Tweak invisibility cancellation mechanics

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Bohandas, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I think that either invisibility buffs should use the same mechanics for being cancelled when you attack that other buffs do, or else the system that invisibility uses should be separated into a separate effect that can be called on any spell (and is no longer inherent to all invisibility effects)

2. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

You say that invisibility buffs should use the same mechanics as something, but you aren't specific enough to describe what you mean. I don't understand what it is that you don't like, nor do I understand what it is that you would prefer. Either I'm extremely thick or I'm probably not alone in not understanding your complaint.

Right now Invisibility is cancelled early if you do any kind of attack, if you use a skill, or use any item other than imbibing food, drink, a potion or a mushroom. I think that that's fair and I don't see a problem with that. What part of that do you not like?

Kazeto likes this.
  3. Bohandas

Bohandas Member

I apologize, I was a bit drunk when I typed that. As it is, invisibility is cancelled whenever you attack or cast a spell, but I think that they should instead either:

A.) Simply use the same system as buffs like "Venomous Infusion" and "Killing Blow", which disappear after a certain number of attacks.
    or
    B.) Same as option A except a new system would also be instituted for buffs that disappear after casting a certain number of spells.

Basically, for reasons of bookkeeping and easier modding, I want any cancellation of invisibility due to attacking (etc.) to have to be specified instead of being forced into an assumed standard..

4. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

It makes sense from a modding perspective, but it would be incredibly broken in game-play, I think
    Take the skill that gives you invisibility until n spell casts, and 6 melee skills, etc

Losing your invisibility when casting a non-aggressive spell is kind of a bummer, though

Kazeto likes this.
  5. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

But i don't think it's unreasonable. As it is, it's one of the best skills from Burglary that there is. I know that people rave about the lockpick skill and stealing, and all that. But invisibility is probably the best skill there is for saving your life when things get tough, assuming you have food and/or potions. The latter alone isn't going to do it deep in the dungeon while in combat. But with invisibility, you can get up to full, and get back into the fight. It's more reliable as a get-out-of-death-free card than even teleport. In my experience, so many people take it for granted. Yet as it is, it's one of the best skills in Dredmor.

If your problem though is with modding, and not with the skill itself, then maybe you should instead ask for something related to modding that does not break an existing skill.

Kazeto likes this.
  6. Gorbax

Gorbax Member

Yeah I guess it's alright. I just usually wait just a few turns too long to drop into stealth and I end up being cornered :p

It makes sense, too, I guess. Casting a spell probably takes a lot of focus and makes magic-y noise and vibrant visual effects. Whereas eating a glob of cheese can be done pretty stealthily.

Kazeto likes this.