Traps Into Components (Completed)

Discussion in 'Mod Releases' started by FaustoMartense, Jul 5, 2012.

1. DESCRIPTION:
    Transform traps into its crafting components. With this mod you can create a crafting Kit for a specific trap/mine that upon use will give you one of the items needed for crafting it. (Only works with craftable traps,)
    For example, the Crude Blade can be use to gather Iron Ingots, while the Tesla would give you Voltaic Cells. Each trap have a chance to summon a Pressure Plate aside from its components.

Right now it only works with craftable traps, since these Kits would give you the items named in the crafting recipe. If you want all the other traps please say so and let a suggestion for its crafting recipes. (Remember to name just traps that can be transformed into items and carry in the inventory.)

CHANGELOG:
    1.0 Published.

Attached Files:

2. Aegho

Aegho Member

I think the main problem with this is that for craftable traps... this is basically infinite reagents.

If you can disassemble 1 trap into the full reagents needed for the recepie, but the recepie creates multiple traps, you've got infinite recursion.

3. I am not understanding the problem. You do not get infinite reagents because you are limited by the traps you can found. It is the same as the Meltdown mod, but in this case you get a chance of getting one of the different reagents that form the trap. The number of Trap Kits do not increase with a higher level in Tinker.

I can add not craftable traps, but I would need ideas for the reagents. I started working with all the traps but some were difficult to match with a reagent, like the boulder plate. I picked the Rock Wand since it is the only one that have rocks on it but it doest feel quite right so I put all the non craftable traps aside.

4. OmniaNigrum

OmniaNigrum Member

Does this apply to Dragonbreath Caltrop Eruptors? They can be farmed easily. That means infinite.

5. Warlock

Warlock Member

It'll only apply after the wizardlands patch comes out, which shuts out the current recursive effect. If the caltrop eruptors are included in this after the expansion arrives, we'll see something like that happening for trap creation and farming.

6. Aegho

Aegho Member

There are pre-existing recepies to craft all of these traps, and they give increasing outputs the higher your skill is.
    So if you find one trap, then disassemble it, and get all the recepie parts, then you use those to craft new traps, you get multiple, then you can disassemble those, and make a larger batch of traps, etc.

Take for example Dwarven IED: with enough skills you get 5 of these from one craft. So if you find one, disassemble, recraft you now have 5, next iteration you have 25, then 125, then 625, and so on.

7. I understood your concern now Aegho, sorry it was not clear before. At least for me.
    In my defense I need to say that if you find one trap, disarm it into a Trap Kit and use it to get a reagent, you only get one and at random. So you can get two Pressure Plates that would not let you recraft the trap, or you can end with two Black Powders with the same effect.
    Still, lets say you get two Dwarven IED and luckily they give you the two reagents you need, I am afraid it would be exactly like you said.

Any idea on how to avoid abuses?

@OmniNegro/Warlock I added all the mines that have a recipe in the craftDBs. I did not find the DragonBreath Caltrop Eruptor, nor any of the other Eruptor.

:/ Sadly, now you pointed that abusable loop I am afraid this mod is useless.

8. Aegho

Aegho Member

I looked at your code: you get a pressure plate every time, and then there's a spawnfromlist that lists two black powder options. So the dwarven IED would indeed give you a kit that gave you everything you need to craft a new dwarven IED batch. (IE: You get pressure plate + black powder or black powder).

9. It doesnt matter... If the Kit do not give the two components with one use, you can use another Kit until you get to craft the trap. It would be slower at first but in the end the abusable loot is exactly like you pointed. Or would be different if I change the code for one or the other?

10. Aegho

Aegho Member

If you have only one trap, and you disassemble it and get 1 component, you wouldn't be able to start the loop. But say you wait til you get about 8 of them, or even craft your own to set it off? It runs into the problem eventually.

I have trap disassembly in my own crafter's helper mod, and while it can be abused to some extent, it will always only give you a specific reagent(IE: iron, or alchemical ooze, due to the peculiarities of that mod), but in previous incarnations of it, you got one of the base reagents, but always the same one, you never got a pressure plate. So to continue the cycle you would need to add pressure plates(and for more complex recepies, you'd have to add all the other reagents except the specified one).

Basically the trap kit idea is what causes the largest problem.
    If I have 1 dwarven ied, and it gives me 1 black powder when deconstructed, I still need a pressure plate to craft more, but that just turns 1 pressure plate into 5 black powders, which while quite abusive, never gets recursive. (Although to be honest, if you are set to abuse crafter's helper trap dismantling, I think you could get recursive simply because the mod allows you to transmute ingots into eachother. So blade traps could be turned to iron, which is turned to parts to make pressure plates, etc and I think that particular one would get recursive, but it's more work).

11. Aegho I just read your reply... for some reason I did not get an alert when you replied. I will try to change the reagent output to just one and never a Pressure Plate... that should balance things.