Translations into other languages?

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by Createx, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Createx

Createx Member

Well, yeah. Is there anything planned? For me it's ok in English, I'm nearly as fluent in it as in German, but in a game that has a lot of humor and little jokes like DoD, it seems to be a good idea to have it translated if possible :) I've got some pals who don't like to play much in English and probably wouldn't get half the jokes (I'm not sure I do :p).
    I know that GLG is a small company and currently busy with other projects, but is there an easy way to translate stuff? I might do it myself given some (lots?) of time and a bit of help in localizing the files and not screwing up the format and things like that.

EDIT:
    Ok, I got started on a translation.
    So far, all the damages and resistances have been done, also the options and the skill and item bar helps.
    I'd be grateful for anyone speaking German to take a quick look and tell me what you think :)

Attached Files:

2. Daynab

Daynab Community Moderator Staff Member

You can translate most of the game from text.xml, but some you can't. There was a discussion about it that Gaslamp would open up ways to do it in the future, but there's no time estimate for this yet.

3. Createx

Createx Member

Might give it a shot if I find time, at least for what's there :)

4. klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk Member

Whoever will translate it would probably have to replace many jokes, or they will turn into dull flavour text.

For example the description of parachute pants that it is impossible to touch them would mean nothing if translated into Czech/Slovak language, because the song they are refering to was not translated and not everyone (will there even be someone?) will make the connection just from the item icon. Also if some jokes are play on words, the translation will kill them too. Czech translation of Warcraft 3 has killed many such jokes (unit quotes).

Yes, it will be doable, but it will be a hard work if you want to keep the amount of humor.

5. Marak

Marak Member

That's what I was thinking; you'd have to have someone fully fluent in both languages, and even then I doubt much of the humor in Dredmor would translate well. It would be an absolute ton of work, and no matter how good of a job was done, a lot would be (literally) lost in the translation. It's too bad, really.

6. Createx

Createx Member

Now I'm even more willing to give it a shot :)
    My German should be fluent since I was born here and my English is ok as well, and it's way easier to translate into your mother tongue.
    Would be awesome if some other Germans here could double - check my translations then, if there are any around.

7. Balhichou

Balhichou Member

I'm already working on a French translation. From what I've seen, most of it is in the text.xml ; but items, for instance, are in itemsDB.xml. Skills and spells are in skillDB.xml and spellDB.xml. Monsters are in monDB.xml.

Many interface elements are in the UI folder : I think you'd have to manualy photo-edit those.

8. Createx

Createx Member

Quick question: Is Dr. Sanin a reference to someone/ something? If yes, I'll replace it with some other Beer joke from Germany, since I didn't get it :p

9. Balhichou

Balhichou Member

From what I searched, seems like it isn't. Pilsner is, according to wikipedia, a kind of beer. But no sign of Dr. Sanin.

10. Createx

Createx Member

Yeah, Pilsner is the most popular kind of beer over here :)

11. Kazeto

Kazeto Member

It is a reference to something. "Dr" was only added to make it funnier.

You might as well change it to "Doktor Oktoberfest" if you want to translate it into German.

12. Createx

Createx Member

First small part of translation is up, so far damages and resistances have been done.
    Still a looooong way to go :D

13. Balhichou

Balhichou Member

On my side, I'm done with a French text.xml. Haven't done the artifacts / place / monster names though, because of things such as masculine and feminine nouns in French. I need to find a workaround such as making longer names, or something.

14. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Member