Twitch.TV/Online CE Videos

Discussion in 'Clockwork Empires General' started by Samut, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Samut

Samut Member

Is there any way to post CE sessions to twitch.tv (or another comparable site)? I don't see any CE videos there, and it might be fun to post some online.

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

There are tons of them on Youtube, but more would be great!

3. Alephred

Alephred Royal Archivist for Queen And Empire

If you dig back a few weeks, you can find the posts and links of apgamingreal, who did a couple of twitch livestreams shortly after the revision that gave us saves. The Escapist also did a twitch livestream shortly afterward.

4. Alephred

*edit* To address the OP: Streaming anything to Twitch (assuming you have an account, etc.) requires broadcast software (OBS seems popular and XSplit). A very few games have Twitch broadcast functionality built right in (Firefall, Planetary Annihilation, and Planetside 2 (I think?)), but those are very much the exception rather than the rule.

Twitch is very much set up for livestreaming, rather than episodic archives, the way YouTube is (in fact, you can't upload previously recorded video there at all). There's no reason you couldn't Livestream your Clockwork Empires game, of course, but putting it up on YouTube seems to make more sense at the moment.

--

Since this seems to be the thread for it:

Can anyone who's had some experience with NVidia's Shadowplay advise me as to what I'm doing incorrectly?

For folks who don't know what that is: it's a program that's bundled with the GeForce Experience, and is intended to be used to record and stream gameplay. It requires relatively recent NVidia GPUs, The big deal is that it uses a chip (or chipset or something) on NVidia hardware that is included specifically for that purpose (i.e. capturing, encoding, and where applicable, streaming). It's supposed to have very minimal impact on gameplay for that reason.

I'm sure I meet all the minimum requirements, I've uninstalled, reinstalled, and updated both the GeForce Experience suite and my NVidia drivers. I can enable it, and get the FPS overlay to display correctly, but when I try to actually record anything, nothing happens. I'm not getting the overlay element that indicates it's ready to record, and the hotkeys that stop and start recording do nothing. Weird.

I can capture video and audio with MSI Afterburner 4.0.0, which also uses my dedicated GPU (as opposed to something like Fraps, which does not, so it has a more severe impact on gameplay).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  5. Samut

Samut Member

Thanks. apgamingreal's Twitch videos only go back about a month (I guess Twitch deletes them after a while), so I couldn't find anything there, although he did have one on YouTube.

6. Samut

Samut Member

Is the box for "Allow desktop capture" checked? It didn't work for me until that option was turned on.

upload_2014-9-29_18-42-53.png

Thanks for the recommendation about Shadowplay, BTW. This is awesome. Now I just need to find a good place to host the videos. Presumably YouTube is the way to go?

7. Alephred

Unfortunately, The Desktop Capture option is only available on desktop-model NVidia cards, and my computer is a laptop (Desktop Capture is intended to be used for games that aren't being run in Fullscreen mode). I don't know what my particular issue is, but looking at NVidia's supprt boards, it's not uncommon.

Incidentally, are you able to capture video from CE via Shadowplay? The documentation says it's capable of recording any game that uses DX 9, 10, 11 or OpenGL (and CE falls into the latter).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  8. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

FYI we are rolling out a new fullscreen mode sometime in the next patch cycle which will fix a lot of these issues.

9. Samut

Samut Member

10. Alephred

Windows Movie Maker is free, and it has all the basic functions you'll probably want.

11. Maffia

Maffia Member

Long time lurker, first post.

Is anyone aware of any lets plays of CE they would recommend, had a quick look on YouTube and couldn't spot anything recent.

12. Alephred

There's a series by 'Way 2 much free time' which is goes all the way up to revision 31a. I've found most of the rest to be pretty outdated.

Oh, hey, YouTube videos embed here? Neat!

13. Nicholas

Nicholas Technology Director Staff Member

A lot of the Youtube people who follow CE seem to do a Youtube video every major revision (or have done so far.)

14. Samut

Samut Member

15. Maffia

Maffia Member

Thanks guys, I spotted theEvilLC, but latest video is titled along the lines of 'last one for a while' which is a bit of a shame as things seem to be starting to get really interesting.

I'll have to wait and see what turns up over the weekend.

16. Alephred

I've been considering recording / voicing some Tips n' Tricks type of videos, now that I've sorted out my audio / video recording software / hardware.

I don't really want to put them out for the whole world to see, just yet. Say I upload them to YouTube, is there any practical way to limit the potential audience to, say, just folks here on the forums, for now? I've certainly watched a ton of videos on YouTube, but I have no experience uploading anything there.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  17. Waervyn

Waervyn Member

I think you can specifiy that only people that actually have the link can watch it. So everyone here on the forum would be able to, but it wouldn't show up in search.

At least that was like 5 years ago when I uploaded a video ^^

18. Maffia

Maffia Member

You can put videos up as hidden so only people with a direct link to it can view.

19. Alephred

Just a general FYI: Lagarith Lossless Codec (YV12 mode) does not appear to play well with Clockwork Empires. I have no idea why. Any other Codec seems to work fine.

20. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

When you upload a video on youtube, you can set it as "unlisted" which means it doesn't appear on search or in related videos, you can only watch it if you have the link.