Too Much loot, Q's, first impressions

Discussion in 'Dungeons of Dredmor General' started by unseen4ce, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Bushwhacker2k

Bushwhacker2k Member

Yeah, with my character I end up hoarding loot in piles on floor one (there's SO MUCH STUFFFFFF! D:!) but it gives me a lot of potential for crafting stuff (running a smith/tinkerer atm). Tbh I don't give much thought to lutefisking these days because I use burglary with every character I make, which gives me unlimited lockpicks (I have yet to ever put a single point past the starting skill in this and it is amazingly useful). according to the wiki each lutefisk gives a .2% chance of getting an artifact from the lutefisk god and each 125 guarantees an additional enchantment.

Tbh I'm curious about the levers as well, most of the time I can't tell, sometimes it opens a small opening in the wall with one piece of loot, sometimes it generates traps (which I like since I'm a heavy tinkerer :D) and sometimes (allegedly) it unlocks uberchests... but I pull every lever I find and many uberchests can't be opened, so I got no idea...

I have actually found that situation before, especially when it's an acid bolt trap, those sting! I generally just don't go through and maybe come back later when I can disarm it reliably.

I also enjoy roguelikes! :D Coincidentally I'd been listening to an Etrian Odyssey vgm less than half an hour before I read this post.

2. Marak

Marak Member

If you pull a lever and get the message, "you hear the sounds of machinery," that means that an UberChest™ somewhere just got unlocked. In older versions, loading a save would sometimes re-lock UberChests™ and then you had to ignore them or go lever-hunting again. For the current version they supposedly maintain their locked/unlocked status even if you save and reload.

3. Bushwhacker2k

Bushwhacker2k Member

If that's true then half the uberchests I've found don't have levers : /

Current char was made after the recent patch and yet I still can't open a bunch of uberchests, despite having pulled every lever I find.

4. Marak

Marak Member

I've heard rumours that some UberChests™ are opened by Levers on other Floors. I'm pretty sure this must be true because, like you, I've had Floors where I've yanked every lever and still had locked UberChests™ laying around. I personally don't think it's worth the hassle of trying to unlock UberChests™ by going up and down a Floor, looking for more levers, and then doubling back, but if you're a crazy completionist you could give it a whirl, I suppose.

5. Vykk Draygo

Vykk Draygo Member

Or possibly in unconnected rooms? Dunno if any of those are still floating around.

6. Haldurson

Haldurson Member

After I've totally explored level one on my current character, and hit every lever I could see, there's still one uberchest that I cannot open. I'll have to make it a point to go back there after I'm done with level 2 to test the theory.

7. kuhchung

kuhchung Member

I'm on level 5 and couldn't manage to open some chests on 2, 3, and 4. I suppose I can go back too. I have archaeology for once, I suppose I could at least send items to the museum now

8. Wrexxman

Wrexxman Member

I found that there was a couple of UberChests that I could only open once I complete all the quests on that dungeon level.

9. DavidB1111

DavidB1111 Member

Maybe some chests are just glitched, and don't work until you come back to that game/level later?
    I've run across a few chests that don't want to open ever...though.

I was happy the one time I found a really good item from them though. :) 2 Absorb on a ring. Oooh.

10. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

I found 3 Uberchests in a row once.

I was like 'Oooh I hope there is a fancy axe in there.'
    1st Chest: Fancy Sword
    2nd Chest: Fancy Staff
    3rd Chest: Fancy Mace

Ugh I'd have rather had them be monsters and got the XP from it.

11. Derakon

Derakon Member

I think you're thinking about Evil Chests. Uberchests are opened with levers and have artifacts of all types, Evil Chests are unlocked but have either a weapon or a monster.

12. IanExMachina

IanExMachina Member

Oops that I am.
    That I am.