Fun Things to Do in CE

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Alephred, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

I love hearing about unconventional game-play strategies and weird emergent tactics that can grow out of sandbox-type games - typically, they arise out of things not being used as intended. I want to hear about your neat / goofy things.

non-CE examples:

Dwarf Fortress: Drawbridges, aside from their obvious use, can be raised to fling enemies to their deaths, or dropped to smash objects and enemies as a makeshift trash compactor.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Stealing things will anger shopkeepers, but only if they see you. Visibility is determined by a cone of vision that emanates from an NPC's head. Things like cast iron cauldrons and wooden buckets can block line of sight. Thus: if you carefully cover a shopkeeper's head with a bucket, he will not see you robbing him blind.

Examples from Clockwork Empires:

Cabbages Shields: Fishpeople have a burning hatred of both your Colonists and their crops; planting long, thin cabbage patches between your settlement and the shore ensures Fishmen raiders will waste precious time stamping on your cabbages. Your soldiers will appreciate the extra shooting time.

Worked to Death: Got a couple of Cult-inclined colonists you want to execute, but you're reluctant to damage colony morale by killing them in the town square? Form up a Cultist Work Crew, and send them foraging along the shoreline.

Viion and zetjester like this.
  2. Viion

Viion Member

Only thing I do as a "strategy" is to not forage berry bushes to prevent starvation. It might seem counter-intuitive , but the reason is I keep them as a "strategic reserve" for when either I run out of food or when the cabbage fields have been overrun (I'll have to look into the "front-line farming" thingy you mentioned). Probably there is plenty of you that's already thought it before me, but I'm more than happy to claim credit for it hihihi

The reason I do is that when I first started playing the game I experienced pretty quickly the bushes disappeared and when for some reason I had a bad harvest or something then people starved and dropped like flies. Now when I suddenly realize the colonists have been busy gossiping and not farming I have the bushes to fall back on during the "is starving" messages. The other reason is that the fishmen ignore the bushes. So those times I've been sloppy and allowed a fishman to rampage through the farms (although in this latest game even though a fishman reached the farms the cabbages actually seemed to withstand the assolt much better) I can just start picking the berries.

Of course you'll still experience the disappearing bushes, but hopefully by the time you have none left you've had time to build up your colony and it's defences to a level where they aren't needed (as much hehe).